Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

problem downloading youtube videos?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
shams

problem downloading youtube videos?

#1 Post by shams »

I have slow internet connection and cannot watch youtube video online so i have to download them slowly and then watch them from the hard disk, i use the youtube-dl, cclive and quvi but get this error:
:: Check for URL redirection ...done.
:: Fetch config ...done.
:: Verify media URL ...error: server response code 503 (conncode=0)
youtube] Setting language
WARNING: unable to set language: HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable
[youtube] cWaKNt6NIwY: Downloading video webpage
ERROR: unable to download video webpage: HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable
any help please?

stevepusser

Re: problem downloading youtube videos?

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Youtube changes their APIs seemingly at random every so often, and this has the effect of breaking the video downloaders. If you are using an older version of those downloaders, you may need to get an updated version that will handle the new APIs. Or use one of the many extensions for Mozilla browsers that will do it from the browser, such as Flashgot. The newer releases of Minitube and SMPlayer can also download video.
Last edited by stevepusser on 2013-04-26 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

kedaha

#3 Post by kedaha »

I had no luck with quvi but I tried cclive 0.7.9-1 in wheezy and it works fine.
youtube-dl is not currently available in wheezy so - out of curiosity - I built a backported version from sid using the SimpleBackportCreation recipe and this works fine too.
I used the same procedure to backport minitube 1.9 from sid to wheezy rather than building the latest version 2.0 directly from source.

Code: Select all

$ apt-cache policy cclive minitube quvi youtube-dl |grep "Installed"
  Installed: 0.7.9-1
  Installed: 1.9-1~bpo60+1
  Installed: 0.4.2-1
  Installed: 2012.09.27+dfsg1-1~bpo60+1
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

shams

#4 Post by shams »

Thanks for replies i installed the latest packages of the cclive and libquvi-scripts with aptitude and download the latest source of youtube-dl but still get the error:
apt-cache policy cclive libquvi-scripts |grep "Installed"
Installed: 0.7.9-1
Installed: 0.4.8-3
This is the error of cclive:
Checking ... .... ....libquvi: error: /usr/share/libquvi-scripts/lua/website/youtube.lua:107: server response code 503 (conncode=0)
i also installed the firefox extensions flashgot also get the error connection refused.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Hmmm, how about minitube 1.9? Can that play video? I would think that if it can access the .mp4 files while playing them, it should also be able to download them.

Or maybe it's your ISP blocking those downloads for some reason.

shams

#6 Post by shams »

I use debian wheezy and think minitube deb package is not avaliable in wheezy.

kedaha

#7 Post by kedaha »

shams wrote:I use debian wheezy and think minitube deb package is not avaliable in wheezy.
With a slow internet connection it might take quite some time but you can easily backport the 1.9-1 version currently available in sid (anyone reading this in the future may need to browse the debian.org/debian/pool/ for future versions):
Requisites:

$ su -c "apt-get install devscripts build-essential"
Now from the following or some other mirror continue with:

$ dget -u http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/m/minitube/minitube_1.9-1.dsc

$ cd minitube-1.9
$ grep Build-Depends debian/control
This will show if you need to install anything else; for example you might need to proceed:

$ su -c "apt-get install cdbs debhelper libqt4-dev libphonon-dev hardening-wrapper"
Now run

$ dch --bpo
and maybe add something like Simple Backport after the second asterisk if you like and exit and then, if you wish test if you can check it will build with:

$ fakeroot debian/rules binary
Or build it directly with

$ dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
Us the ls command so you can cut and paste the exact deb name:
Su to root and do (your resulting package name may be slightly different to mine);

# dpkg -i minitube_1.9-1~bpo60+1_amd64.changes
Similarly, to backport to wheezy the sid version of youtube-dl, if you'd like to try it, the main steps are:

$ dget -u http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/y/youtube-dl/youtube-dl_2012.09.27+dfsg1-1.dsc
$ ls
$ cd youtube-dl-2012.09.27+dfsg1
$ grep Build-Depends debian/control
$ dch --bpo
$ dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
Please also see wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation.
DebianStable

$ vrms

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

Or these backported packages (i386 and amd64 only) should be fine in Wheezy (the mcr85+1 debs should work with the Squeeze QT4, too.)

http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testr ... /minitube/

But it's fun (maybe?) and instructive to build your own, too.

