Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cinnamon 2 on Debian testing jessie

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ledzgio

Re: Cinnamon 2 on Debian testing jessie

#21 Post by ledzgio »

Probably we will be able to install Cinnamon 2 from linux mint LMDE when the new release will come out. What I am not pretty sure is wheter it will be installable under debian testing, stable or unstable.

Any idea?

jube

#22 Post by jube »

ok finished all the scripting, uploading a new set of release builds,
as promissed there is an install script,
I am typing in a cinnamon session now :),
must say release version much faster more stable than git versions
BUT i wrote the install script for my own system and it depends on having used my build scripts, if you want to keep gdm ( or simmilar), or you are downloading the debs you need to mod the script, i use xinit amd the alternatives system :)

Well i have not had good experiences with the lmde versions of cinnamon, they arrange their deps really wierd, last time i tried could not install without a
massive ammount of hassle and work, some deps seem just not to exist :)
Plus they dont use cinnamon-controll centre or cinnamon-session/settings deamon, maybe all will change for 2?

nath

#23 Post by nath »

jube wrote:ok finished all the scripting, uploading a new set of release builds,
I am typing in a cinnamon session now :)
Thanks. I can see the new builds, but I can't seem to find the install script. Am I using the right address? https://github.com/Jubei-Mitsuyoshi/deb ... s/unstable

I'd like to try the script on a freshly installed Debian sid, with no desktop enviroment installed. Also, I'd use mdm (not gdm) and systemd.
Should I just run your script or install something first?
jube wrote:must say release version much faster more stable than git versions
Are you talking about that bug where cores are constanty at 10-15% or something else? Judging from what I can see at https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/commits/master I guess it hasn't been fixed yet :?

ledzgio

#24 Post by ledzgio »

jube wrote:ok finished all the scripting, uploading a new set of release builds,
I am typing in a cinnamon session now :),
must say release version much faster more stable than git versions
BUT i wrote the install script for my own system and it depends on having used my build scripts, if you want to keep gdm ( or simmilar), or you are downloading the debs you need to mod the script, i use xinit amd the alternatives system :)

Well i have not had good experiences with the lmde versions of cinnamon, they arrange their deps really wierd, last time i tried could not install without a
massive ammount of hassle and work, some deps seem just not to exist :)
Plus they dont use cinnamon-controll centre or cinnamon-session/settings deamon, maybe all will change for 2?

Thanks for the script, I will try it in a while and I will let you know.

I have two questions:

1) how can I install mdm?
2) so you think debian will support one day Cinnamon 2 on their repositories?

thanks

jube

#25 Post by jube »

err no :)
the install script ( which is here https://github.com/Jubei-Mitsuyoshi/deb ... l-cinnamon ) is just for the way i like to set X up
which is no mdm/gdm or the like, i use startx.
You will have to modify it to your tastes.
Also remember i am a "root freak" everything i do is in a root environment, if your not doing the same lots of sudo/su will be appropriate :)
These packages are the first of a series, later builds will increasingly have my code changes integrated.
A fresh setup is def the way to go.

Yes very happy to say the cpu bug totally fixed, gnome system monitor shows ony 0-5%, about what one would expect since the whole thing is built on python and html
But the speed/stability improvements are way beyond that, feels so much snappier its amazing :)
There is one regression i am looking at tho, eariler versions of cinnamon seem to render a lot better, ie higher apparent resolution for a given display ( ie 1920x1080)
And new X stack is not taking custom DPI arguments, there is something UP!!! with messa/x/gtk3 and its really pissing me off, if you dual booting with windows 7
its really clear, windows is puttting 1/3 more data on the screen, thats cos its using the correct DPI for this high DPI screen.

hmmm. my advice would be to stay clear of systemd, its great if you do exactly what it wants you to do, try bending anything and it just breaks like a dry stick :)
Init scripts bend like birch :)
Debian has plenty of sysd in it already, but thats because upstream has forced it upon them, with a bit of time and my newfound c/c++ skills think i can fix that .)

