Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Hexchat on repository debian

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Rocker85

Hexchat on repository debian

#1 Post by Rocker85 »

A_T

Re: Hexchat on repository debian

#2 Post by A_T »

Yes the best IRC client I've used. I've compiled it on my Sid - would be a welcome addition to the repo

nadir

#3 Post by nadir »

I think the workflow looks like this
(all that creating of directories and moving around is to get a git-repo.
I wouldn't bet that it is necessary, but i think so)
Don't take my word for nothing. It is late and i wrote it from the top of my head. If commands don't work assume i borked
the path somehow.

mkdir hexchat
cd !$
Due to the git-repo-creating voodoo we need three work-folders:
mkdir upstream git-build dh-make
download the tar.gz to upstream directory just created

go to the git-build directory and import the *tar.gz from upstream directory
cd git-build
git init
git-import-orig --pristine-tar ../upstream/hexchat-2.9.4.tar.gz

got to the dh-make directory and create a debian/ folder template with dh_make
cd ../dh-make
cp -a ../upstream/*tar.gz .
tar -xzf *tar.gz
mv hexchat-2.9.4.tar.gz hexchat_2.9.4.orig.tar.gz
cd hexchat-2.9.4
dh_make
Run
dpkg-buildpackage
to make sure it builds correctly

Go back to the git-build and copy the debian-folder from the dh-make directory in place
cd ../../git-build
cp -a ../dh-make/hexchat-2.9-4/debian .
Edit the following files in the debian/ directory
changelog
control
copyright
You can remove the bigger part of the *ex files in the debian/ directory (perhaps even all)

Now add debian/ directory to git
git add debian/
git commit -m "adding debian/ directory"

To edit changelog you will need to send an ITP. Try something like this to bugs@debian.org:
subject line:
ITP: hexchat -- an irc client
content:
package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: YourName <yourname@example.com>

*Package Name : hexchat
 Version : 2.9.4
 Upstream Author : I-don't-know-Sorry
*URL :  http://hexchat.org/
*License : I-don't-know-Sorry
*Description :  IRC client based on xchat

Add the ITP number to the file debian/changelog

Build it with git-buildpackage:
git-buildpackage
Make sure it is lintian clean
cd ..
lintian -iIEcv --pedantic --color auto *.changes

Run it with pbuilder to be sure you got the right Depends: in debian/control.
sudo pbuilder create
sudo pbuilder build *dsc
(you will need to edit visudo for that)
If it succeeds test the result ( /var/cache/pbuilder/result ) once again with lintian (won't hurt).

Upload the git-build directory to a git-host, say gitorious.
git push --all
git push --tags

-
Now it is time to send a RFS to find a sponsor.
Make sure to mention that it is lintian clean, that it builds in pbuilder and where the git-repo is to be found.
There is more to be done, probably, and you will get the info now via email.
(Truth to be told: I am not that sure with the RFS. I am sure you will figure it out).

As you can see this is a question of time too. I guess you sure help someone who wants to upload it if you do all of the investigating work and then just ask for a sponsor.
Lots of things are difficult, sure, but a lot of that simply takes loads of time.
As far i can see this package builds nice and easy, but i only had a very quick look (and am not experienced neither)

---
If all you want is to use it yourself:
download the tar.gz, unpack it, rename the tar.gz to name_version.orig.tar.gz
cd to the unpacked source
dh_make
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
Call it a day

---
Like said: This is just the general idea and as far i can tell. It might contain errors, and horrible ones. Else i would have used code-tags for the commands. This it _not_ a how-to. It is a bit of chat in the night (ok, ok, and a tiny wee bit of bigmouthing ... :-) )
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

nadir

#4 Post by nadir »

Mhhh... i think the above looks more confusing than it is.
What i try to do is:

a) create a directory to download the upstream tar.gz
b) create a directory to run "dh_make" to get a debian/ folder template
c) create a directory for a git repo, and import the upstream-tar.gz to there, then
d) copy the debian/ folder template to the git repo directory
e) edit changelog, copyright and control
f) make a couple of tests, if all is good (as far possible)
g) upload the result to a git-host
h) try to find a sponsor for it

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

I would use someone else's hard work. Get the orig.tar.gz and a debian.tar.gz file from here:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/gwendal-lebiha ... h/hexchat/

Extract both, and put the /debian folder inside the extracted source folder. Tah-dah! Debianized source.

You should modify the first stanza of the debian/changelog so it reads stable or unstable instead of some ubuntu release, and remove any release from the version---2.9.4-0 instead of 2.9.4~blah-blah-blah, for example.
Also scan the /debian control file to install the build-depends, and edit out any "ubuntu" that appears in any package names.

