Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Complete PHP's book

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
cheikhbouchihda

Complete PHP's book

#1 Post by cheikhbouchihda »

Hello,
As an newby in PHP, I'm looking for a book where I can find all what must learn a beginner in this programming language.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 \n \l

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#2 Post by Lavene »

Although I'm a very casual PHP programmer (Mainly modifying things I don't like in other people code when setting up websites/ portals/ blogs etc) Mostly working by the seat of my pants I have found this free e-book to be a great introduction/ reference:
http://www.avaxhome.ru/ebooks/1931841322.html

Note that the publisher obviously is in bed with Microsoft so you need 'unrar' to unpack it and a CHM reader to open it (I use 'kchmviewer' for KDE). Do "apt-cache search --names-only chm" for the available reader/ parsers.

Tina

hcgtv

#3 Post by hcgtv »

Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

cheikhbouchihda

#4 Post by cheikhbouchihda »

Tina, hcgtv, you are very kind, thank you !
Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 \n \l

Optional

#5 Post by Optional »

I've been doing PHP professionally for 3 years, but in 2003 when I started, I picked up a copy of The PHP Bible: 2nd Edition.

It covered all the basics, then moved on to more advanced topics such as interacting with MySQL and Oracle databases.

The book was well written and had many examples/real-life applications of the material presented.

I haven't read any of the newer versions, so I can't speak on their behalf. Might be worth reading some reviews on Amazon.com though.

(disclaimer: I came from a strong C/C++ background, so that may have influenced my perception of the book a bit. Original poster didn't mention his background, so I can only assume.)

PHP is a horribly-designed language, with many unnecessary pitfalls for the new coder. Be sure to make security your #1 goal.

Good luck! :D

digitize

#6 Post by digitize »

PHP's manual on the web has always been an excellent reference for me. Very easy to understand and apply.
"Unos, Dos, Tres, Catorce!"

begatelles

#7 Post by begatelles »

Lavene wrote:Although I'm a very casual PHP programmer (Mainly modifying things I don't like in other people code when setting up websites/ portals/ blogs etc) Mostly working by the seat of my pants I have found this free e-book to be a great introduction/ reference:
http://www.avaxhome.ru/ebooks/1931841322.html

Note that the publisher obviously is in bed with Microsoft so you need 'unrar' to unpack it and a CHM reader to open it (I use 'kchmviewer' for KDE). Do "apt-cache search --names-only chm" for the available reader/ parsers.

Tina
Hi Lavene. It seems to be a nice book but I can't possibly read it with kchmviewer. It opens it fine, I can see the book contents on the left sidebar, but I get the error:

Code: Select all

An error occurred while loading
ms-its:/home/christos/docs/PHP & MySQL
Programming For The Absolute Beginner
2003.chm::/6925final/LiB0127.html:

Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
Uknown protocol 'ms-its'.
What is this ms-its protocol? :?