Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

PCManFM not authorized problem

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
jbakshi

PCManFM not authorized problem

#1 Post by jbakshi »

Hello list,

Hope this is the right place to post this issue. I could mount/umount usb through pcmanfm. Recently I have upgraded my debian to wheezy. The pcman version is now 0.9.8 but now I can't mount/umount usb drive any more. It gives an error "Not Authorized" . I already have this at .xinitrc

Code: Select all

exec dbus-launch icewm-session
but no success. Even I have tried with

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch icewm-session
It also not helpful and additionally Trash stops working with this. Has anyone have any fix ?

Thanks

secipolla

Re: PCManFM not authorized problem

#2 Post by secipolla »

You have to have and launch policykit too.
http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM_build_a ... _Correctly

panther

#3 Post by panther »

There are no policykit nor policykit-gnome packages in in Wheezy anymore, so I can't install them. (Yes, I likely have the same problem.) I already have policykit-1 and policykit-1-gnome installed.

gunnar90

#4 Post by gunnar90 »

panther wrote:There are no policykit nor policykit-gnome packages in in Wheezy anymore, so I can't install them. (Yes, I likely have the same problem.) I already have policykit-1 and policykit-1-gnome installed.
I'm just going in here saying that I've also got this problem (based on what's been said) although I've not been upgrading from squeeze to wheezy, but rather been on the testing branch since squeeze were there. The last couple of weeks or something I've been mounting my external devices manually, which isn't that big of a deal really, but still a bit annoying to say the least.
Excuse me if my English fails at times since I'm from Sweden. And so on, and so on.

the trooper

#5 Post by the trooper »

I've come across this myself recently.
There is a couple of things you can do,if you don't mind swallowing a whole load of Gnome dependencies you can install the following:

aptitude install gvfs gdm
This should restore the missing functions,at least it did for me.
Or if that is not for you you can use the forked version of pcmanfm from here:

http://igurublog.wordpress.com/download ... manfm/#deb

Works well for me using Testing/Unstable.
"I will not be pushed,filed,stamped,indexed,briefed,debriefed or numbered.My life is my own......"

hauru

#6 Post by hauru »

i encountered a similar problem on Wheezy and finally managed to solve it. if you don't run any desktop environment but just WM with additional apps and you get this error with PCManFM or udisks --mount, you can try the following:

(1) install lxpolkit package.

(2) create a file inside the /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/local.d directory with *.pkla extension (eg. 50-mount.pkla). other extensions such as .conf won't work. the contents should be as follows:

[Storage Permissions]
Identity=unix-group:storage
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-eject;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-detach;org.freedesktop.udisks.luks-unlock;org.freedesktop.udisks.inhibit-polling;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-set-spindown;org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount-system-internal
ResultAny=yes
ResultActive=yes
ResultInactive=yes
(3) add yourself to the storage group (or whatever you set in the "Identity" line above). the defaut plugdev group can be used too.

(4) make sure that lxpolkit and DBus are started along with X server. i use the .xinitrc file which ends with:

# dbus
if which dbus-launch >/dev/null && test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"; then
  eval "$(dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session)"
fi

# polkit auth agent
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/lxpolkit &

# window manager
exec openbox
(5) that's probably all.

other auth agents can also be used but lxpolkit is probably much lighter than many and has less dependiences.

this solution is an effect of browsing various forums and experimenting, not studying manpages etc. possibly it's imperfect and any suggestions on how to improve it are welcome.

RollerBoy

#7 Post by RollerBoy »

(2) create a file inside the /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/local.d directory with *.pkla extension (eg. 50-mount.pkla). other extensions such as .conf won't work. the contents should be as follows:

[Storage Permissions]
    Identity=unix-group:storage
    Action=org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-eject;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-detach;org.freedesktop.udisks.luks-unlock;org.freedesktop.udisks.inhibit-polling;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-set-spindown;org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount-system-internal
    ResultAny=yes
    ResultActive=yes
    ResultInactive=yes
For some reason I need to touch this file each time a start the computer, or else it does not work. Is it possible to circumvent this in another way ?

jbakshi

#8 Post by jbakshi »

So what we need to do finally ? Is there any patch available based on these solution?
Is any updated .deb available with these fixes ?

Thanks

Joel

#9 Post by Joel »

Wouldn't be better just to install a display manager, such as gdm, kdm, xdm, slim, lightdm, etc.? They launches what you need to keep your dbus session a live + policykit need it by the Window Manager
* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-32b w/ xfce4.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: ArchLinux-64b w/ xfce4.

jbakshi

#10 Post by jbakshi »

well :-) this is a lowfat system. no gdm,kdm elephants but only icewm

stevesr0

#11 Post by stevesr0 »

I am running wheezy with pcmanfm as a file manager. I am using openbox as my window manager and using startx to launch Xwindows.

When I place a cd in the drive, it opens in file manager and I can mount and look at the files.

However, when I attempt to eject it via pcmanfm, a window pops up saying not authorized.

I can eject from the command line using the eject command (eject /media/cdrom0).

When I installed pcmanfm, a warning displayed that udisks conflicts with it. I got the same message when I installed thunar, so I removed it.

Not sure if it is considered a bug or a (security) feature <g>.

zerbino

#12 Post by zerbino »

I've found solution somewhere:

1. to mount as user without "Not Authorized" message:
add the file /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/50-mount.pkla

[Mount a system-internal device]
Identity=*
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks2.*
ResultAny=yes
ResultActive=yes
ResultInactive=yes