and thanks i really should read the commits :)

jube

#26 Post by jube »

yes cinnamon 2 will def find its way into debian propper, but you will have a LONG wait :)

ledzgio

#27 Post by ledzgio »

jube wrote:yes cinnamon 2 will def find its way into debian propper, but you will have a LONG wait :)
LONG wait is too long for me :D hopefully we can take advantage of LMDE repos to install cinnamon 2 on debian..

nath

#28 Post by nath »

I started with a fresh setup, installed mdm, the latest debs from your git and run the install script (which purged gnome packages and let me choose session and window manager via update-alternatives), all from root. Result: same issues as before (control panel, settings dialog, locking, etc. not working). Messing with Desktop Environment installations is clearly not my thing. I think I'll just wait for Cinnamon 2 to land in Mint's repo and use LMDE... Thanks anyway.

jube

#29 Post by jube »

nath wrote:I started with a fresh setup, installed mdm, the latest debs from your git and run the install script (which purged gnome packages and let me choose session and window manager via update-alternatives), all from root. Result: same issues as before (control panel, settings dialog, locking, etc. not working). Messing with Desktop Environment installations is clearly not my thing. I think I'll just wait for Cinnamon 2 to land in Mint's repo and use LMDE... Thanks anyway.

now thats interesting :)
ok i started from a kali setup, which is just wheezy with pre-installed gnome-fallback, then updated to sid-

Try this.

Get into aptitude

/

gives you the search box

search for gnome-core

enter

gets you into the listing

see which components of gnome-core you may be missing,

obvious important ones are gconf/dconf gvfs, the gtk,s gnome-pannel,
terminal, etc

cntr--t

gives you the menue , got to preferences
enter prefs and turn 'install recomends automatically' to off ( unclick check box )

q

to get back

scroll to bits you might be missing from gnome-core
( avoid gnome session, settings deamon, nautilus, gnome screen saver and all the non essential crap )

+

to mark em for install

g

to see you selection for install, make sure you have nothing you DONT want

g

to install them

do the whole process a couple of times and find which components are the missing ones,
THEN PLESE PLESE POST your results :), i will put the missing comps in my install script
thanks loads :)

oh and make sure you have java installed (jdk7)

ledzgio

#30 Post by ledzgio »

@Jube
Why your release-builds are now for sid? do you think is better to use testing or sid?

thanks

nath

#31 Post by nath »

jube wrote:see which components of gnome-core you may be missing, obvious important ones are gconf/dconf gvfs, the gtk,s gnome-pannel, terminal, etc
The following important packages were missing: gtk2-engines gvfs-bin dconf-tools network-manager-gnome gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio gnome-terminal, so I installed them and tried to login... same issues.

I also installed jdk7 and jre, although I don't think those are required for a bare-bones Cinnamon. And I verified libpam-modules-bin which was suggested on Linux Mint forums but was already installed anyway.

Finally out of curiosity i also tried installing these (also missing among the other gnome-* stuff): gnome-packagekit gnome-power-manager gnome-control-center, but nothing changed so I removed them.

Of course i rebooted each time, verified installation of packages, etc. Don't know what to think... as I said, installing it is clearly not my thing :lol:

jube

#32 Post by jube »

right damn it !!!

First no you are doing great, you obviously know what you are doing and have set up a system many times, so no more beating youself up :)
Im curious enough to find out to, im going to set up everything on a vm tonight and will give you a definate answer tommorrow.
I will do exactly as you, ie sid from scratch, and see what i get :)
will post in 12 hours with solution one way or other

jube

#33 Post by jube »

ledzgio wrote:@Jube
Why your release-builds are now for sid? do you think is better to use testing or sid?

thanks
much better using testing, its just that new nvidia drivers and cuda are late in testing and i need them, plus upstream are really really current
even sid is often to old ( as is the case for a few nemo-extensions ) so have been forced to sid ( with gun to head )
I have not been building for the other distros untill there is a lot more demand, if loads of people request a testing or kali set
will do a run, but not till then

nath

#34 Post by nath »

jube wrote:I will do exactly as you, ie sid from scratch, and see what i get :)

