Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Canon MX922 found but won't print

Need help with peripherals or devices?
verlager

Canon MX922 found but won't print

#1 Post by verlager »

I am trying to install a Canon MX922 printer on LMDE.

I ran ~/Downloads/cnijfilter-mx920series-3.90-1-deb (install.sh wont find wired lan printer with IP 192.168.0.14)

Installed these:

cnijfilter-common - IJ Printer Driver for Linux.
cnijfilter-mx920series - IJ Printer Driver for Linux (these repo drivers don't even show up when I go to add printer)

I tried system / admin / printing / add printer (and it FOUND the printer! But it won't print.)

What should I try? I'm in over my head.

Bulkley

Re: Canon MX922 found but won't print

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Welcome to Canon printers. They are not Linux friendly.

First, install system-config-printer. It is a GUI front end to CUPS. If you are fluent with CUPS fine but I prefer the GUI.

Canon only has one driver. Well not exactly but mostly. With each new printer someone tweaks the driver. What that means is that you can often use one that is meant for another. So, run system-config-printer (as root) and select the nearest driver and test it. Try several until you get results.

If nothing helps, go here. It is aimed at the Canon MX340 but the method is similar. You probably should search for a similar article for your MX922; there might be one.

Keep us posted. Canon users can be frustrated by doing everything right and it still won't print because of some silly settings not in their manual.

verlager

#3 Post by verlager »

I ran system-config-printer, clicked Add and Find Network Printer and in Host: 192.168.0.14 and clicked Find.

It found it. The Queue says PASSTHRU, and I Forward to Make = Canon. The models have PIXMA MX890 and PIXMA MX7600. But no PIXMA MX922.

The Canon looked nice on Amazon. I selected it because my usual choices in HP printers have three month expiration dates on printer cartridges. That is, you buy new cartridges every three months whether they are empty or not, you pay, get it? I didn't like that so I bought Canon. Now I have to wait for a system-config-printer Canon PIXMA MX-922 driver. Hmmm...

tomazzi

#4 Post by tomazzi »

verlager wrote:(...)
I selected it because my usual choices in HP printers have three month expiration dates on printer cartridges. That is, you buy new cartridges every three months whether they are empty or not, you pay, get it?
And that's why I won't buy a jet printer in the first place. Few years ago I've switched to Laser Printers: I have Lexmark E120, which is fully supported by CUPS, and when it's empty I just buy a new chip and 150ml of toner powder for ~3.00 EUR, what allows me to print at least 2000 pages ;)
Odi profanum vulgus

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

verlager wrote:I ran system-config-printer, clicked Add and Find Network Printer and in Host: 192.168.0.14 and clicked Find.

It found it. The Queue says PASSTHRU, and I Forward to Make = Canon. The models have PIXMA MX890 and PIXMA MX7600. But no PIXMA MX922.

The Canon looked nice on Amazon. I selected it because my usual choices in HP printers have three month expiration dates on printer cartridges. That is, you buy new cartridges every three months whether they are empty or not, you pay, get it? I didn't like that so I bought Canon. Now I have to wait for a system-config-printer Canon PIXMA MX-922 driver. Hmmm...
Good, you have that working. Did the PIXMA MX890 work at all? The PIXMA MX7600?

I doubt that you have to wait for the MX-922 to show up in system-config-printer or CUPS. Did you read that link I gave you? While official drivers are available, instructions to install them are hard to find.

Where did you get your cnijfilter-mx920series-3.90-1-deb? From here? Or here?

Keep at this. Chances are that you can get it working properly. I went through this when we first got our MX340. It took some doing but I eventually got it working. It has been a very good printer for us but, as I said above, Canon did not make it easy.

wilkenw

#6 Post by wilkenw »

When I first attempted to install the linux drivers for my networked MX922, I also was unable to print. There is an easy solution, however. Using the web-based CUPS interface (localhost:631), check the connection string. For an MX922, it should read: "dnssd://Canon%20MX920%20series._ipp._tcp.local/" If that doesn't work, shut down your printer and computer and reboot both. You should obtain a working connection.

Francewhoa

#7 Post by Francewhoa »

Newest Canon driver version 290 and how-to install on Debian Wheezy 7 at https://wiki.debian.org/PrinterDriver/Canon/UFR-II
- - -
Loving back your Debian community result in multiple benefits for you. https://www.debian.org/intro/help