Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian backports are now an official part of Debian

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.

vbrummond

Re: Debian backports are now an official part of Debian

#2 Post by vbrummond »

I am quite ok with backports being better supported. :) It makes it possible (awesome) to run stable on newer hardware.
Always on Debian Testing

dasein

#3 Post by dasein »

Because spambots often "recycle" thread titles, when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought I was going to have a chance to nuke my first spam of the day.

I think a much better title would be "Official Wheezy Backports Announced" (or some such), to differentiate it from this annoucement

heminder

#4 Post by heminder »

That's awesome!

craigevil

#5 Post by craigevil »

Entire announcement for those that do not like clicking links:
Backports integrated in the main archive

March 20th, 2013

The Debian project is pleased to announce that the backports service for the next stable release Debian 7 (codename "Wheezy") will be part of the main archive. Backports are packages mostly from the testing distribution (and in few cases from unstable too, e.g. security updates) recompiled in a stable environment so that they will run without new libraries (whenever it is possible) on the Debian stable distribution. While as for now this service was provided on a separated archive, starting with wheezy-backports the packages will be accessible from the regular pool.
The users of "Wheezy" will have to add to their sources.list file this entry:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-backports main

All users of the service are invited to check their regular mirror if it carries backports and pull from there. Please note that this change does not affect the current stable release Debian 6 (codename "Squeeze").
Debian -- News -- Backports integrated in the main archive - http://www.debian.org/News/2013/20130320
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

buntunub

#6 Post by buntunub »

That's great news!