Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Thoughts on Ubuntu

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
sprucio

Thoughts on Ubuntu

#1 Post by sprucio »

What does everyone think about Ubuntu? I'm still debating if I should stick with Debian testing or go to Ubuntu.

The Virus

#2 Post by The Virus »

I didn't like Ubuntu, I used it for two days and the sudo crap get's annoying after a while.

Roeland

#3 Post by Roeland »

Well, you could sudo passwd root, but I don't like Ubuntu either. Quite frustrating how limiting it is, compared to a normal Debian testing/unstable install.

Let's say, I don't like other people to make choices for me...

-Roel
Science Center
Debian GNU/Linux flowing through my veins

Terje

#4 Post by Terje »

I don't think I'll step of from debian on my main system. I'm thinking about getting a laptop p3 or so, and then I'll try ubuntu on it. But debian is working perfectly for me so I don't see the point of changing it.

Sure testing some distro's is fun, but I think if you find one that does it all for you, why change?

So you'll have to make a discision about that. What do you want more in your system then debian has to offer you, and does ubuntu (or any other distro for that matter) offer you that?
Registered Linux user number 391283.

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.

sprucio

#5 Post by sprucio »

1. sudo: is damn annoying. They back it up with security issues but I find that strong passwords will be enough.

2. frequent software releases: I do like this portion that they try to do this every 6 months. If there's one thing I don't like about Debian is the amount of time it takes for it to get the newest software (testing or unstable). With that being said, this might be a good thing.

I recently tried Kubuntu on my laptop (I prefer KDE on laptop, GNOME on workstation). They have KDE 3.4 and it seems like there is a problem in KDE 3.4 with admin control in kcontrol. Now, I'm not sure how true this next statement might be but I've read that Debian will hold until major bugs like this are cleared out and then it will make it to the unstable state.

3. Ubuntu did a nice job installing GNOME from the get go. For an inexperienced user, this might be nice instead of seeing taskel come up during installation.

I'm still thinking about using it vs not. Thus far, I've tried it about twice and I ended coming back to Debian both times.

Aris

#6 Post by Aris »

sprucio wrote:1. sudo: is damn annoying. They back it up with security issues but I find that strong passwords will be enough.
Indeed ;)

Furthermore, I don't like gnome, so Kubuntu would be better for me. But, sudo makes me sick ;)
Also, debian owns, and ubuntu is a debian-based distribution, so If you do not have any problems with debian "original" there is no need to go to sth easier like mepis or ubuntu or whatever, just give it a try as I did, for a day in order to see the features of this distro ;)

-- Aris V.
Justice for all

jobezone

#7 Post by jobezone »

sprucio wrote:1. sudo: is damn annoying. They back it up with security issues but I find that strong passwords will be enough.
Actually, I used ubuntu for some 6 or more months, before going back to Debian again. I liked sudo so much I use it in Debian now. I find it a lot easier to type sudo before running a root command, than authenticating first. Also, with su , if I wanted to run a graphical program as root, I allways had to first run "xhost +" in the console, which was a pain in the ass when I forgot about doing this and it gave an error when trying to launch the app.
I'm still thinking about using it vs not. Thus far, I've tried it about twice and I ended coming back to Debian both times.
This happened to me once, and to be honest Ubuntu made me enjoy debian even more. I installed it when I had a badly maintained Debian system, and I found it nice that everything just worked on first install (mostly, but still better than Debian, although I agree it's not that much work anymore if you use the new tasksel in the installer). This gave me more assurance to learn more of the underneath system. After a while, one reason I went back to Debian, among others, was that I thought I might as well go back to the real thing. Also, being a community-driven project, which Ubuntu is more or less, but not as much as Debian, made me more interested in learning; If in the future there is a chance I might want or have an opportunity to fix/help/contribute something to the project, I prefer it to be someplace where decisions are not made in a top-down way(although ubuntu tries to be very community-friendly, in the end the important decisions are somewhat top-down handed by a few. Oh well, nevermind, just some silly ideas of mine, and it's fine they do it their way, I don't care :)).

sprucio

#8 Post by sprucio »

What do you guys think about the latest software packaging? I believe Debian does take a long time for them to get the latest software even on unstable.