Then build as normal.
MX Linux packager and developer

craigevil

#6 Post by craigevil »

One word irssi. Nothing beats it.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Rocker85

#7 Post by Rocker85 »

craigevil wrote:One word irssi. Nothing beats it.
For TUI is better weechat

But Hexchat is user-friendly so useful for those who want simplicity in debian

debil

#8 Post by debil »

Rocker85 wrote:
craigevil wrote:One word irssi. Nothing beats it.
For TUI is better weechat
Yup. I used to like irssi but weechat-curses kind of went better with mah flow (sic). (I don't really use IRC anyway anymore but meh...)
Q: Why is the Eunux kernel so bloated?
A: It was made in the image of its founder.

nadir

#9 Post by nadir »

Any client which informs me via systray that i was ping'ed is better than irssi. For me.
If rocking on the command line and only chatting in one channel, screen split with screen or byobu, one part coding one part irssi, perhaps one part for a web-browser too, then irssi is ok.
I can look at irssi, all the time, and hence am able to see if someone says something to me.

But then: i never really tried to configure it. Perhaps there are plugins which can help?
As far i can see: in the future it still will be of the very few things where i really prefer a gui. I don't use the commandline to be leet, but because it usually is better. I don't use it where it doesn't make sense to me.

Rocker85

#10 Post by Rocker85 »

nadir wrote:Any client which informs me via systray that i was ping'ed is better than irssi. For me.
If rocking on the command line and only chatting in one channel, screen split with screen or byobu, one part coding one part irssi, perhaps one part for a web-browser too, then irssi is ok.
I can look at irssi, all the time, and hence am able to see if someone says something to me.

But then: i never really tried to configure it. Perhaps there are plugins which can help?
As far i can see: in the future it still will be of the very few things where i really prefer a gui. I don't use the commandline to be leet, but because it usually is better. I don't use it where it doesn't make sense to me.
i agree...i use shell for resolve problems but i hate software TUI :P

craigevil

#11 Post by craigevil »

irssi has a ton of configs and scripts. My main reason for using it, it uses way less resources than a GUI would. Never ussed screen wouldn't even know where to begin.

I get popup notifications when anyone says anything to me. Clock, google search, weather, etc all right in irssi.
web::irssi::scripts - http://scripts.irssi.org/
Irssi the irc client that rocks - LinuxQuestions.org - http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ocks-2957/

Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

nadir

#12 Post by nadir »

The clock is in my panel, to search the web i use a web-browser and if i want to know about the weather i lift the curtains (yeah, it doesn't happen often).
If i ever run in the script which gives me any form of notification if i get ping'ed i will use it (assuming it contains the how-to do so too and it is nice and easy).

screen? Depends what you want to do with it.

Code: Select all

screen
Wait. What was that? Nothing happened at all, or?
start rtorrent, add torrents and let them download
type

ctrl+A +d
(perhaps upper D, not sure right now)
to detach and you can log out of ssh, rtorrent still running. Come back later and type:

screen -r
and you are back in rtorrents interface.
You can do the same in a local session, to free the terminal, but for that it is perhaps more easy to use a second tab in the terminal (or a tty). Otoh you don't need to click around to find wherever you started it. Just run screen -r from any terminal and you are attached to it.

splitting the terminal:
screen
ctrl+a + s for a horizontal split
ctrl+a + | for a vertical one
ctrl+a + tab to switch between them
ctrl+a + c to create a new "session" in the new split
ctrl+a +a to switch between whateveryoucallit (what you create with ctr+a +c)
ctrl+a +q to quit the split view

Much more i don't use. For the second paragraph i often use :vsplit in vim since i discovererd it. It is rather a little part of what can be done with screen. I assume.

-
I am often on really low resource. I use the commandline for whatever i think makes sense. lynx is not bad. twidge is not bad. xmms2 is good. etc. vim is just vim. The alpha and omega of all computing. But irssi? It is a bit beyond me (with full resources i use pidgin, else xchat). Perplex i should try a bit harder (as soon i got time and interest ...)

boudiccas

#13 Post by boudiccas »

stevepusser wrote:I would use someone else's hard work. Get the orig.tar.gz and a debian.tar.gz file from here:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/gwendal-lebiha ... h/hexchat/

Extract both, and put the /debian folder inside the extracted source folder. Tah-dah! Debianized source.

You should modify the first stanza of the debian/changelog so it reads stable or unstable instead of some ubuntu release, and remove any release from the version---2.9.4-0 instead of 2.9.4~blah-blah-blah, for example.
Also scan the /debian control file to install the build-depends, and edit out any "ubuntu" that appears in any package names.

Then build as normal.
Has anyone actually got this to work? I've spent all afternoon trying to gitify it, and i cant get it to be built or install it either from the ubuntu debs. I'm on uptodate jessie with minimal updates from sid, and i'd really like to use this if anyone can help please?

Thanks
Sharon.