Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]Failed to install Debian 6.0.6

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
chimneycz

[SOLVED]Failed to install Debian 6.0.6

#1 Post by chimneycz »

Hello,

I have installed Fedora 18 and Windows 7 on my laptop. I'd like to replace Fedora 18 with Debian 6.0.6.
Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE worked prefectly, but when i try install Debian i am able to boot to live system and do some stuff in terminal but i am not able to detect my harddrive.

my harddrive hardware -> MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8C1 ATA Device (ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB ATA Device).
I saved output form dmesg and fdsik -l command (int attachmets) but i dont understand it.
Attachments
Output.zip
terminal output
(11.8 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Last edited by chimneycz on 2013-03-08 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

dasein

Re: Failed to install Debian 6.0.6

#2 Post by dasein »

You're posting terminal output in a zip file?

Maybe reconsider...

chimneycz

#3 Post by chimneycz »

I typed my post from windows becouse i needed to find out my harddrive info, there are just txt files with output.

debil

#4 Post by debil »

Something like http://paste.debian.net/ should work under Windows too.
Q: Why is the Eunux kernel so bloated?
A: It was made in the image of its founder.

chimneycz

#5 Post by chimneycz »

thx for the link.
dmesg output: http://paste.debian.net/240350/
fdisk -l output: http://paste.debian.net/240352/

verahill

#6 Post by verahill »

fdisk shows a single fat32 partition, /dev/sda1. What are you expecting to see? From your description it sounds like you should have a couple of partitions, not just one. Are they all on the same physical drive or on different drives?

How many sd* devices are listed in /dev?

Code: Select all

ls /dev/sd*
Also, what do you specifically mean by not being able to detect your hdd? Have you tried mounting it manually? e.g.

Code: Select all

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
If it's not listed in /etc/fstab it shouldn't automount anyway.

With reference to what kmathern points out below: using a live CD/DVD isn't the canonical way of installing debian. Instead grab e.g. a business-card iso and boot from it. It will detect your HDD and guide you through the installation.
Last edited by verahill on 2013-03-08 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------
http://verahill.blogspot.com
OPs: don't forget to mark your (first) post as solved when the issue has been resolved.

kmathern

#7 Post by kmathern »

From looking at line 176 of the dmesg:
[ 0.000000] Kernel command line: initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live config quiet BOOT_IMAGE=/live/vmlinuz
this doesn't look like a regular install, it looks like a LiveCD/LiveDVD or a "poor man's" install.

nadir

#8 Post by nadir »

Yeah, but that is what he said above:
Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE worked prefectly, but when i try install Debian i am able to boot to live system and do some stuff in terminal but i am not able to detect my harddrive.
I looked at both pastebin's, but can't figure out nothing neither (that doesn't say much, as my hardware foo is low).
LIke said in an earlier post: I too am not sure what the OP expects to see. Another hardisk or another partition?
This way or that way i would run one of the distributions which work (Ukuluku, Fedora or OpenSuse) and check with gparted if anything can be seen (I think Fedora and OpenSuse have other gui-tools to handle that). Perhaps run "e2fsck" for the partion debian can't find.
I would also try the default debian iso (default is wrong, i mean any which goes straight for installation), not the liveCD
To make it more clear here i would also post the output from "fdisk -l " while running one of those distributions (as liveCD).
But i am shooting in the dark without a clue.

PS: I missed that verahill has edited his post and already proposed to use a regular installation CD.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

chimneycz

#9 Post by chimneycz »

I tried to change my installer (from squeeze to wheezy) and now all works well. Problem solved :D