Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[funny] Why Linux users don't use Internet Explorer

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
synux

[funny] Why Linux users don't use Internet Explorer

#1 Post by synux »

Hello!

After a lot of investigation, I found the answer to the question "Why Linux users don't use Internet Explorer".. So, it started like this:
I was thinking that Micro$oft's WWW browser can't be _that_ good, and when I tried to access Google with IE, I got the following message:
So, I guess that Linuxers don't use Internet Explorer (even if there is IEs4Linux) because it simply can't browse the World Wide Web :lol:
(This should be just a joke.. I don't want to bash something..)
Don't dream your life; live your dream!

Grifter

#2 Post by Grifter »

microsoft actually did begin work on porting IE to linux back in 98 I think it was, along with media player and a third program which I can't remember what it was

the projects were cancelled and forgotten shortly afterward, but not before a few alphas had gotten out
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

jml

#3 Post by jml »

Now if we could just modify that application to filter the cruft we are beginning to hear from the talking heads as we move into the next election cycle here in the USA. But I supose everything would be blocked. :lol:

Joe
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

_FOCUS_

#4 Post by _FOCUS_ »

At work my colleges use ie insistently. But I don't use it except some hell gov aspx web site. İf you use explorer you can lost yourself in it. A lot of windows ( this suits its name ) opening. And you can't find your first visited site again.
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it's run over by a car, you don't want it.

Blyiss

#5 Post by Blyiss »

It is nice to have Internet Explorer running even on Linux machines especially for web-developers, since Microsoft is still powerful. The point is that Linux IE doesn't exist except the wine modification combining IE 5, 5.5, 6:
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2006/05/08 ... for-linux/
IE6 is outdated with lots of limitations, but IE7 is much nicer with tab browsing and PNG alpha-channel support, though it is still in beta, they say, but I am not sure because I use my XP occasionally. I don't like slow OSs.
Last edited by Blyiss on 2007-02-16 15:58, edited 4 times in total.

Optional

#6 Post by Optional »

There was a native version of IE4 for linux back in the day...

I have IE 5, 5.5, and 6.0 installed on linux for testing websites. 8)

I need to see about installing 7.0 some time~

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#7 Post by Scotti »

LoL, good stuff, synux.

synux

#8 Post by synux »

Scotti wrote:LoL, good stuff, synux.
:P
Don't dream your life; live your dream!

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#9 Post by mzilikazi »

Optional wrote:There was a native version of IE4 for linux back in the day...

I have IE 5, 5.5, and 6.0 installed on linux for testing websites. 8)

I need to see about installing 7.0 some time~
I spent 2 days trying to get IE7 installed for a friend on an XP machine. You had to endure the Genuine (dis)Advantage tool or it would refuse to install. Once installed it refused to let him access his mail account and gave us a typical (useless) M$ error message. "IE has crashed for an unknown reason and must shutdown". Thanks Bill for that lovely and extremely helpful error message - you rock! Back to IE6 we went and down came Firefox to take up residence as defualt browser. Good luck getting IE7 to run in WINE.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

mdevour

#10 Post by mdevour »

I think there is an opportunity here...

If you have the chance to build a web site, especially something oriented toward young-ish gamerz or other demanding, nerdy technical types, trick it out and fully optimize it for firefox and other well-behaved cross-platform browsers and make sure that Internet Explorer users see a box tucked away in a corner somewhere explaining:

Internet Explorer Users:
This site is optimized for Firefox, Opera,
and (whatever other) browsers.
To fully enjoy its graphics design
and user friendly features, please
install one of the above programs.

Of course the content and missing bling need to be desirable enough together to tempt them to try a new browser rather than blow you off... but it can become part of the culture of the site pretty fast.

It could become a movement.

<sigh> Dreaming is pleasant sometimes.

Mike D.