Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Objection about Mez (Title set by Mez)

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
cynwulf

Objection about Mez (Title set by Mez)

#1 Post by cynwulf »

Mez, sorry to be blunt but I see you're now a "server admin"... In view of this can you please go back to whatever it was you were doing between March 2012 and March 2013 and let the newly appointed admins run the site.

£0.02

llivv

Re: Politics of Free and Open Source

#2 Post by llivv »

cynwulf wrote:Mez, sorry to be blunt but I see you're now a "server admin"... In view of this can you please go back to whatever it was you were doing between March 2012 and March 2013 and let the newly appointed admins run the site.

£0.02
£0.02?
sounds like a bit more than £0.02 to me.
Would you like to elaborate on what you believe is the real issue regarding mez comment?
And any thoughts about what you believe mez has been doing this year?

personally,
the members of this forum may believe this forum runs from fuel produced by their freedoms alone.

Mez thanks for all the work you have done to keep this forum online for us to use.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

nadir

#3 Post by nadir »

llivv wrote: the members of this forum may believe this forum runs from fuel produced by their freedoms alone.
Nah.
You will need a server, a lamp and phpbb too.
The last two are for free. If you can't find the first in the garbage or can't afford electricity costs you can use freeforums for free.
Else? Dunno. Ten bucks a months? No?
Ah. You will need users. That might be the hard part.

edit: corrected the link.
Last edited by nadir on 2013-03-22 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

cynwulf

#4 Post by cynwulf »

llivv wrote:
cynwulf wrote:Mez, sorry to be blunt but I see you're now a "server admin"... In view of this can you please go back to whatever it was you were doing between March 2012 and March 2013 and let the newly appointed admins run the site.

£0.02
£0.02?
Would you like to elaborate on what you believe is the real issue regarding mez comment?

personally,
the members of this forum may believe this forum runs from fuel produced by their freedoms alone.

Mez thanks for all the work you have done to keep this forum online for us to use.
You must have a short memory. Years of continual spam? You're forgetting that the staff, except for craigevil, were mostly absent and that spambot accounts were left to build up...

During this period craigevil and the spamhunters were having to fight this problem with the limited tools they had available... forgot that as well?

//edit: I see the thread butchers are at work...
Last edited by cynwulf on 2013-03-22 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

llivv

#5 Post by llivv »

cynwulf wrote:
llivv wrote:

£0.02
£0.02?

personally,

You must have a short memory. Years of continual spam? You're forgetting that the staff, except for craigevil, were mostly absent and that spambot accounts were left to build up...

During this period craigevil and the spamhunters were having to fight this problem with the limited tools they had available... forgot that as well?
complaining to those who are trying to help you seems futile to me
as always, YMMV.
prehaps we might revisit Jeromes reasons for handing the server over.
your call.

Mez
Debian Developer, Forum Ninja

Re: Objection about Mez (Title set by Mez)

#6 Post by Mez »

Split this off as it wasn't relevant to the original thread. I've also given it a more relevant title.

Cynwulf - if you have objections to me - please be clear and concise about what they are.

nadir

-

#7 Post by nadir »

cynwulf wrote: During this period craigevil and the spamhunters were having to fight this problem with the limited tools they had available... forgot that as well?
There is no need for a good memory.
All needed is a searchengine.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=83837
(so: what cynwulf says is not correct. There have been only spamhunters for months. craigevil and saulgoode both withdraw. That didn't seem to have worked. Anyone has any idea why? ). I am getting old and perhaps saulgoode did not withdrawl but simply said he would stop doing anything (but spamhunting).

I for one got no objections, not about Mez and not about anyone else (not that anyone would ask me). I only post in the interest of science (history, in this case) and use the freedom to post what i think . iow: The thread title is a bit misleading (at least as far i am concerned).

jalu, huh? just another linux user. I like that name. Does it give freedom? Just a user? Oh yes, it does. The ego needs a position you say? Well, mine is big enough. If i want a position i log into raspberry and am the uber-god of an empty , one-man forum .... :-)
complaining to those who are trying to help you seems futile to me
You really should stop taking lsd. Helping cynwulf? With what? Helping him to help others? I don't get it.
Let's hope everyone will be sane again once the new colors are given (but then: if one has some buttons in the admins panel one will want to use them ... oh my).
Last edited by nadir on 2013-03-22 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

llivv

#8 Post by llivv »

nadir wrote: You really should stop taking lsd. Helping cynwulf? With what? Helping him to help others? I don't get it.
Let's hope everyone will be sane again once the new colors are given (but then: if one has some buttons in the admins panel one will want to use them ... oh my).
Again, one can only speak for oneself,
unless they would like to speak for others as well.
Do we not?
Perhaps the german will say it bitte in this case.

nadir

-

#9 Post by nadir »

Sure i speak for myself.
For whom else ?
Do i need to mention in each and every post that i speak for myself?
Ok.
I just spoke for myself.
I also spoke for myself in all other posts i have made.
I will speak for myself in all future posts i will make.

