Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HOWTO install infinality font-settings for Debian

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
shirish

Re: HOWTO install infinality font-settings for Debian

#21 Post by shirish »

I am gonna wait for infinality to come to Debian. This is way out of my league.
Intel Dual-Core CPU E5400 (soc 775) @ 2.70GHz, onboard Intel G33, Asus MB P5KPL-AM IN (Intel G31), D-Link 2750u modem+router, 64-bit Debian Testing, Mate 1.26

hadrons123

#22 Post by hadrons123 »

infinality in unlikely to come to debian repos. The upstream infinality patch dev/maintainer is not interested in packaging for Debian too.

Maybe you download and install the binaries I have posted in the first post. download the binaries, open a terminal and with root access

Code: Select all

dpkg -i file1 file2 file3
and you will be done.
LENOVO Y580 CORE i7 3630QM|8 GB RAM |16GB Sandisk SSD| Debian, Fedora, ARCH

Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

pmu

#23 Post by pmu »

Hi hadrons123,

Thank you for the links. It worked !!

Now the fonts look much better.
Debian Wheezy XFCE - Thinkpad T430 - i5 III Gen - 16 GB RAM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Perspectum cognitio aeterna

michapma

#24 Post by michapma »

I just build the packages on an i386 system, and have a few notes.

Not all necessary packages were already installed on the system to follow the instructions:
  • Package build-essential provides the command dpkg-checkbuilddeps
  • Package devscripts provides the command debuild
  • Package fakeroot provides fakeroot, which is asked for when executing build.sh for the respective packages
Knowing this in advance would have saved me time. Since I found this out via web search, I also installed the package debian-installer, which is probably not required.

Some font changes are immediately visible after installing the packages, but it's necessary to log out and back on to see the actual results.

I was already fairly happy with the font rendering on this machine, but I have to admit, the results with Infinality are even better.

Note to kcanbe:
Not sure what you mean by "the native Debian way." From the same page that you linked:
The default fonts in Debian derived distributions like Ubuntu and Linux Mint have better looking fonts when compared to default Debian squeeze since the ubuntu-based distros have heavily patched cairo or freetype2 whereas Vanilla Debian doesn't do patching as much as they do. A lot of things about the cairo package has changed recently in wheezy and unstable which have brought almost the same font setup to Debian (But not Squeeze or old) but you have to set it up to your liking.
Does "the native Debian way" mean without patching? I do see your point that it's necessary to install (free) software not included in the repositories, for which Debian of course does also provide a mechanism. In any case, I especially find the hinting to be better using Infinality.

hadrons123

#25 Post by hadrons123 »

To save some time for the mass, I would like to admit that I was the one who edited those sections of the wiki couple of years ago and I believe it might not suit to later versions of fontconfig and freetype and the config provided was taken from arch linux wiki to be honest. The native debian way of fontconfig is butt ugly. The config I have given in the wiki is better. Ubuntu configs are still better than the config in the wiki. But nothing beats infinality configs yet. To have maximal gains of infinality configs you need a 1080p LED screen. The lower screen resolutions are only marginally better and that's why lot of people are having trouble making a real difference before and after infinality. But for careful observer the differences are pretty obvious even with a low resolution screen. In case if some of you didn't get even an ioto of difference its most probably becoz you didn't follow the instructions from the first post properly.

These infinality configs can be added in Debian repos and it has no patent infringing technology(expired patents) but the Debian developers has not even made any measures to at least take the ubuntu cairo or freetype for Debian leave alone the Debian policy guidelines for infinality patches. But upstream freetype had started to accept some the patches from infinality developer in 2012 but no progress beyond that and the patches migration is not complete yet. All we can do is to hope infinality patches are merged with upstream.
Last edited by hadrons123 on 2014-01-27 12:16, edited 1 time in total.

Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

michapma

#26 Post by michapma »

As I understand it, Debian essentially packages and distributes software; there is some basic configuration, but it is up to the user to configure things to their liking.

Over lunch I just built the packages for my amd64 installation at home. Couple more notes for the how-to:
  • Since it's a how-to, it might be useful to some if you note what steps should be done as root (installation of packages) and what as a normal user (git, dpkg-checkbuilddeps, building).
  • The current build versions for me (as of 2014-01-27) were freetype-infinality_2.4.9-3 and fontconfig-infinality_1-2; perhaps an update of the linked binaries is called for.
Thanks again for this how-to. The fonts in applications like Iceweasel and Libreoffice especially look significantly better than what I had configured, even though I'd made several attempts at improving the configuration.

michapma

#27 Post by michapma »

I forgot: wanted to emphasize that it's not necessary to restart the machine, just log out and log in, including anytime you use

# bash /etc/fonts/infinality/infctl.sh setstyle

hadrons123

#28 Post by hadrons123 »

not even that. all it needs is an application restart.

imran-uk

#29 Post by imran-uk »

Just wanted to thank hadrons123 for his/her amd64 debs, I'm using them with the i3 window manager on Wheezy - terminal and browser fonts now look more ..."rich and juicy" are the words I'd describe them. They just look much better and on a par with Windows.

