Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Linux 2.6.20 is FINAL!!!

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
thamarok

Linux 2.6.20 is FINAL!!!

#1 Post by thamarok »

Yippee!!!
Linus Torvalds announced the new Linux 2.6.20 kernel!
Beware, the www.kernel.org website has very heavy load right now ;)

Start building, fellow Linuxers :)

Dargor

#2 Post by Dargor »

so anyone successfully compiled it yet, how was it(compiling) any strange errors, and how was performance.

DeanLinkous

#3 Post by DeanLinkous »

If it isn't in a deb then I dont need it.... :D
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

Grifter

#4 Post by Grifter »

make-kpkg and it will be in a deb (:
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

DeanLinkous

#5 Post by DeanLinkous »

:) okay okay smarty
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

Lost Dog

#6 Post by Lost Dog »

Well, I just compiled with no issues at all.

The only problem is I can't install the latest (or even beta) nvidia drivers. D'oh! I'm using the "official" drivers off the nvidia site.

ghostdawg

#7 Post by ghostdawg »

I wonder why 2.6.19 is not in Sid's repos yet?

Anybody know?
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#8 Post by Lavene »

ghostdawg wrote:I wonder why 2.6.19 is not in Sid's repos yet?

Anybody know?
Probably (hopefully) because the devs are hard at work on getting Etch out of the way...

StarMonkey

#9 Post by StarMonkey »

I just surprised myself by successfully compiling 2.6.20 first time on my old dev machine :D

I think that's the first time I've got it working first time. It took about 45 minutes to compile. I suppose it was easier because I was using 2.6.18 so not a lot has changed.

thamarok

#10 Post by thamarok »

Succesful compilation, better performance and runs smoother than 2.6.19 :D
Also, to get "experimental" Debian kernels, go here:
http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/d ... linux-2.6/

I heard the Debian Devs use that to upload their kernels.. The 2.6.20~rc6 kernel there works wonderfully, so there's no risk in trying it out..

steve1961

#11 Post by steve1961 »

The latest Sidux kernel is now 2.6.20. It also runs well on my Etch installation:

http://www.sidux.com/files/kernel/

thamarok

#12 Post by thamarok »

steve1961 wrote:The latest Sidux kernel is now 2.6.20. It also runs well on my Etch installation:

http://www.sidux.com/files/kernel/
Cool!

ghostdawg

#13 Post by ghostdawg »

Lavene wrote:

Anybody know?
Probably (hopefully) because the devs are hard at work on getting Etch out of the way...
That makes sense, thnx.
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

plugwash

#14 Post by plugwash »

Anybody know?
what you must understand is that debians primary objective is to produce high quality stable releases.Unstables primary purpose is as a build and testing ground for packages headed for the next release.

Getting a kernel to work right for a userbase the size of debians is hard, even more so now linus has abandoned the stable/unstable split. If there is ever to be a hope of a stable release a descision has to be made which kernel will be in the next stable release and then that has to be stuck to.

The bottom line is a new upstream version of the kernel will not hit unstable until after etch release.

Dargor

#15 Post by Dargor »

wow i just compiled it and i must say that was the easyst one ive ever done, mabey i actually leart something those times. Still my onboard lan doesnt seem to work.

Lost Dog

#16 Post by Lost Dog »

Dargor wrote:wow i just compiled it and i must say that was the easyst one ive ever done, mabey i actually leart something those times. Still my onboard lan doesnt seem to work.
Snag yourself a copy of "Linux Kernel in a Nutshell" and start reading on page 47 (well read the whole thing but start on 47 for your issue). This will show you exactly how to find what module is needed for your lan.

The book is free and you can download it.... There is a thread on it here somewhere.

thamarok

#17 Post by thamarok »

Lost Dog wrote:
Dargor wrote:wow i just compiled it and i must say that was the easyst one ive ever done, mabey i actually leart something those times. Still my onboard lan doesnt seem to work.
Snag yourself a copy of "Linux Kernel in a Nutshell" and start reading on page 47 (well read the whole thing but start on 47 for your issue). This will show you exactly how to find what module is needed for your lan.

The book is free and you can download it.... There is a thread on it here somewhere.
Here's the link to the thread in question:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=11396

Cheers

nbi

USB boot in 2.6.20 without initrd ?

#18 Post by nbi »

Does anyone know if this capability is default in the 2.6.20 kernel? I suppose I could sift through the kernel source, but I'm having a hard time believing that nobody has attempted to boot the kernel off USB mass storage yet. If the kernel panics because the root partition can't be mounted then the capability is not present and initrd is required.

Incidentally although this capability has been requested as far back as 2003 it was never mainlined. Last year I patched SuSe 10.1 with this capability.

Just this week I successfully patched the 2.6.18 kernel in Debian "testing". The patch is actually much simpler for 2.6.18 than 2.6.16 (SuSe 10.1) because the pertinent kernel code has been cleaned up somewhat. I only wish I would have known that 2.6.20 was on the verge of release.

Dargor

#19 Post by Dargor »

I only wish I would have known that 2.6.20 was on the verge of release.
im sure your not the only one. Linus Torvalds aka god and the rest of the holy devs probably think it is good practice and the practice will help you on you path of assention to becoming a dev. :D

olshevch

#20 Post by olshevch »

thamarok wrote:Succesful compilation, better performance and runs smoother than 2.6.19 :D
How did you measure performance? Could you reveal some test results, please?

PS BTW, what configuration did you use for the compilation?