Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Anitvirus software

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
debian fan

Anitvirus software

#1 Post by debian fan »

Well, like the tittle allready says, I'm looking for antivirus software fo linux (Dedian).
When I use google to search for this I only get win32 apps that scan for viruses. Does this mean that it's not neccessary for linux and there are no or are there so few I didn't find them?

thank you

jgodau

AntiVirus for Linux/Debian

#2 Post by jgodau »

Did you see ClamAV? it is a GPL-licensed project with possible integration with exim/sendmail/postfix... running under Linux. There exist .deb-packages for installation try as entry in apt-sources (for stable woody):
On the other side, there are Linux binaries for some (commercial) packages; just try google or freshmeat.net!

8) hope this helps :lol:

jürgen

thechise

Antivirus

#3 Post by thechise »

It is not necessary. There are not that many viruses out there for Linux. Plus from what I have seen, Linux AV software is a processor monster. I tried McAfee once and my fan kicked on as high as it would go to cool the machine down.

But as long as you keep your machine patched and close your unnecessary ports, you are ok..........for now.

debian fan

#4 Post by debian fan »

Like you say "OK...for now". But when I read articles on linux security I get the impression that more linux viruses, worms and trojans are to be waited for.

I want to be on the safe side.

lacek

#5 Post by lacek »

I think debian_fan is absolutely right. The fact that we're currently unaware of any virus and/or trojan, doesn't mean that there is not any. Plus, being a bit paranoid doesn't hurt. Not to mention, that usually a Linux box acts as a router/mailserver and so on, and some windows clients connecting to it. Viruses can't hurt the Linux box (yet), but they can create a little havoc on windows, and who needs that?
Better worry that sorry.

zauber

security

#6 Post by zauber »

Hi
I totaly agree if we cannot find a cure then we need a prevention, the only thing i can suggest is a good firewall locked down good and tight. until a good AV for Linux comes along.
Is anyone using ClaimAV and if so how is it's funcionality?

zauber

dawgie

#8 Post by dawgie »

Although not ant-virus tools, two good security tools for protecting your system are:
tripwire an intrusion detection tool that checks for changes on your system
and
chkrootkit which check your system for signs of a rootkit.

Bob

nbd

#9 Post by nbd »

> It is not necessary. There are not that many viruses out there for Linux.

What about linux file servers that hold data for windozes? Would be nice to check the files with linux.

Or maybe check mails from mail server before winblows users download them with their outlooks.

Passing_by

#10 Post by Passing_by »

Virusscanners on Linux scan for Windows virusses! For a desktop Linux one doesn't need a virusscanner.

nomar

linux av

#11 Post by nomar »

Clam AV seems good - it will scan files, directories etc. on demand (when you ask it to).

Panda av has a free (non open source) av program also. I've tried it and it works well.

AV isn't really necessary. Patch your system, lock it down and only run what you need to run. There may come a day when you need to run AV, but don't panic yet.

Just to re-assure you, as an IT security pro, in our org we care that windows gets av, apple machines get it too but were're not too fussed.

Linux boxes don't get AV, we're much more concered about them gettig hacked, so we just lock them down. Then just keep an eye on thing.