Then again, I'm going to back this up with that story with KDE 3.4 I wrote earlier: it might very well be better to hold off for sometime before it makes in to Debian.

petteri

#9 Post by petteri »

Don't like Ubuntu. I have the feeling it just takes the developing away from debian (as I can see many debian devs are also working on ubuntu), don't really see why there has to be yet again new distro for something that could have been done with debian.

But I have say that they are really much more newbie friendly and in the end thats really big bonus, it's allways nice to see new linux users.

Debian has been really good to as I really enjoy the big package collection etc.
What do you guys think about the latest software packaging? I believe Debian does take a long time for them to get the latest software even on unstable.
Don't really know any other distro where I can find so much and so new packages (for example just installed beagle, emacs-snapshot etc.). Here is nice example how fast debian is getting those packages: http://people.warp.es/~isaac/blog/index ... re-work-24
Ok. I know that the big packages are problematic (such as x.org, gnome, kde etc) but I think I can live with those not getting to unstable at the release day.

Roeland

#10 Post by Roeland »

What's the point of instantly getting new software feature releases. It's not as if your wordprocessor won't run anymore on version 5.12-1111 the day 5.12-1112 is released.

As long as I get my daily dose of security patches, I don't mind waiting a little longer for a new GNOME release or something. I've got a life and stuff... and other things to worry about ;).

And besides that, it's never a dull day in the land of Debian. Things happening all the time, so only for that reason Debian is a great project.

-Roeland
Science Center

The Virus

#11 Post by The Virus »

GNOME is disqustingly ugly.

Long live blackbox and XFCE

odin

#12 Post by odin »

well I've using ubuntu like 3 months to see what was so amazing about it and the only thing I can say is that for newbies it is probably a very good distribution easy to manage and friendly to get into the linux world.

About the sudo thing I can say that I used sudo the first day then just "sudo passwd root" and that's it so I dont see it as something really bad.Just 3 words can solve it...but anyway once you get some experience debian is the best.

The Virus

#13 Post by The Virus »

odin wrote:Just 3 words can solve it
And only two with debian

$ su
password:
#

Xianuro

#14 Post by Xianuro »

All of you already told why Ubuntu exist:
- More up to date packages
- More user friendly
- Better support for newbies

Debian has been very closed to this things.

sprucio

Debian for now

#15 Post by sprucio »

I've decided that I'm going to stay with Debian for the time being.

The annoying thing with Debian is that sometimes, with it's rules, software packages will suffer.

The latest example with this: Mozilla-*.

I can't blame Debian for everything but I think that this should be resolved immediately.

Roeland

#16 Post by Roeland »

Well, make some noise, or provide them with some resources.

-Roeland
Science Center

sprucio

#17 Post by sprucio »

I honestly wish I had more time to devote to a distro like Debian since it's been so kind to me.

Unfortunately, I'm swarmed with M$ at work and I find it very hard to find the time to even set up my machine at home.

sprucio

Decision made

#18 Post by sprucio »

Decision has been made.

I will stick with Debian since it's really the best distro I've used.

#19 Post by Guest »

I am posting this on Kubuntu '
I installed Kubuntu after quite a few install problems with
the Debian installer and its ability to detect , corectly my hardware.
I do not have a particular preference as to which I use (previously ,
a SuSE user for the last few years).
No RPMs and dependency woes - is good

pagey007

#20 Post by pagey007 »

I have tried the top 10 on distrowatch,sudo in kubunto was a pain,I currently use both Debian and Simply Mepis,Apt-get rocks ,Just installed KDE 3.4.2 in debian and simply mepis on both my p4's ,kde 3.4.2 is fast ,No dependency hell!,Apart from the semi manuel debian installer it has been a breeze,Debian is pure,Its got to be good for you. :)
The harder I work the luckier I get.