Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Compiz just removed from the repos this week?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
DaddyX3

Compiz just removed from the repos this week?

#1 Post by DaddyX3 »

Hi,
I recently installed Wheezy on my main box and LOVED it! Got everything up and running the way I like it, including compiz. I had to use a SID repo to do it, but other than that it was painless. Now, I went to install Wheezy on my brothers machine and just in the past week they have now removed compiz from the SID repos. Does anyone know where to find compiz still? Thank you in advance!

bw123

Re: Compiz just removed from the repos this week?

#2 Post by bw123 »

Any chance the debs are still on your machine in /var/cache/apt/archives?

http://releases.compiz.org/0.8.8/

I don't use it on Wheezy, but I like compiz too, hope it comes back soon, very good stuff.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

DaddyX3

#3 Post by DaddyX3 »

I will check it out ... right now I don't have a KVM switch and have this computer (brothers) still hooked up. Thanks for that link btw... would you have to install / compile every one of those sources separately if you wanted all of them? Is there an easy way to compile multiple source codes simultaneously?

Thanks for the quick response... greatly appreciated :D

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

to tell the truth, i wouldn't touch it because you never know when one little lib update breaks the whole thing. you'll probably have to be carefull either way you go, so get another window manager ready on the working installation.

^^^shameless plug for fluxbox in an emergency

just saying, if i heard it through the grapevine that my good thing was gone, i be getting another thing.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Those things are never really gone: go to snapshots.debian.org and see how to add a line to your sources.list to add a snapshot of the repo at any past date. Then you can simply install compiz and then disable the repo.
MX Linux packager and developer

mor

#6 Post by mor »

Looking at the PTS page and judging by the most recent removal from experimental following this bug it looks like compiz lacks a maintainer, upstream activity and presented release-critical bugs.

Obviously this does not mean it can't get back into debian if someone is willing to maintain it and work on it, but right now it looks pretty dead to me.

DaddyX3

#7 Post by DaddyX3 »

bw123 wrote:Any chance the debs are still on your machine in /var/cache/apt/archives?

I don't use it on Wheezy, but I like compiz too, hope it comes back soon, very good stuff.
Right on! They were still in there! I'll have to head over to my brothers house and see if I can install them now! Thank you very much for that tip! Very Very cool! Anyone else want them? :D

LanManT

#8 Post by LanManT »

DaddyX3 wrote:
bw123 wrote:Any chance the debs are still on your machine in /var/cache/apt/archives?

Right on! They were still in there! I'll have to head over to my brothers house and see if I can install them now! Thank you very much for that tip! Very Very cool! Anyone else want them? :D
Did this work for you, i just installed wheezy again today on a second pc and to get compiz to work and now i find it has been removed, i looked earlier today and it was in the sid repos, and now i look again and its removed from sid and even squeeze. it is however in the snapshots.

.8.4.4 and .8.4.5 did not work, there were to many dependancy issues.

Compiz wm is a must have. :x

I installed wheezy several weeks ago and setup to login into an ldap network and once i installed compiz, i entered my credentials it bounced me back to the login screen. after toying with it logging in as an admin and removing compiz i could again login to the network, i shelved the PC, i just today wanted to try it again and now i find a maintainer issue and compiz is gone.

aspensmonster

#9 Post by aspensmonster »

I recently ran into this problem as well. I added a snapshot from the beginning of July I think it was, set to the sid repo, and was able to install compiz and its dependencies without issue (along with fusion-icon, which can be useful when troubleshooting different window managers and wanting quick switches). I removed the repo afterward. My understanding is that compiz is no longer in active development. However, it is still being maintained, as Ubuntu's Unity interface leans quite heavily on it. Until someone can get similar functionality and eyecandy working in something like Wayland, Compiz Fusion is the way to go. It's disappointing that there is no active maintainer. I'm tempted to try my hand at maintaining it myself.

There is a bug though from what I can tell in the backports repo I got compiz from. In the compiz settings manager (ccsm) the main page has no icons or text. If you click on where the icons/text should be, the submenus have icons and text. This is a bug. See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1130941. If you are running ccsm in a terminal, you'll see output that looks like the following:

Code: Select all

RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object
The solution is to update the Utils.py file as specified in the bug report. I don't remember where Utils.py is in Debian. I just know it's not where the bug report says it is (presumably, that's where Ubuntu keeps it). From the bug report:

Changing line

ret = super (PrettyButton, self).do_expose_event (self, event)

to

ret = gtk.Button.do_expose_event (self, event)

(in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ccm/Utils.py)

restores proper functionality for me.

LanManT

#10 Post by LanManT »

aspensmonster wrote:I recently ran into this problem as well. I added a snapshot from the beginning of July I think it was, set to the sid repo, and was able to install compiz and its dependencies without issue (along with fusion-icon, which can be useful when troubleshooting different window managers and wanting quick switches). I removed the repo afterward. My understanding is that compiz is no longer in active development. However, it is still being maintained, as Ubuntu's Unity interface leans quite heavily on it. Until someone can get similar functionality and eyecandy working in something like Wayland, Compiz Fusion is the way to go. It's disappointing that there is no active maintainer. I'm tempted to try my hand at maintaining it myself.

