Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Post your booting time

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Lou

#21 Post by Lou »

ethyrdude wrote: I decided to download a new netinstall iso, I couldn't find one for unstable so I downloaded the new etch installer,
If you put 'expert26' at the prompt (at the beginning of the install), it will give you a choice of stable, testing, and unstable. Skip the packages section, do a update/dist-upgrade, and install xfce4 and whatever else you fancy.

From button press on to login takes 30 seconds but I'm not using any gui for the login. once I log in, it takes 2 seconds to show the user prompt. I then type in "startxfce4" which I will automate later and 12 seconds later Xfce4 is fully loaded. I was using Fluxbox and DR17 (Enlightenment) but I decided to go with the mouse.
just put this in your .xinitrc:

#!/bin/sh

<whatever app you also want to start> &
xfce4-session

save/exit
startx

I did it with a business card iso (37 MB):

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=11822

as for booting time, i'm down to 24 seconds after POST to login. I installed 'sysvconfig' and disabled:

ifupdown
networking
openbsd-inetd
rc.local

of course this is strictly subjective, i got dhcp, no lan . :)
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

michael7

#22 Post by michael7 »

From the grub menu to the login menu, 20 seconds.

I'm running the standard Etch 64-bit version on an AMD64 Dual Core box with 2 GB of RAM. This is the fastest booting OS I have ever used.
Live simply so that others may simply live.
Debian Social Contract

gillbates

#23 Post by gillbates »

michael7 wrote:From the grub menu to the login menu, 20 seconds.

I'm running the standard Etch 64-bit version on an AMD64 Dual Core box with 2 GB of RAM. This is the fastest booting OS I have ever used.
which cd image did you use.. my cd testing/etch hanged while trying to boot from similar amd Ath-X2, I gb ram. then i put 32bit in there... :roll:

michael7

#24 Post by michael7 »

gillbates,
I used a "daily built" netinst cd image for the "amd64" architecture that I downloaded from www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer . The kernel I'm booting is the standard 2.6.18-3-amd64.

On another partition, I've installed the i386 version for comparison. The amd64 is faster. I wrote a HOWTO on the i386 installation which you can find at: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=11280
Live simply so that others may simply live.
Debian Social Contract

ethyrdude

#25 Post by ethyrdude »

Actually Lou, I did use the expert install and I was surprised that it didn't ask me but then considering I downloaded the new etch net installer, it's not surprising. I was given a choice of which kernel to install - 2.6.8 or 2.6.17-2 and a choice of i486 or i686, I would have preferred i386 0r k7, but as they weren't offered, I chose 686 and then upgraded to 2.6.19.2 custom and selected k7 for my processor as it is an Athlon XP. My debian install is pretty mean and lean now, I did end up installing xdm and set up an .xsession file in my home directory to tell it to start xfce, one more way to skin a cat.

The netinstall iso was 150 megs, about five minutes to download on cable DSL, and I liked the graphics install a bit better than the first time I installed it. One thing that threw me for a second was the language choices, utf-8 or not, I chose utf-8 because that was what I learned the standard is now. Other than that, things went really smoothly. I really wasn't kidding when I said Debian was easier to install than Windows, and much faster too.
Cancel or Allow?
Is that the new "Yes, No, or All"?

thamarok

#26 Post by thamarok »

My booting time is now 5-7 seconds.. Yeah, very small time to get from BIOS to the login prompt.. and that only because of the 2.6.20 kernel..

Lou

#27 Post by Lou »

ethyrdude wrote:Actually Lou, I did use the expert install and I was surprised that it didn't ask me but then considering I downloaded the new etch net installer, it's not surprising. I was given a choice of which kernel to install - 2.6.8 or 2.6.17-2 and a choice of i486 or i686, I would have preferred i386 0r k7, but as they weren't offered, I chose 686 and then upgraded to 2.6.19.2 custom and selected k7 for my processor as it is an Athlon XP. My debian install is pretty mean and lean now, I did end up installing xdm and set up an .xsession file in my home directory to tell it to start xfce, one more way to skin a cat.
Indeed, there are more ways to skin a cat; .xsession has to go to xinit in order to start, that's why i use .xinit instead of .xsession. :) As for not giving you a choice, i don't know, maybe it has to do with the graphic install or the new installer.
The netinstall iso was 150 megs, about five minutes to download on cable DSL, and I liked the graphics install a bit better than the first time I installed it. One thing that threw me for a second was the language choices, utf-8 or not, I chose utf-8 because that was what I learned the standard is now. Other than that, things went really smoothly. I really wasn't kidding when I said Debian was easier to install than Windows, and much faster too.
I haven't used the latest rc netinstall, now that i discovered the business card with 37 MB, i doubt i'll use anything else. My download speed is not as good as yours, mine is (130 kb/s download speed or 1.2 Ghz overall speed). As long as you get what you want in the way is easier for you, all is well. :)