I'm using it on a Lenovo W500 which has a 1050 vertical native rez.

By the way I also got this:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib//freetype-infinality/libfreetype.so.6.8.1' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
Which I resolved by installing the dpkg-dev package.

May your hadrons keep colliding hadrons123 until you find the Higgs Boson.

Alad

#30 Post by Alad »

The LD_PRELOAD settings are deprecated so you might as well remove them (I've had problems in chroots and after uninstalling infinality).

# rm /etc/profile.d/freetype-infinality.sh

squeeze

#33 Post by squeeze »

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”

hadrons123

#34 Post by hadrons123 »

Please read previous posts, for better understanding of infinality. Ubuntu font sets is not my target for this guide.

squeeze

#35 Post by squeeze »

Well sorry for beeing offtopic here but unfortunately the packages for jessie are very outdated and i'm too dumb (aka inexpierienced) to rebuild these packages for debian: https://launchpad.net/~rjvbertin/+archi ... inaltimate via https://wiki.debian.org/CreatePackageFromPPA. (cairo fails to configure with font-stamp error, fontconfig and freetype build just fine)

You're right though infinality is way better than my 'easy alternative'.

EDIT: It would be very appreciated if some debian geeks could do the job ;-)
“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”

BubuXP

#36 Post by BubuXP »

squeeze wrote:EDIT: It would be very appreciated if some debian geeks could do the job ;-)
I'm not really a geek but I managed to build Infinality for Jessie (instruction inside).
This is the "old-school", original Infinality, although using bohoomil patches for freetype. Soon I'll try to build new packages using this whole new Infinality project.

DebbyIan

Re: HOWTO install infinality for Debian Wheezy i386, amd64

#37 Post by DebbyIan »

kcanbe wrote:Infinality is clearly better, but look how close native Debian (with a proper fonts.conf) is to Infinality ...

I personally feel Pre looks better. Post is too smudged in my view.

Is there a good font recommendation which looks very sharp at around Size 8? It must be a Sans type.

jochen

#38 Post by jochen »

I changed Xiao-Long Chen's Debian build to work with freetype 2.4.12 (newest Infinality patchset). If you follow the instructions in the first post, use my tgz for the freetype-infinality directory.

Freetype Infinality 2.4.12

And the compiled debs:

fontconfig-infinality
freetype-infinality
libfreetype-infinality6-amd64

Mad_7

#39 Post by Mad_7 »

Hi! :D

Did someone succeded, building Infinality Ultimate (bohoomil's) for Wheezy?
G.

dysnomia

#40 Post by dysnomia »

August 12, 2015 --- Note: ibfonts-base fails to download some fonts

Symbola.zip download url is broken: 
    download here:
    http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/repo/pkgs/gdouros-symbola-fonts/Symbola.zip/9c8d59868988659dd7fd923c69433cd7/Symbola.zip
    create font folder if it does not exist: mkdir -p .font_downloads
    and copy the Symbola.zip there
  Noto fonts seems to have been updated:
    edit ibfonts-base_build.sh
    below the line: 
      # Validate integrity of downloaded font archives    
        delete these lines:    
          e954b37fb20e858a48bb1da513d120ae26afa1189b10922d46486ff06967d074  NotoSans-hinted.zip
          3d23e8c04fdcfacfc9c2ea3abae0afbdd441cfbc3721b8b674e9d22fa92b97aa  NotoSerif-hinted.zip
        change:
          'numOfChecksums=8' to 'numOfChecksums=6'
        and delete line (or comment out):
          [[ $(($(find . -type f | wc -l)-1)) -eq $numOfChecksums ]] || { echo "$(basename $0): ERROR: Missing checksum or numOfKnownChecksums is wrong"; exit 1; }
  Run clean script and build script

April 19, 2015 --- Updated post + scripts (fontconfig-ultimate from March 31)
April 01, 2015 --- Updated post + fontconfig script

Hello!
Here are some handy scripts i made for building infinality-ultimate packages for jessie/sid.
I tested this only for amd64 but perhaps it works for i386 too.