I believe minitube 2.0 requires QT4 4.8 or greater.

Mr B

#9 Post by Mr B »

you could try using http://en.savefrom.net/ - no software needed...

dru8274

#10 Post by dru8274 »

kedaha wrote:youtube-dl is not currently available in wheezy so - out of curiosity - I built a backported version from sid using the SimpleBackportCreation recipe and this works fine too.
I've had lots of success with youtube-dl, and have downloaded untold youtube videos over the last year. But the problem is that if people install youtube-dl through apt-get, they may think they are ready to go, but they are not. The youtube-dl script on github changes often - perhaps two or three times in the last week alone. And those changes don't show up in the youtube-dl in the unstable repos.

In short, the youtube-dl download script is only updated to the current version when the youtube-dl update command is run from the commandline.

$ sudo youtube-dl --update
At risk of commiting heresy, apt-get isn't really that useful for youtube-dl, coz it doesn't keep it updated - only the youtube-dl update command above does. Indeed, my youtube-dl was install from github - a single python script that sits in my ~/bin folder. And provided it is updated often, youtube-dl works really well.

kedaha

#11 Post by kedaha »

dru8274 wrote: I've had lots of success with youtube-dl, and have downloaded untold youtube videos over the last year. But the problem is that if people install youtube-dl through apt-get, they may think they are ready to go, but they are not. The youtube-dl script on github changes often - perhaps two or three times in the last week alone. And those changes don't show up in the youtube-dl in the unstable repos.

In short, the youtube-dl download script is only updated to the current version when the youtube-dl update command is run from the commandline.

$ sudo youtube-dl --update
At risk of commiting heresy, apt-get isn't really that useful for youtube-dl, coz it doesn't keep it updated - only the youtube-dl update command above does. Indeed, my youtube-dl was install from github - a single python script that sits in my ~/bin folder. And provided it is updated often, youtube-dl works really well.
Thanks for your reply; From what you say and having had a look at rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/, it seems that installing it from a Debian repository doesn't look very promising at all. I wouldn't like to be the package maintainer for something like youtube-dl, knowing that ones package - once released - may be outdated within a week. :shock:'
DebianStable

$ vrms

sgcb

#12 Post by sgcb »

been using youtube-dl 2012.09.27 with no knowledge of --update for a while now... everything seems fine with no breakages

dru8274

#13 Post by dru8274 »

sgcb wrote:been using youtube-dl 2012.09.27 with no knowledge of --update for a while now... everything seems fine with no breakages
Glad to hear it. Nevertheless, whenever someone posts a youtube-dl error onto a forum, the most likely reason is because their youtube-dl is not updated to current.

For examples, see here and here.

$ youtube-dl --version

Juniore45

#14 Post by Juniore45 »

Hey, to download YouTube videos, I recommend you to try the free online ways. There are now many free web services which is designed for downloading videos from video sites. From my own experiences, the free online app - videoripper.me can download YouTube videos by entering just the video url.

Hope what I say can bright your day. Bye bye.

stevesr0

#15 Post by stevesr0 »

For another reason, I want to view youtube videos in VLC.

There is a youtube.lua file in the /usr/lib/vlc/lua/playlist directory.

This should allow viewing of the video in VLC by copying the url into the network stream line.

However, periodically, YouTube changs something and this messes up the extraction.

The videolan developers have posted a solution in the form of a script which will update with changes in YouTube.

I installed it today and it worked with a file that had not.

Link: forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=111977&p=379147#p379147

Hope that is helpful.