Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

samsung galaxy grand connection error

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
aditya patil

samsung galaxy grand connection error

#1 Post by aditya patil »

i have recently bought the new samsung galaxy grand duos.when i connected it to my debian squeeze machine, the phone shows an error
this is what it looks like-

Code: Select all

Unable to find software on your 
PC that can recognize your 
device .Service pack 3,Windows Media Player,version  11 
or higher, or samsung USB
Driver for windows XP, or 
Android file transfer for Mac OS
must be installed (see www.microsoft.com or www.android.com/filetransfer)
the websites give info only on connecting it to windows and Mac OS

and as always,thanks in advance

cynwulf

Re: samsung galaxy grand connection error

#2 Post by cynwulf »

As far as I know there is no longer USB mass storage support on the new Android devices, MTP only. MTP support is native in windows and I believe there is support from Android for Mac OSX.

//edit: Have a read here: http://androidforums.com/computers/4995 ... vices.html

What can I say... it's google, it's a modified Linux kernel and not much else, so don't expect automatic GNU/Linux support...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol
Unsurprisingly Microshaft and DRM feature heavily...

aditya patil

#3 Post by aditya patil »

so is there no way i can connect my phone to my machine?

is there any way of doing reverse tethering without connecting it via usb?

and as always, thanks in advance

cynwulf

#4 Post by cynwulf »

This is not a Debian specific problem - in fact the "blame" for this lies squarely with Android for intentionally removing USB storage support from their OS/software. You need to take your question to the various Android support forums out there.

AnInkedSoul

#5 Post by AnInkedSoul »

cynwulf wrote:.... in fact the "blame" for this lies squarely with Android for intentionally removing USB storage support from their OS/software.
Actually it doesnt sound like android removed support for mass storage but rather are unable to use it for devices that lack distinct storage areas or something weird like that. In other words it seems to be device specific.

AnInkedSoul

#6 Post by AnInkedSoul »

aditya patil wrote:i have recently bought the new samsung galaxy grand duos.when i connected it to my debian squeeze machine, the phone shows an error
how are you connecting?
what are you wanting to do?

nadir

#7 Post by nadir »

While i didn't know about the problems described above
(the enhancement of android)
hence am not up to date anyway,
i would still try to work around it by other methods (say with running a ssh-server, like "ssh droid", on the android, up and download via dropbox or minus, unplug the SD-card and put it in the laptop, check some of the file-managers in the shop/market/whatever-they-call-it, check the linux-installer, vnc, etc. Like said: i am not up to date. Just some ideas).

Well: i would probably not use android anymore, but that would be a strange answer.
I didn't care to enter the new wpa-key to the android as of yet (and probably won't care about it in the future neither).
All your data are belong to us.
cynwulf: It's google
If folks would spend 1/10 of the time they spend on learning their phones on learning how to use their computer this world would be a better place.
Perhaps.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

cynwulf

#8 Post by cynwulf »

AnInkedSoul wrote:Actually it doesnt sound like android removed support for mass storage but rather are unable to use it for devices that lack distinct storage areas or something weird like that. In other words it seems to be device specific.
I believe you are correct, but the Android people seem to be fully onboard with killing UMS support.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comment ... s_storage/

It seems that Apple users have an option: http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by sunrat »

Apparently dropping UMS was unavoidable in some of the new Android devices with only a single storage area, where previous ones had separate storage for OS and user files. To use UMS meant unmounting the storage area which obviously you can't do with the OS running from it. This has the advantage though of making all the spare space available for the user.
I searched about this yesterday and the most promising solution appears to be go-mtpfs - https://github.com/hanwen/go-mtpfs
You may need some tweaking to get libusb to compile. The README shows how to build with libusb1-dev but Debian packages are different so you'll have to work out which ones work, if any. golang-go is available in wheezy and sid.

I'm happy I have a Galaxy S2 which has 2 storage areas, and both UMS and MTP work. :)
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

I do know that golang-go from wheezy will backport on Squeeze without any problems. Let me check out the rest of the go-mtpfs build-depends; I think it did need gtk 3

Edit: or a simpler solution may be backporting libmtp 1.1.5 and gmtp from Experimental. Maybe also mtpfs from Sid.
MX Linux packager and developer

digivijay_09

#11 Post by digivijay_09 »

I am also having the exact problem on my Galaxy Grand Duos, tried to download and use samsung USB Driver for windows XP from various websites
but still not able to connect my phone as mass storage device, please help..

And one more thing, I also tried to transfer my media files on Galaxy Grad Duos to my computer through Bluetooth with the help of BlueSoleil Bluetooth file transfer service, and
with that also i m not able to transfer any file. It keeps on saying connection error / service not available. I thought it might be the Bluetooth device problem, but its not that
as its working perfectly fine with other mobile phone...

Please suggest what can be done to resolve this issue... :roll:

nitchith

#12 Post by nitchith »

I am also having the same problem.what i did is i connected it to parallels.
from windows i could easily connect it to my mobile.
No need to worry much about installing parallels it is trial version and i always change the date to use it again :D

nitchith

#13 Post by nitchith »

SINCE I DO NOT ALWAYS TRANSFER DATA TO MY MOBILE IT'S OK TO ME.
BUT THIS IS NOT MUCH BETTER IDEA.I TRIED USING KIES AND ANDROID FILE TRANSFER BUT I COULDN'T FIND ANY USE

tequila

#14 Post by tequila »

i dont like samsung galaxy grand i seen many issue in this mobile

llivv

#15 Post by llivv »

sunrat wrote:Apparently dropping UMS was unavoidable in some of the new Android devices with only a single storage area, where previous ones had separate storage for OS and user files. To use UMS meant unmounting the storage area which obviously you can't do with the OS running from it. This has the advantage though of making all the spare space available for the user.
)
It doesn't make sense to me yet.
What's the diff? one partition or two partitions?
or
system ram and sd storage?
They still use a sim, don't they?
geeez, what will they try to sell us next? an interactive holographic display?
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.