Oh. Let me follow the other vogue too: Thanks (for work, or hard work, or just being there, or being absent, or whatever). Sounds sarcastic? I don't seem to be good at it. For that i am grateful.

cynwulf

#10 Post by cynwulf »

Mez wrote:Split this off as it wasn't relevant to the original thread. I've also given it a more relevant title.

Cynwulf - if you have objections to me - please be clear and concise about what they are.
I replied to your post in the other thread - splitting it off has removed context...

To spell it out, though it shouldn't be necessary, you have been absent for around 12 months, or if you have been here you haven't posted, haven't responded to forum feedback posts, I haven't seen you moderating anything or removing spam or answering questions or doing anything in fact...

During yours and the other admins' absence, others have been painstakingly dealing with the spam problem with the inadequate tools you allowed them - because you and the other admins refused to setup other admins on account of them not being "debian members". This has obviously changed.

Now you're back and you're renaming threads, moderating, moving stuff - when it's not needed.

12 months ago there was a need for you - nuke the spambot accounts, install better captcha work on what needed to be worked on. You were AWOL.

Now we have 6 admins 1 moderator and 3 spamhunters... yet here you are renaming threads, moderating, moving stuff - when it's not needed.

Moving people's posts, telling people what to post and such like... you're even posting stuff like vbrummond needs to be "purple" first before he can be a moderator - even though vbrummond has proven himself time and time again here and has contributed infinitesimally more to this forum than you have.

In my opinion you forfeited your right to be involved in this board long ago - you should let the people appointed as admins run this site without you jumping into the driving seat.

llivv

#11 Post by llivv »

cynwulf wrote:In my opinion you forfeited your right to be involved in this board long ago - you should let the people appointed as admins run this site without you jumping into the driving seat.
we all have our own opinions.
Fact is, Mex is in the drivers seat ( as you put it ).
Like it or not.

Personally, I'm on cloud nine now that we finally have tools and personell setup
to make a dent in the forums bot problem.

Mez did that.

Mez

#12 Post by Mez »

cynwulf wrote:Now you're back and you're renaming threads, moderating, moving stuff - when it's not needed.
Actually - THIS is the only thread I've split out. To allow a frank discussion regarding me - and not to hijack the other thread. It's the right place for it to be. Here. In the "Forum Feedback" forum. And, that doesn't make part of your original argument - as it happened AFTER you made your original comment.

Mez

#13 Post by Mez »

Also - let me make a quiet point. DSA have on at least 3 occasions tried to shut this board down.

Without a Debian Developer backing it, they'll and I quote
Drop the CNAME and kill the forums

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#14 Post by 4D696B65 »

arochester wrote:Please forgive my ignorance, but who or what is DSA?
http://dsa.debian.org/

sgcb

#15 Post by sgcb »

Mez wrote:DSA have on at least 3 occasions tried to shut this board down.
Links for the curious?

Mez

#16 Post by Mez »

sgcb wrote:
Mez wrote:DSA have on at least 3 occasions tried to shut this board down.
Links for the curious?
I can possibly dig out one of them (have a search in debian-project). And maybe another (if it was a logged IRC channel). The other was done via private mail so no link.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#17 Post by 4D696B65 »

I among others was disappointed with the non-response from the admin side of things and IMHO rightly so.
Since my short time as an admin I have learned alot of what goes on behind the scenes.
Mez is the reason this forum is here to begin with and he is the reason it is still here.

Lets cut him a break and say thank you.

sgcb

#18 Post by sgcb »

Mez wrote:I can possibly dig out one of them (have a search in debian-project).
found this thread which references a security/spam issue as the underlying problem.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#19 Post by arochester »

I am going to lock this topic. If you fundamentally disagree please PM me.

I believe the basic purpose of this Forum is for Users to ask questions and Users to give answers about using Debian. I think this line does nothing to improve on this.

Any problems appear to be behind us and will not benefit by being raked over. Potential is in front of us.

I am very,very, very grateful to Mez and the changes he has made.