Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WORKING RESOLVED canon LBP2900B printer debian ubuntu

Need help with peripherals or devices?
administr4tor

WORKING RESOLVED canon LBP2900B printer debian ubuntu

#1 Post by administr4tor »

I am making this single post for users who have trouble installing and making their CANON printer work in any debian operating system because lots of pages are there at several distor's forums where users have nonworking CAnon printers and topic is left unanswered , I am new to open source and jumped from windows 7 to opensource. I tried to switch to open source one year back too but that time I tried a lot make my printer work but due to less dedication and mistakes i was unable to make it work.I thought to use opensource again and this time I made it work. So from last 3 days i was asking everywhere at every support channel and reading mostly every webpage/forums about installing the CANON2900B driver installation pages and then after work of 3 days I made it working at following Distro releases:-

1. Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander.
2. Linux Mint 16 Petra.
3. Debian 7.0 Wheezy.

Special credit and thanks to 'Walex' and ubuntu support forums.

I already assume that you have read the installation guide supplied with the driver from Canon website for linux distros located inside the driver file you downloaded.

After reading that installation guide read this - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CanonCaptDrv190

************************************************************************************************************
PRINTER INSTALLATION GUIDE ( 64BIT MACHINES )

Printer Name - CANON2900B

DELETE everything you have done before as these are required in following order to make it work.Scroll below for how to delete printer.

1.ls /dev/usb/
Mypcoutput - lp0
IF there is no output then Printer is not connected to computer , check the wires and all connections , it is most likely USB is not connected or power is off but if both are ON then try restarting computer and then check else reinstall distro.

2. sudo apt-get install ia32-libs libglade2-0 libpopt0:i386 // is because those are listed as the 'Depends:' prerequisites of the Canon '.deb' //
IF it give error in 64bit machines then do
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

3.sudo mkdir /var/ccpd // not mentioned in Canon installation guide but it is required as it creates the spool directory and the spool service socket for the Canon rasterizer daemon 'ccpd'//
4.sudo mkfifo /var/ccpd/fifo0 // not mentioned in Canon installation guide but it is required as it creates the spool directory and the spool service socket for the Canon rasterizer daemon 'ccpd'//

5.sudo chown -R lp:lp /var/ccpd

6.sudo apt-get install cups
7.sudo service cups stop
8.sudo service cups start
9.sudo service ccpd stop

10 ./usr/sbin/lpadmin -p LBP5000 -m CNCUPSLBP2900CAPTK.ppd -v ccp://localhost:59787 -E Register the printer (PPD) with the print spooler. //read the installation guide STEP 5 //
HERE 59787 WILL BE USED , 59687 IS MISTAKE FROM CANON wont work in debian distros and debians UI ports is <Ports>
# Status monitoring socket port.
# Default 59787
UI_Port 59787

11./usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -p LBP5000 -o /dev/usb/lp0 // Register the printer in the ccpd daemon setup file. // STEP 6 installation guide////

12./etc/init.d/ccpd start // Start ccpd daemon. STEP 7 installation guide.//

13 http://localhost:631 and it should be like this i.imgur.com/quMuymd.png

************************************************************************************************************
Testing YOUR installation-

$$ sudo ccpdadmin status

CUPS_ConfigPath = /etc/cups/
LOG Path = None
UI Port = 59787

Entry Num : Spooler : Backend : FIFO path : Device Path : Status
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0] : canon : ccp : //localhost:59787 : /dev/usb/lp0 :

$$ cat /etc/ccpd.conf

# Canon Printer Daemon for CUPS Configuration Data
<Path>
# CUPS configuration file path.
# Default /etc/cups/

CUPS_ConfigPath /etc/cups/

# Log directory path.
# LogDirectoryPath /var/log/CCPD/http://paste.debian.net/70760

</Path>

# Printer entries.
# Mapping each "Printer Name" to each "Printer Device Port".
# The "Printer Name" has to be identical to the CUPS printer queue name.
#
# For example, if you prepare a printer named "LBP3200" as a CUPS printer
# queue name, and the printer is connected to the USB port "/dev/usb/lp0",
# you can use the following three lines example just by removing the
# comment symbol "#" of each line.
#<Printer LBP3200>
#DevicePath /dev/usb/lp0
#</Printer>