There is a bug though from what I can tell in the backports repo I got compiz from. In the compiz settings manager (ccsm) the main page has no icons or text. If you click on where the icons/text should be, the submenus have icons and text. This is a bug. See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1130941. If you are running ccsm in a terminal, you'll see output that looks like the following:

RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object
The solution is to update the Utils.py file as specified in the bug report. I don't remember where Utils.py is in Debian. I just know it's not where the bug report says it is (presumably, that's where Ubuntu keeps it). From the bug report:

Changing line

ret = super (PrettyButton, self).do_expose_event (self, event)

to

ret = gtk.Button.do_expose_event (self, event)

(in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ccm/Utils.py)

restores proper functionality for me.

i do remember this bug with no icons or text but you can guess where the icons are and if you clicked the blank space the configuration window would indeed open, i assumed that was a video driver issue but compiz was just not working so it was removed,

sort of off topic: my must haves in a desktop right now, XFCE, Compiz and Emerald. or strong second E17,
first ecomorph and now compiz, not good.

pdq

#11 Post by pdq »

DEBs available for Compiz 0.8.4-5.2 amd64 on Wheezy

I too have been tearing my hair out over this. I have been running Wheezy (xfce, amd64 ) with compiz_0.8.4-5.2_amd64 successfully for a few months on my laptop. I set up a similar system on another machine at the weekend only to find no Compiz anywhere, which I cannot live without (for Expo & Ring Switcher). I didn't know about snapshots, but I finally hit on a solution - using dpkg-repacker to rebuild the required debs from the system on my laptop. They installed flawlessly on the second machine (other than depending on libjpeg62, which was a trivial matter to install) and using the exported settings file to configure everything it was running perfectly within a couple of minutes. (I had had a knotty problem with edge-binding conflicts which I finally solved, but I didn't want to go through that again.) When it works as well as it does, I cannot understand why it would be removed...

I am happy to send anyone the collection of .debs if they send me a pm.

Q: the only problem I experience is the occasional crash of Compiz - often when sending email with Thunderbird/Icedove. Any ideas - memory, some hidden conflict? I just do compiz --replace, but it would be nice to avoid it altogether.

mor

#12 Post by mor »

pdq wrote:When it works as well as it does, I cannot understand why it would be removed...
If you read my previous post, I explained clearly WHY compiz was removed.
Unfortunately it is irrelevant if it works "as well as it does" when nobody is willing to maintain it, fix bugs etc., however sad.

pdq

#13 Post by pdq »

Yes, I have read the reasons, and I'm not really arguing with the decision - more regretting it. My only reason to post here (why I registered, in fact) was to share a solution with anyone who finds that they miss Compiz as much as I did. The offer is there... :)

I just hope someone is willing to maintain it in the future.

thrasher456

#14 Post by thrasher456 »

I wanted to install compiz as well , so is there any other way to install compiz now that it is gone from both sid and testing repo . About snapshot , which date should i select to try and get it back ?
Visit our blog here : http://www.absolutegizmos.com

pdq

#15 Post by pdq »

I have DEBs for Compiz 0.8.4-5.2 amd64 on Wheezy (I use xfce) which I am willing to share (see my earlier post). Use them at your own risk, of course! Send me a PM...

kmathern

#16 Post by kmathern »

thrasher456 wrote:I wanted to install compiz as well , so is there any other way to install compiz now that it is gone from both sid and testing repo . About snapshot , which date should i select to try and get it back ?
According to http://packages.qa.debian.org/c/compiz.html compiz was removed from sid & experimental on 2013-08-16 so I would try a 08-15 snapshot or earlier, something like:

deb http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20130815T034749Z/ sid main
btw I selected the 2013-08-15 snapshot from the August 2013 snapshots listed here: http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debi ... 13&month=8

When you update the repos you'll need to add '-o Acquire::Check-Valid-Until=false' to the `apt-get update` command, otherwise it will complain about the snapshot repo's expired release file.

apt-get -o Acquire::Check-Valid-Until=false update
edit: If you're using Wheezy it's safer to use a Wheezy snapshot instead of the sid snapshot I'm using in this post, I have a post here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=511972#p511972 with instructions for using a Wheezy snapshot.
Last edited by kmathern on 2014-03-14 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

thrasher456

#17 Post by thrasher456 »

^ Thankyou for spoon feeding me :lol:
I edited the source file and updated with -o arg and installation went on smoothly . I am running compiz now successfully on my debian 7.1 .
Things i learned :
1] How to use the debian snapshots
2] The -o argument was new for me :)

kmathern

#18 Post by kmathern »

thrasher456 wrote:^ Thankyou for spoon feeding me :lol:
I edited the source file and updated with -o arg and installation went on smoothly . I am running compiz now successfully on my debian 7.1 .
Things i learned :
1] How to use the debian snapshots
2] The -o argument was new for me :)
Now that you have compiz installed I would disable/remove the snapshot repo and reload (`apt-get update` -- without the -o option) so you don't unintentionally upgrade/dist-upgrade your Wheezy install to sid [what sid was on 2013-08-15].

thrasher456

#19 Post by thrasher456 »

yes i removed them after installing compiz , thankyou again :)

compiz_fan

#20 Post by compiz_fan »

FYI, compiz is not dead, just the upstream location has changed. It's now https://launchpad.net/compiz.