Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

About system performance and daemons.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
rupeshforu3

About system performance and daemons.

#1 Post by rupeshforu3 »

Sir after installing wheezy system I have disabled some of the daemons and services using bum(boot up manager). Now my system performance is slow and I am unable to browse Internet and when I open browser it is giving error messages.

Kindly suggest the required daemons need to be enabled for good system performance and for browsing the Internet.

Regards,
Rupesh.

ComputerBob

Re: About system performance and daemons.

#2 Post by ComputerBob »

rupeshforu3 wrote:Sir after installing wheezy system I have disabled some of the daemons and services using bum(boot up manager). Now my system performance is slow and I am unable to browse Internet and when I open browser it is giving error messages.

Kindly suggest the required daemons need to be enabled for good system performance and for browsing the Internet.

Regards,
Rupesh.
Which daemons and services did you disable?

Asking for help without providing that information is sort of like asking a mechanic to fix your car after you've randomly disconnected several of its wires and components -- it's not a completely impossible task, but very few mechanics will want the challenge, and those who are willing to do it will charge you a fortune.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

lithopsian

#3 Post by lithopsian »

Wouldn't expect disabling daemons to just slow down the computer. Generally they will stop certain things from working at all. Such as the internet :) DHCP? sshd? avahid? nfsd? dnsmasq?

rupeshforu3

#4 Post by rupeshforu3 »

Can you suggest which are the most needed daemons for system performance I mean high throughput.

AnInkedSoul

#5 Post by AnInkedSoul »

the high throughput daemon would be the obvious one - I always have it running

seriously though...

most services that are running have been started because you installed something that needs the service, so most should probably not be disabled

of course there usually is one or two you could stop but it wouldn't affect performance enough to matter anyway

the better approach to a minimal and slim system is to only install the things you really need
so do a minimal install and then only install the things you require, then everything running should be something you use and need

why not post what you have running and then ask for comments and opinions

vbrummond

#6 Post by vbrummond »

Don't use BUM, use rcconf.
Always on Debian Testing

AnInkedSoul

#7 Post by AnInkedSoul »

nah use sysv-rc-conf

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Is this the same system that has every single pakage in the debian repo's installed?

Turn back on all the ones you turned off, then either research what each one does and decide if you need it or not, or simply try them one at a time and test it.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

rupeshforu3

#9 Post by rupeshforu3 »

Sir I am requesting the most common daemons and services needed for good system performance. When I open a browser and open web page I am getting error as proxy server is refusing connection but when I plug the wire to modem network manager is showing message as connection established so which daemon need to be enabled for internet browsing.

System performance is acceptable but need somewhat even better.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

rupeshforu3 wrote:Sir I am requesting the most common daemons and services needed for good system performance.
Daemons have nothing to do with system performance.
When I open a browser and open web page I am getting error as proxy server is refusing connection but when I plug the wire to modem network manager is showing message as connection established so which daemon need to be enabled for internet browsing.
Proxy settings in your browser have nothing to do with daemons.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

rupeshforu3

#11 Post by rupeshforu3 »

please respond to this thread.

cynwulf

#12 Post by cynwulf »

Re-enable everything you've disabled - done.

I can't tell you what to enable/disable as I have no idea what you had installed in the first place or what you disabled or left enabled. So if you also don't know what you disabled, I certainly don't know what you disabled - this probably means that you're facing reinstalling, which isn't such a problem when you have all 10 DVDs...

Why would you go in randomly disabling daemons that you don't know the first thing about...?

craig_sillva

#13 Post by craig_sillva »

rupeshforu3 wrote:Sir I am requesting the most common daemons and services needed for good system performance. When I open a browser and open web page I am getting error as proxy server is refusing connection but when I plug the wire to modem network manager is showing message as connection established so which daemon need to be enabled for internet browsing.

System performance is acceptable but need somewhat even better.
I think this is fun. Like the "Family Feud", but for troubleshooting. Op is the host,

OP: Name a service that can affect a computers internet connectivity
ME: wpa_supplicant?
OP: Show me...wpa_supplicant!

1 [_______] 4 [wpa_suplicant]
2 [_______] 5 [____________]
3 [_______]

ding!ding!ding!ding!
Debian 7.0 on Lenovo Thinkpad SL410

vbrummond

#14 Post by vbrummond »

:lol:
Always on Debian Testing

dasein

#15 Post by dasein »

ME: PICNIC?

Show me...PICNIC!

1 [___PICNIC___] 4 [wpa_suplicant]
2 [____________] 5 [____________]
3 [____________]

ding!ding!ding!ding!

:mrgreen:

Struth

#16 Post by Struth »

If you or bum was smart enough to only edit runlevel 2, run sysv-rc-config, look at runlevel 3 and make runlevel 2 look the same.

If you want to make your performance better there is one and only one way to do it: Your name must be Dean and you must have got plenty of free time. Then proudly present to the astonished audience that you use 0.2 MB less of RAM than anyone else.

vbrummond

#17 Post by vbrummond »

My tips on performance:

1. Is it fast enough to do what you want? Good! Leave it alone.
2. Run out of ram? Buy more ram. Can't? Run less tasks.

Don't worry about disabling services. Half of the time they consume a few kb of ram and generally get swapped out if need be.
Always on Debian Testing

AnInkedSoul

#18 Post by AnInkedSoul »

Struth wrote: Then proudly present to the astonished audience that you use 0.2 MB less of RAM than anyone else.
uh...wait....my name is dean...

jealous much...jealous that I have an extra .2mb more to use that your bloaty desktop :D

Struth

#19 Post by Struth »

If i am not wrong this result of your fiddling:
http://resident.dyndns.info/refracta/ar ... 162010.iso
(the date indicates that it is out of date, it is only of interest for some of us, not for a minimal debian installation. To me a quick way to get a small-resources iso is refracta or antix, and i don't need to fiddle with anything. Iow: it ain't worth downloading it).
was the only GUI OS i could make run in qemu at reasonable speed. It comes with icewm, but no window borders or other bloat (aka: it ain't easy to use). I think most apps are TK. I don't know what else was done, that are the things i can (or could) see.

So yes, one can reach something, but it will take time, one will have got lack of comfort and one will need lots of experience.
On anything slightly recent, say a Pentium3 with 256 of RAM, it ain't worth the trouble (in my humble opinion). Start any modern web-browser and all you tried is null and void. You can't make a dead horse fly, but it can still run ok.
I for one am happy if RAM usage is around 300 MB, with all apps i usually use running. If i got little RAM i don't run that much apps at the same time, and it works too (no need to run osmo all the time, no need for a login-manager, etc).

PS: most other remixes by Dean, the ones i have seen, are easy on resources too. Not all of them lack comfort (in fact most don't).

vbrummond

#20 Post by vbrummond »

The fellow I work for just had me install Debian on a P3 with 256mb of ram (I mean exactly). I had to tweak Iceweasel so heavily to get it to work on that low of memory. :)
Always on Debian Testing