Download

freetype 2.5.5
- update your system
- unpack, cd to the plain_freetype_package folder and run freetype_build.sh
- cd to the upper folder and run freetype_iu_build.sh to build the package with the infinality-ultimate patches (it uses the package source we built in the previous step)

fontconfig 2.11.1
- same procedure as for freetype but different script filenames ...

cairo 1.14.2
- to build it we need to install infinality-ultimate freetype and fontconfig first

ibfonts-base
- unpack and run ibfonts-base_build.sh

ibfonts-extended-lt (depends on ibfonts-base)
- same procedure as for ibfonts-base

ibfonts-extended (depends on ibfonts-base + ibfonts-extended-lt)
- same procedure as for ibfonts-base

(If googlefontdirectory returns an error when downloading, try again later... (and later...)) :evil:

------------------

Backup your current '~/.config/fontconfig/' folder, '~/.fonts.conf' and '/etc/fonts/' folder

tar -czvf stock_fontsconf_backup.tar.gz /home/<username>/.config/fontconfig/ /home/<username>/.fonts.conf /etc/fonts/ /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh
Make sure that the dependencies of the dev packages are installed

apt-get install libpng12-dev zlib1g-dev libexpat1-dev pkg-config
Uninstall packages

dpkg --purge --force-depends freetype2-demos libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev

dpkg --purge --force-depends fontconfig fontconfig-config libfontconfig1 libfontconfig1-dbg libfontconfig1-dev
Delete possible leftover files
Important: After doing this you cannot open new application/console windows since there is no font configuration. So don't close the console window until the new packages are installed ...

rm -rf /home/<username>/.config/fontconfig/
rm -f  /home/<username>/.fonts.conf
rm -rf /etc/fonts/* 
rm -f  /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh

Install newly built packages

dpkg -i libfreetype6_*d*b*amd64.deb libfreetype6-dev_*d*b*amd64.deb

dpkg -i fontconfig_*d*b*amd64.deb fontconfig-config_*d*b*all.deb libfontconfig1_*d*b*amd64.deb libfontconfig1-dev_*d*b*amd64.deb

Reboot debian

------------------

Now we can build cairo
- unpack, and run cairo_iu_build.sh to build the package with the infinality-ultimate patches

Uninstall cairo packages

dpkg --purge --force-depends cairo-perf-utils libcairo2 libcairo2-dbg libcairo2-dev libcairo2-doc libcairo-gobject2 libcairo-script-interpreter2
Install newly built cairo packages

dpkg -i libcairo2_*d*b*amd64.deb libcairo-gobject2_*d*b*amd64.deb
Reboot debian

------------------

As normal user, check that the X resources and environment variables are set as defined in /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh

cat /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh
xrdb -query | grep  'Xft.'; export | grep 'INFINALITY_FT'
If some X resource settings are missing, set them in your ~/.Xresources file. If the file does not exist, create it.
Append to ~/.Xresources :

! infinality-ultimate
Xft.antialias:  1
Xft.autohint:   0
Xft.dpi:        96
Xft.hinting:    1
Xft.hintstyle:  hintfull
Xft.lcdfilter:  lcddefault
Xft.rgba:       rgb
Reboot debian, and check again. Now if all X resources are displayed but some values are wrong, try adjusting the
font settings in your desktop environment accordingly (subpixel on RGB, hinting on Full) and check again with

xrdb -query | grep  'Xft.'
------------------

To remove infinaltiy / revert back to stock packages:

Delete ~/.Xresources or revert changes

Uninstall packages
  • dpkg --purge ...... commands (see above)
    and delete possible leftover files (see above)
Restore backup
  • extract stock_fontsconf_backup.tar.gz to /
Install stock packages

apt-get install -f
------------------

Locations of some files
  • Settings file:
    /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh
    conf.avail.infinality:
    /usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail.infinality/

Additional *.conf files:
    /usr/share/fontconfig/fonts-settings/
    /usr/share/doc/fontconfig-config/infinality-ultimate/

Generic infinality-settings:
    /usr/share/doc/libfreetype6/infinality-ultimate/
------------------

Install infinality-bundle font collections

---

ibfonts-base
Uninstall conflicting stock font packages

dpkg --purge --force-depends fonts-dejavu fonts-dejavu-core fonts-dejavu-extra fonts-liberation fonts-noto
Install ibfonts-base

dpkg -i ibfonts-base*.deb
---

ibfonts-extended-lt

dpkg --purge --force-depends fonts-cantarell fonts-crosextra-caladea fonts-crosextra-carlito fonts-droid fonts-texgyre
Install ibfonts-extended-lt

dpkg -i ibfonts-extended-lt*.deb
---

ibfonts-extended

dpkg --purge --force-depends fonts-lohit-guru
Install ibfonts-extended

dpkg -i ibfonts-extended_1*.deb
------------------

To remove infinality-bundle font collections / revert back to stock packages:

Uninstall packages

dpkg --purge --force-depends ibfonts-base ibfonts-extended-lt ibfonts-extended
Install stock packages

apt-get install -f
------------------

And that's all :wink:
Last edited by dysnomia on 2015-08-11 22:49, edited 2 times in total.