Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installer problem (hangs at 5%) [Solution, not question]

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
briansteffens

Installer problem (hangs at 5%) [Solution, not question]

#1 Post by briansteffens »

Over the past couple of days, I have encountered a strange problem while installing Debian (Etch, but I'm guessing this takes place on any installer). It hangs at 5% of 'Selecting and Installing Packages'. I am by no means a guru, but the problem appears to be caused by a changed or offline keyserver. The following is a workaround:

- Boot the installer with the 'expertgui' option. (Upon boot from disk there will be a prompt. Instead of just pressing enter, type 'expertgui' and then press enter.)

- Begin the installation as normal, stopping after 'Configure the package manager' and before 'Select and install software.'

- At this point, press ALT+CTRL+F2 to bring up a console.

- Press enter to activate the console.

- Run the command: "chroot /target" - this will place you into the system you are installing.

- Run the command: "aptitude install debian-archive-keyring" - this will install the keyring.

- Run the command: "aptitude update" - The update should now work correctly, with no errors about unverified keys.

- Press ALT+CTRL+F5 to return to the graphical installer.

- Continue the installation as normal to the end.

Note: the ALT+CTRL+F2/F5 keys seem to vary slightly from installer to installer. You may not need to press CTRL, or returning to the graphical installer may be F1 instead of F5.
~B

chealer

#2 Post by chealer »

Which installer are you using?

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#3 Post by Scotti »

I experienced the same thing when I attempted to install with Etch last week. I just grabbed the netinst image from the top of the list, i386. Sure enough, it didn't make it through all the way, so I just grabbed my Sarge disc and installed with that. Odd.

StarMonkey

#4 Post by StarMonkey »

Thanks for starting this thread - I was building a server yesterday with etch netinst amd64 and it stopped at 5%. I left it when I went home but I'll be trying it again tomorrow and I'll try your solution.

briansteffens

#5 Post by briansteffens »

chealer: I had this happen with Etch NetInstall (both i386 and AMD64), and heard in #debian about someone having this problem in Sid NetInst i386.
~B

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#6 Post by Lavene »

chealer

#7 Post by chealer »

briansteffens wrote:chealer: I had this happen with Etch NetInstall (both i386 and AMD64)
But which Etch netinstall? There are currently at least two such things, the weekly and daily builds.

zombie

#8 Post by zombie »

Hi there.

I just tried this solution with the most recent testing netinstall image (http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily ... etinst.iso) but it does not work. I also tried "apt-get update" but the packages could not be validated. "apt-get install debian-archive-keyring" did not do anything as the package was already up to date. I had to add the signing key manually:

Code: Select all

sh-3.1# gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 6070D3A1
sh-3.1# gpg --armor --export 6070D3A1 | apt-key add -
sh-3.1# apt-get update
It seems that even the daily or weekly images still lack the required keys.

Kind regards

K. Zumbusch

#9 Post by Guest »

From the debian site:

Current issues

* [26 Feb 2007] Installations will fail due to a missing archive signing key. A fix for this has been uploaded, but won't reach etch for a day or two. A workaround is to pass "debian-installer/allow_unauthenticated=true" when booting the installer.

Cheers :)

timg

#10 Post by timg »

worked fine for me,although i just used the bog standard installer not expertgui when it came to selecting the software I did a ctrl+alt+f2 and then to get back in ctrl+alt+f1.

I am using an old installer disk though (~10/06 d/l)

t

lechef

#11 Post by lechef »

Anonymous wrote:From the debian site:

Current issues

* [26 Feb 2007] Installations will fail due to a missing archive signing key. A fix for this has been uploaded, but won't reach etch for a day or two. A workaround is to pass "debian-installer/allow_unauthenticated=true" when booting the installer.

this doesnt work for me

i get kernel image debian-installer/allow_unauthenticated=true not found

i use the i386 netinst image

kcknbck

Etch netinst stops at 5%

#12 Post by kcknbck »

My etch install was hanging up at 5% also and I had the most recent Netinst download from 2 days ago. When I changed to the console in the background basically all I had was this question at the end:
Do you want to ignore this warning and proceed anyway?

Google didn't turn up anything, so I came here for help. I'm currently trying what is listed above for install. I'll report back my findings.

kcknbck

Etch netinst stops at 5%

#13 Post by kcknbck »

I followed the instructions at the very top of this post (except you don't have to use expert gui if you don't want to) up to and including:

- Run the command: "chroot /target" - this will place you into the system you are installing.

Once that was done I used the code from zombie quoted below except the pgp.mit.edu server wasn't responding or giving a key so I substituted wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net and thus far I'm sailing through the rest of the install.

Do not forget that the code below is case sensitive so use it or it will not work
zombie wrote:Hi there.

I just tried this solution with the most recent testing netinstall image (http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily ... etinst.iso) but it does not work. I also tried "apt-get update" but the packages could not be validated. "apt-get install debian-archive-keyring" did not do anything as the package was already up to date. I had to add the signing key manually:

Code: Select all

sh-3.1# gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 6070D3A1
sh-3.1# gpg --armor --export 6070D3A1 | apt-key add -
sh-3.1# apt-get update
It seems that even the daily or weekly images still lack the required keys.

Kind regards

K. Zumbusch

adm

#14 Post by adm »

When will it start working properly? Or is it already fixed? :shock:

#15 Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:From the debian site:

Current issues

Thanks, I tried the fix topic creator suggested with no success, and then I tried that fix. I used "install debian-installer/allow_unauthenticated=true" when I booted and nothing went wrong, everything went normally. No wasting another CD-R, too!

:D