Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wheezy on newer Intel i210 ethernet controller

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
aviva

Wheezy on newer Intel i210 ethernet controller

#1 Post by aviva »

Hi,

I just bought a new server with one of the most recent v3 Intel processors (socket LGA1150). The board (Supermicro X10SLM-F) uses the new Intel NICs (i217LM + i210AT), not supported by the current Debian stable release. Hence, the ethernet adapter is not recognized during the installation process.

What would you recommend? Ideally, I would like to be able to install something as close to stable as possible in a production server such as this one.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

kedaha

Re: Wheezy on newer Intel i210 ethernet controller

#2 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
Yes you should definitely install stable since it is a production server.
Check to see if the Intel i210 ethernet controller is supported by the testing kernel. If this is the case, one option would be to first install stable and then upgrade the kernel from wheezy-backports, i.e., download the jessie kernel from backports and install it manually from a pendrive. A more conservative approach would be to backport only the driver thus retaining the stable kernel. However, both these options depend on whether or not the device is supported in testing/sid. So that readers here might advise, post how the device is recognised by the lspci utility:

Code: Select all

lspci -nn |grep -i ethernet
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

aviva

#3 Post by aviva »

Hi,

Thank you for the informative reply.

The devices seem to be correctly identified in both Wheezy and Jessie.
Wheezy live image:
00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-LM [8086:1533] (rev 04)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection [8086:1533] (rev 03)

testing (output of the install CLI)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-LM [8086:153a] (rev 04)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection [8086:1533] (rev 03)

This problem should affect a quickly increasing number of people, as many boards (all?) for Haswell processors (Intel E3 v3) will come with i217/i210 or another lynx point NIC. Rather strange that Wheezy, having been released so recently, doesn't support them out of the box. Is there a chance there will be a backport of a newer, compatible kernel to stable soon?

What would you recommend doing?

Thank you.

aviva

#4 Post by aviva »

The driver seems to be made available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/f ... %20stable/ (support added in 2.0.0). I have no experience in installing either a kernel backport offline or in updating part of it in Debian, so if that is the way to go I would appreciate any starting pointers a lot as well. Apparently the NIC is supported in more current kernels and there has been a bug report for Debian already (http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/requ ... 04652.html), although I couldn't locate it.

In case there are no other options besides the two suggested above, what would be safer?
a) installing stable and backporting a newer kernel
b) installing stable and updating the relevant driver only

Thank you in advance.

aviva

#5 Post by aviva »

Installed stable with no issues other than NIC-related. Tried to compile and install the newest e1000e drivers: although after a while I managed to get the process completed successfully (needed a number of additional packages installed with no network access), the network interfaces still aren't recognized.

kedaha

#6 Post by kedaha »

It's preferable to go for the stable kernel if possible since this gets all the security updates so maybe viewtopic.php?f=17&t=103230 will help.
I downloaded the driver you referenced and ran make and make install and find e1000e - in my system - in /lib/modules/3.2.0-4-amd64/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ without any hitches so presumably it should work after Configuring_the_interface_manually but I don't have the device so I can't do that!
Alternatively, you might run the a live testing cd just to see if the jessie kernel configures the network. If this is the case then the option would be to download the appropriate backported kernel from Debian backports.
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

aviva

#7 Post by aviva »

Hello. Just replying to confirm the solution you presented corrected the issue with apparently no further problems. Thank you very much for your help and advice.

divide_by_zero

#8 Post by divide_by_zero »

I believe I have the same problem. I am trying to install debian 7.2 on my new computer which I just built that has a gigabyte z87x-ud5h motherboard. This has onboard networking. It uses the Z87 intel chipset. I'm trying to figure out how to install the drivers because when I use the debian iso CD to boot and install it tells me that no network devices are recognized. Can you walk me through your solution with a little more detail please? I am new to debian.

AllanMarcus

#9 Post by AllanMarcus »

aviva wrote:Hello. Just replying to confirm the solution you presented corrected the issue with apparently no further problems. Thank you very much for your help and advice.
I too am having the same issue! Can you please expand a little (ideally a lot) on how you resolved the issue? Did you back port something (which package?), did you compile the driver?

Thanks

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

It appears that the original issue was resolved by installing and booting to a newer kernel, which is packaged by Debian and available in wheezy-backports: http://backports.debian.org/ Kernels contain as many open-source drivers as possible.

If you don't have a Net connection for your Debian machine, it is possible to download the appropriate kernel deb packages from packages.debian.org with another OS, then install them on your target machine.
MX Linux packager and developer

AllanMarcus

#11 Post by AllanMarcus »

stevepusser wrote:It appears that the original issue was resolved by installing and booting to a newer kernel, which is packaged by Debian and available in wheezy-backports: http://backports.debian.org/ Kernels contain as many open-source drivers as possible.

If you don't have a Net connection for your Debian machine, it is possible to download the appropriate kernel deb packages from packages.debian.org with another OS, then install them on your target machine.
Thanks. I figured out how to back port now. Useful.

Unfortunately my new MB is defective, so I'm sending it back. I have this opportunity to purchase a new one. It appears some ASUS boards don't use the new intel LAN chips, so I might go that route.

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

nehaali wrote:It appears that the original issue was resolved by installing and booting to a newer kernel
Echo?

mia10helson

#14 Post by mia10helson »

aviva wrote:Hello. Just replying to confirm the solution you presented corrected the issue with apparently no further problems. Thank you very much for your help and advice.

I am also facing the same issue, can you please explain it in with some detailed information.

stevepusser

#15 Post by stevepusser »

It's better for you to start a new thread instead of reviving a dead one, and you need to provide detailed hardware and system information.

peter_irich

#16 Post by peter_irich »

Perhaps, the problem will be solved by compiling the new igb driver from Intel, for example, in igb-5.3.5.4.tar.gz.
Also may be required new e1000e driver for i217, e1000e-3.3.5.tar.gz.

Peter.