BTW this is the iso I have used (netinst): http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.2 ... etinst.iso

jube

#35 Post by jube »

ok quick check before i go exploring your prob, this is the package order you should be installing in, you anywhere near this?
have you got em all (debugs and devel not essential)

dpkg -i cinnamon-translations_2.0.2-sid_all.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-desktop-data_2.0.3-sid_all.deb
dpkg -i libcinnamon-desktop0_2.0.3-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libcinnamon-desktop-dev_2.0.3-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i gir1.2-cinnamondesktop-3.0_2.0.3-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i cjs_2.0.0-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libcjs0c_2.0.0-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libcjs-dev_2.0.0-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i nemo-data_2.0.6-sid_all.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-settings-daemon_2.0.7-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-settings-daemon-dev_2.0.7-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-session_2.0.5-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-session-common_2.0.5-sid_all.deb
dpkg -i muffin-common_2.0.4-sid_all.deb
dpkg -i muffin_2.0.4-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i muffin-dbg_2.0.4-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libmuffin0_2.0.4-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libmuffin-dev_2.0.4-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i gir1.2-muffin-3.0_2.0.4-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-control-center-data_2.0.8-sid_all.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-common_2.0.12-sid_all.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon_2.0.12-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-dbg_2.0.12-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-control-center_2.0.8-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libcinnamon-control-center1_2.0.8-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libcinnamon-control-center-dev_2.0.8-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i nemo_2.0.6-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i nemo-dbg_2.0.6-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libnemo-extension1_2.0.6-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libnemo-extension-dev_2.0.6-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i gir1.2-nemo-3.0_2.0.6-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-bluetooth_3.8.2-sid_amd64.deb
dpkg -i cinnamon-screensaver_2.0.3-sid_amd64.deb

jube

#36 Post by jube »

nath wrote:
jube wrote:I will do exactly as you, ie sid from scratch, and see what i get :)

BTW this is the iso I have used (netinst): http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.2 ... etinst.iso
Right just loaded the immage from this disk link http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.2 ... etinst.iso

and that link is wheezy! my packages are for sid, did you upgrade to sid or something ?????

Now im here anyway will test the deb-install script i made for you :)

edit...... ok think thats your problem, can you try with sid? there is a install from deb script, totally untested unfortunatly :)

nath

#37 Post by nath »

jube wrote:Right just loaded the immage from this disk link http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.2 ... etinst.iso
and that link is wheezy! my packages are for sid, did you upgrade to sid or something ?????
I forgot to say you have to choose expert install from the menu, then it asks which repo you want to use: stable, testing or unstable.

As for the packages, I simply downloaded ALL the debs available in your git (recent build, i verified i have everything you have listed in your post), then dpkg -i *.deb and finally apt-get install -f

jube

#38 Post by jube »

ah ok :)
back on it then :)
will post later with results, thanks.
( wow things have changed with the install medium, last i remember one had to have a sepperate install
disk for testing/unstable, its nice to se it all integrated)

jube

#39 Post by jube »

Right looking at a perfectly running cinnamon setup on my vm.

Yes your problem was the method of installing the debs,

apt-get install -f

pulls in gnome-settings deamon and session and a bunch of stuff you dont want.
# on tasksel chose laptop and standard utils
#apt-get install git
#git clone "git://github.com/Jubei-Mitsuyoshi/debian-public-packages.git"
#cd debian-public-packages
#./aaa-install-cinnamon-from-deb
what i did was run the new install script a few times ( was testing ), obviously building up lots of broken deps,

then apt-get install -f

which pulled in lots of deps for me, but at same time pulled in stuff did not want

then aptitude>gnome-core and cleaned out gnome settings de, session, gnome control panel etc ( everything thats already covered by cinnamon)

ran ./aaa-install-cinnamon-from-deb again

and it all went in, startx then am in, i cant find any of the faults you mentioned,
everything works ok, even software rendering mode great

please note i am in middle of modding ./aaa-install-cinnamon-from-deb again to use gdebi and get round the dep nightmare :)

nath

#40 Post by nath »

jube wrote:please note i am in middle of modding ./aaa-install-cinnamon-from-deb again to use gdebi and get round the dep nightmare :)
Great news then, I'll wait for the updated script and use that to make sure my apt "karma" doesn't get in the way :)