Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

cd,dvd not detected

Need help with peripherals or devices?
sejtn4u

cd,dvd not detected

#1 Post by sejtn4u »

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right section. I'm having a problem with optical drive on my laptop - Toshiba C660, but actually it is Debian specific, because I have no issues in Win7 or other Linux distributions. I'm running Debian testing 64bit with Gnome Shell, but I had this problem also on Debian testing with Awesome WM, so it's not about Gnome.

Any kind of cd, dvd disc inserted does not get detected automatically, so I could mount it from file manager. But it gets detected, when i run lsblk in a terminal, and then I get pop-up notification from Gnome, about what to do with this media.

Commenting cd rom line in fstab did not solve the problem. Other removable media like usb drives work fine.

It's pretty frustrating to run lsblk every time in order to detect cd/dvd ;)

sejtn4u

Re: cd,dvd not detected

#2 Post by sejtn4u »

My shot in the dark is that it has something to do with udev rules, but I might be wrong...

Here is the output of "dmesg | grep CD-ROM":

Code: Select all

[    1.570780] scsi 4:0:0:0: CD-ROM            HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT51N     SB02 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[    1.896593] cdrom: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
[    1.896834] sr 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
So I guess everything is fine with hardware detection. Anyone?

mbod

#3 Post by mbod »

Hello,

I want to confirm that this happens to me as well. On my regular PC as well as on a freshly installed PC. Both are running Debian Testing. USB sticks and external USB drives are working fine. Internal CD/DVD is not working. Mounting manually /dev/sr0 does work.

There is no trace in any log file when I close the tray of the CD/DVD drive . Not syslog, daemon.log, messages, user.log or ~/.xsession-erros. It happens for KDE, GNOME and XFCE.

I have posted this question also on the debian user mailing listl:
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user ... 56405.html

Any help is highly appreciated.

Matthias
Last edited by mbod on 2013-12-03 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

mbod

#4 Post by mbod »

sejtn4u

#5 Post by sejtn4u »

Thanks Matthias, enabling kernel polling has solved my problem too, but I think it should get fixed anyway, because I'm probably not the only one who couldn't google the answer for that issue.

It seams weird to me, that Debian is the only distro which has a problem with such a basic thing like cd/dvd rom, other than that it's still one of my favourites.

mbod

#6 Post by mbod »

Hi,

I can confirm that kernel polling solves the issue.

I enabled it via:
echo 2000 > /sys/module/block/parameters/events_dfl_poll_msecs

This is a known bug (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=725978)

and the issue lies probably in udev. The polling is supposed to be set in
/lib/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules

but somehow it does not work. Also reported here: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=713877

Matthias

uBaLd

#7 Post by uBaLd »

using this commend in the terminal seam to have fixed it for dvd:

Code: Select all

sudo echo 2000 > /sys/module/block/parameters/events_dfl_poll_msecs
to do that I have commented the lint for cdrom in /etc/fstab:

#/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

but for cd it act weardly ?!! Some cd mount but when I try to get acces to the data I get: error
Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
other dose nothing !
when i try to eject after 21 minute i get error:
An operation is already pending
If I let the line
/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
uncommented I get 2 icon for the disk in nautilus and they don't work properly
How do you solve it for cdrom ??
Debian is the best !
Debian Jessie / Gnome3
Workstation / 2 Xeon E5-2620 / 32GB RAM

uBaLd

#8 Post by uBaLd »

Ok now it only seam to work when the pc is rebooted with the cdrom inside ! can someone help ? I have now idea where to start where to look and what to do to fix this problem that I have endure since a while and that had went worst day by day. I tried so many thing and gnome 3 seam to have change the role quite a bit. It is starting to be quite hard to figure out why they said that gnome 3 is easier ! It's the hardest desktop I've work with. Anny help will be appreciate !

Thanks
Debian is the best !
Debian Jessie / Gnome3
Workstation / 2 Xeon E5-2620 / 32GB RAM

Riberto

#9 Post by Riberto »

sejtn4u wrote:Thanks Matthias, enabling kernel polling has solved my problem too, but I think it should get fixed anyway, because I'm probably not the only one who couldn't google the answer for that issue.

It seams weird to me, that Debian is the only distro which has a problem with such a basic thing like cd/dvd rom, other than that it's still one of my favourites.
I used the same solution of adding that line to my /etc/rc.local file.
But then I had instability issues with my install.
I would come back later, after a few minutes and find my laptop had locked up.

It would not even shutdown unless I did a hard power-off.
After much messsing with it, adjusting this and that, I decided to do a clean re-install.
It is now working just great and if I want to burn or use a disc, I'll just use my stable install.

Add this to my bluetooth issues. I'll keep working with Debian and see when a solution comes down the pike.

Debian is STILL the way to go...

Debian Jessie 64 bit
Intel i5 / 8 Gig RAM
Giving up on yourself is a CRIME!
And it carries a LIFE SENTENCE.

Francewhoa

#10 Post by Francewhoa »

Confirming this bug. I sent a bug report at https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=753379
- - -
Loving back your Debian community result in multiple benefits for you. https://www.debian.org/intro/help