<Printer 2900>
DevicePath /dev/usb/lp0
</Printer>

<Ports>
# Status monitoring socket port.
# Default 59787
UI_Port 59787
PDATA_Port 59687
</Ports>

$$ sudo service cups status
Status of Common Unix Printing System: cupsd is running.

$$ sudo service ccpd status
/usr/sbin/ccpd: 5086 5084 4093 4092 //IMPORTANT -> here it should show atleast two numbers if it is not showing two numbers here then something wrong restart cups , ccpd , printer , restart pc , printer or reinstall again , two numbers are here because one is ccpd process and other number is created when printer is connected so other number is for child process//

DELETING PRINTER

sudo ccpdadmin status

LOG Path = None
UI Port = 59787

root@debian:/home/sun# sudo ccpdadmin

Usage:
ccpdadmin [-p Printer-name -o Printer-dev-path]
ccpdadmin [-x Remove-Printer-name]

LOG Path = None
UI Port = 59787

$$ ccpdadmin -x canon
$$ ccpdadmin -x canon // to look again that it is deleted //

TROUBLESHOOTING

PRINTER NOT PRINTING TEST PAGE -

1. check cups service running.
2. check ccpd service running.

3. Turn power off printer.

$$ sudo /etc/init.d/cups stop //stop cups service
$$ sudo /etc/init.d/ccpd stop //stop ccpd service

4. Restart computer

5. Turn power on Printer.

$$ sudo /etc/init.d/cups start //start cups service
$$ sudo /etc/init.d/ccpd start // start ccpd service

6. Even not printing ?
>> Recheck all steps above
>> If its still not printing then Delete everything , check all steps before installation and then reinstall printer and check again.
>> Read the https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CanonCaptDrv190 and printer installation guide again and see if you made any mistakes.

Enjoy printing!
Last edited by administr4tor on 2014-03-17 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

balasankarc

Re: WORKING RESOLVED canon LBP2900B printer debian ubuntu

#2 Post by balasankarc »

Sorry, but is the "LBP5000" in step 10 a mistake or was it intentional. Because, we are talking about LBP2900B na?

administr4tor

#3 Post by administr4tor »

yes, its a mistake, thanks for pointing it out

pdc_2

#4 Post by pdc_2 »

thanks for your detailed post; and I assume you are "subscribed" to the thread; to follow up;

you said
sudo mkdir /var/ccpd/fifo0 not mentioned in Canon installation guide but it is required
and you recommend
/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p LBP5000 -m CNCUPSLBP2900CAPTK.ppd -v ccp://localhost:59787 -E
......I had understood the ccp://localhost:59787 obviates the need for fifo; (ie it is an either/or situation and you don't need both)

I have thought an excellent guide to the CAPT drivers is by Sivella; who maintains the french CAPT support; http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/tutoriel/insta ... _canon_lbp

oui, c'est en francais but google translate does a decent job of translating; alibeit confusing the spacing in the commands

I just thought to add these notes as these drivers require more work and get more postings

best wishes

mrchandra729

#5 Post by mrchandra729 »

is it the same for 32 bit mschine

administr4tor

#6 Post by administr4tor »

I have not tried on 32bit, but you can try.

pdc_2

#7 Post by pdc_2 »

32bit is simpler;

if you use google translate to move from the french http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/tutoriel/insta ... _canon_lbp

this guide lays out what to do; (google translate does mess with the space between commands, so watch out for that)

Francewhoa

#8 Post by Francewhoa »

Newest Canon driver version 290 and how-to install on Debian Wheezy 7 at https://wiki.debian.org/PrinterDriver/Canon/UFR-II
- - -
Loving back your Debian community result in multiple benefits for you. https://www.debian.org/intro/help