Burnside

#28 Post by Burnside »

Well, I followed your example, Lou, and used sysvconfig to turn off the services I don't need at startup.

My PIII 700 with 160 MB of RAM have been averaging about 20 seconds from me pushing the button to console. X takes about 7 seconds to boot into Openbox which is a little slower then I'd like, but still not bad. :)

Lou

#29 Post by Lou »

Burnside wrote:
My PIII 700 with 160 MB of RAM have been averaging about 20 seconds from me pushing the button to console.
You're doing better than me :) Although, icewm and ratpoison are in like flynn in <2 seconds
Last edited by Lou on 2007-02-02 00:32, edited 1 time in total.

ethyrdude

#30 Post by ethyrdude »

Wow, that's really fast Burnside, for a PIII. I notice there is one parameter I haven't considered when thinking speed and that is HDD interface - IDE/SATA/SCSI.
Cancel or Allow?
Is that the new "Yes, No, or All"?

_FOCUS_

#31 Post by _FOCUS_ »

I didn't keep my booting time. Sometime I am restarting and when I restart mta isn't appear as normal boot. So it takes shorter than 1 minutes. Mta is making long booting.

My processor is 2,66 celeron :( ( I wish amd 64)
256 ram
256 winfast
epox mainboard ( sis my mainboard and there isn't update at epox website any more. I have to upgrade my system as fast as possible )
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it's run over by a car, you don't want it.

DeanLinkous

#32 Post by DeanLinkous »

debian etch - default install of desktop/standard/laptop tasks
nothing tweaked except maybe a couple applets I killed
hp omnibook 6000 laptop
PIII 700mhz
256mb ram

from post to GDM login - about 35-40sec
(could probably be tweaked and cleaned up a bit and get it even lower)

from gdm login to gnome desktop - about 15sec

VERY HAPPY!
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

_FOCUS_

#33 Post by _FOCUS_ »

this morning I was preparing to come and decided to learn my booting time. This is my chance . Linux started to file system check. But I didn't give up. From grub to gdm it took 1, 35 second :lol: from grub to completely log in took 1,56 second. :lol:
amazing . isn't it?
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it's run over by a car, you don't want it.

happy-and-lost

#34 Post by happy-and-lost »

Grub -> Full GNOME desktop: 1 minute exactly

On a 1GHz Duron with 350MB RAM. Once loaded, the desktop only utilises 45MB RAM (Full GNOME. Why does the clock applet use nearly 10MB?!). It's a work in progress, I hope to get it faster and lighter.

matino

#35 Post by matino »

~33 secs from grub to KDE desktop

e1even1

#36 Post by e1even1 »

etch. i setup kdm autologin and the grub menu is a 3 second timeout. from the front panel power switch to wallpaper is 52 seconds. that includes preloading 2 instances of konqueror, no exim, and 4 vmware demons. no ntp.

personally, i don't mind waiting a little for it to boot. i wouldn't care if it took 3 minutes to boot. as long as it runs as well as it does after it's up.

llivv

login to login

#37 Post by llivv »

from xfve I reboot, it takes 26 seconds to shutdown I see BIOS post at 30 seconds, Grub splash shows up at 46 seconds( it's still looking for grub on the floppy), kernel finishes loading at a minute 20 seconds, I'm back in the desktop at 1 minute 42 seconds after entering my user and pass.
I'll take that for a default desktop install :wink:
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

Pobega

#38 Post by Pobega »

Including the BIOS and GRUB screen: 27 seconds
Without the BIOS and GRUB screen: 17 seconds

Pretty good times in my opinion, I've never gotten an operating system to boot as fast as Debian does. All I have left to do is recompile my own kernel, and build the ipw3945 modules into it for maximum boot speed.

I no longer use a display manager so I don't have any times for that. I just tend to use startx instead.
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh