Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

LXDE doesn't shutdown or reboot

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
thomthomthom

LXDE doesn't shutdown or reboot

#1 Post by thomthomthom »

I am running a Debian Testing box and shutdown and reboot aren't working at all. When I in click restart/shutdown button, nothing happens.

This tip doesn't work: http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Debian#Configur ... nd_Suspend

What should I do?

Thanks.

ted209

Re: LXDE doesn't shutdown or reboot

#2 Post by ted209 »

I'm stuck on this too. Will try digging into my Lubuntu 13.10 install tonight to see if I can find the solution.

thomthomthom

#3 Post by thomthomthom »

I think it's time to report a bug ... I'll do that, would you comment ted209 if I open a bug report ?
Thanks.

EDIT:
Please ted209, add your information there: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=731489
Thank you!

mdmarmer

#4 Post by mdmarmer »

I am also running LXDE with Debian Testing and the Shutdown/Reboot panel takes longer to appear after I click Logout, but it does work.

thomthomthom

#5 Post by thomthomthom »

How long does it take there?
Here, the menu appears fast. When I click in shutdown/reboot the action does not occur.
Thanks.

Titania

#6 Post by Titania »

Is your sudo configured to give you shutdown privileges? Add this to /etc/sudoers (replace FULANO with your user name)

Code: Select all

# allow FULANO to shutdown
FULANO ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:/sbin/shutdown
If all else fails, you can replace the LXDE shutdown thing with this handy python thingy which I use on two of my boxen:

https://github.com/doorknob60/pygtk-shutdown
Debian Testing w/ LXDE, running on dinosaur hardware. I keep it rolling.

mdmarmer

#7 Post by mdmarmer »

Apparently there is still a bug with the shutdown/reboot buttons. I have LXDE installed on 4 computers, shutdown/reboot works on 3 of them but i have the problem on the other one. I'll post back if i solve this.
The solution for me was
apt-get purge systemd
--------------------------------------
If you remove systemd the buttons will use consolekit, which they apparently need
Here's the open bug report:
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11158

BoDiddley

#8 Post by BoDiddley »

I am running wheezy/LXDE - I removed my display manager, because I do not like the overhead, simply to give you a box to log in to. I want to be as stripped down as possible.

Long story short, I no longer have a shutdown/reboot option from my programs menu - logout only.

I simply - #init 0 (for shutdown); #init 6 (for reboot) or #shutdown -h 60 (to shutdown in 60 minutes). #shutdown -h now (for immediate shutdown). All as root.

No problems.
"Wisdom is justified of all her children."

llivv

#9 Post by llivv »

BoDiddley wrote:I am running wheezy/LXDE - I removed my display manager, because I do not like the overhead, simply to give you a box to log in to. I want to be as stripped down as possible.

Long story short, I no longer have a shutdown/reboot option from my programs menu - logout only.

I simply - #init 0 (for shutdown); #init 6 (for reboot) or #shutdown -h 60 (to shutdown in 60 minutes). #shutdown -h now (for immediate shutdown). All as root.

No problems.
see: telinit
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

mdmarmer

#10 Post by mdmarmer »

You may want to look here. http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... 4&start=10

As I mention there is a patch here https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11158 for one module of lxsession. I patched the module and compiled lxsession successfully, but it did not solve any problem for me. On my system, the buttons work correctly if systemd is not installed (that is, using consolekit). If systemd is installed, the buttons don't work. With the patch, the buttons still did not work if systemd was installed, tho there was an error message displayed rather than nothing at all happening. Apparently it's more complex than that, because my understanding is that mageia (distro that intends to use the patch) always includes systemd, so the patch probably works for mageia.
Mike

PAP

#11 Post by PAP »

This thread is rather old, but it seems the problem with LXDE shutdown/reboot/hibernate actions comes up again and again. After today's system update (Debian "jessie" - testing version), it happened again to me, and probably others too. Reason: new version of networkmanager requires systemd. However, as other people pointed out already, systemd breaks lxsession-logout functionality. This is because lxsession-logout detects systemd-logind and tries sending shutdown/reboot commands to dbus through logind, which won't work, as lxsession works correctly only with consolekit (see, e.g., this thread for details).

Solution: Get rid of systemd. There are plenty of threads out there proving switching to systemd is not an easy task, and I don't think it is a good choice anyway, at least for now. This, however, will break network-manager package. Not a big deal. Just install a very good alternative, namely wicd; you might also want to install wicd-gtk for a graphical front-end). Then purge network-manager and all its dependencies, plus network-manager-gnome, if you have it installed too.
Linux Salix 3.10.17 #2 SMP Fri Feb 14 16:45:28 CST 2014 x86_64
Last Debian used: Linux debian 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt9-3 (2015-04-23) x86_64 GNU/Linux

F1computerexperts

#12 Post by F1computerexperts »

You could do like I did and install the lxsession debs from siduction's fixes repo. LXDE works fine shutting down or restarting on systemd.

llivv

#13 Post by llivv »

F1computerexperts wrote:You could do like I did and install the lxsession debs from siduction's fixes repo. LXDE works fine shutting down or restarting on systemd.
better yet install siduction.
If you run unstable, sure, add any repo you like and recommend it to everyone else.

F1computerexperts

#14 Post by F1computerexperts »

I installed siduction originally because of the systemd support. Too bad I couldn't change the icon theme, tho. Any of us that use sid or jessie KNOW that things are going to break at some point. It's not a matter of if, but when. If things get too wild and break my system in rapid succession, then I pull out the Ubuntu disk. :D

ratcheer

#15 Post by ratcheer »

????

I run Siduction LXDE, and I changed my icon theme.

Tim

llivv

#16 Post by llivv »

F1computerexperts wrote:I installed siduction originally because of the systemd support. Too bad I couldn't change the icon theme, tho. Any of us that use sid or jessie KNOW that things are going to break at some point. It's not a matter of if, but when. If things get too wild and break my system in rapid succession, then I pull out the Ubuntu disk. :D
Explaining that in your first post would be better,

but you've still missed the points about running a mixed system

and recommending using a mixed system to others.

alderaan

#17 Post by alderaan »

For those of us on Debian LXDE following Testing (jessie) the bug is there.
Systemd is the default now so if the solution is to uninstall systemd there must be a better solution sometime soon (or not so soon).

PAP

#18 Post by PAP »

alderaan wrote:For those of us on Debian LXDE following Testing (jessie) the bug is there.
Systemd is the default now so if the solution is to uninstall systemd there must be a better solution sometime soon (or not so soon).
I have 2090 packages installed on my Debian jessie (amd64), and the only one that had systemd as a dependency was network-manager (which I got rid of in favor of the -much better- wicd.) I can't see how systemd "is the default now", even on jessie.
Furthermore, Internet is literally full of posts about systemd issues, so my only conclusion is that it is too early to switch to systemd and face issues like that for no reason, other than "living on the edge".
Linux Salix 3.10.17 #2 SMP Fri Feb 14 16:45:28 CST 2014 x86_64
Last Debian used: Linux debian 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt9-3 (2015-04-23) x86_64 GNU/Linux

llivv

#19 Post by llivv »

PAP wrote: I have 2090 packages installed on my Debian jessie (amd64), and the only one that had systemd as a dependency was network-manager (which I got rid of in favor of the -much better- wicd.) I can't see how systemd "is the default now", even on jessie.
I'd suggest considering yourself lucky.
I have a minimal jessie install with a minimal X and I'm currently holding 16 packages to keep all systemd related packages from getting installed.

felipe

#20 Post by felipe »

I have a similar issue, i have installed Debian 7.5 LXDE i686 then I upgraded to Jessie and Installed Gnome Desktop task and I removed LXDe desktop, I can't shut down the system but I believe is something about GDM because with Lightdm I can shutdown.

Edit: i can shutdown the system if i add "init=/bin/systemd" to the kernel line. I guess is time to move to systemd.