Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Enlightenment 18 on Debian Stable Deleted Why?

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
stevepusser

Re: Enlightenment 18 on Debian Stable Deleted Why?

#41 Post by stevepusser »

Doing it the right way is a lot more work than just adding Ubuntu repositories. We'd be happy to have your help, if you're willing to learn. Take a look at MX 14 when we do the release tomorrow--we've got a pantsload of backports on top of Wheezy there, and everything works smoothly without upgrading any base system libraries (Glib, libc6, GTK+2, QT4, etc)

And here's how you can destroy people's installs by doing something incorrectly, and not even doing a test install on the default GNOME Wheezy desktop:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-backpor ... 00114.html
MX Linux packager and developer

Randicus

#42 Post by Randicus »

xetaprime wrote:God forbid someone should add an Ubuntu repo.
May all the gods and goddesses forbid that someone understand the system and package management in general before telling everyone else how stupid they are. :roll:
really shows now many bugs must be up some asses here
Get enough fools proselytising stupid ideas and bugs will form in asses. It is called cause and effect. Like adding Butnut repos (cause) and the system breaking after an update (effect).

Absent Minded

#43 Post by Absent Minded »

So, these days you have a newer libc6 from ubuntu installed on your system... What are you going to do the next time you want to install another package from Debian stable on your system that thinks it should be using the older one? Think you wont be? Here is an easy example: Debian stable recieves security updates, some of which require libc6 and they look for a specific version of the libc6 package. Do you down-grade and loose all your effort? Maybe you choose not to recieve the updates leaving your system vonerable. It is my guess there were more things installed from ubuntu than just Enlightnment, updated packages that were needed to run E18. This could likely mean that other programs had to be upgraded as well. Do you see where I am going here? Unless you will never install or update anything on your system again, it is very likely something will break if you try to maintain even just the security updates to your system. Even ubuntu, as sloppy as they are, tell everyone that ubuntu packages are not binarly compatable with Debian and now you are going to throw in a mixedup, partly upgraded mess of packages. You seem like you are smart enough to fallow out the results of this in your head. If you never update or install anthing else, your system will probibly continue to work about like it is now I suppose.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

vbrummond

#44 Post by vbrummond »

I have no problem with paying for things, but I do have a problem with key codes. I won't have an installer turn to a coffee coaster because I can no longer ask them for a key. It's why I switched in the first place and still am here today. If it breaks I can support it myself, and don't have to shell out cash or beg like a dog for tech support.
Always on Debian Testing

xetaprime

#45 Post by xetaprime »

Absent Minded wrote:So, these days you have a newer libc6 from ubuntu installed on your system...
The Libc6 upgrade is from Debian Jessie. If you use Debian Testing there's no need to upgrade libc6. And again FWIW my deb stable e18 is working just fine. Sorry to disappoint everyone :shock:

Absent Minded

#46 Post by Absent Minded »

xetaprime wrote:
Absent Minded wrote:So, these days you have a newer libc6 from ubuntu installed on your system...
The Libc6 upgrade is from Debian Jessie. If you use Debian Testing there's no need to upgrade libc6. And again FWIW my deb stable e18 is working just fine. Sorry to disappoint everyone :shock:
If we were talking instead of typing one might say you have selective hearing. What happend to addressing the main point of what I was saying. Even if you did get libc6 from Jessie, you can not install other programs/packages from stable that require the older libc6, your point is a bit moot.

Edit: If you were going to run testing then one wouldn't need your tutorial on how to install e18 on stable...
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

xetaprime

#47 Post by xetaprime »

I didn't feel what you were saying needed addressing. I have all the programs I need installed and have not experienced version conflict. Does that mean it won't happen? No. Say the worst happens, I'll install my remastered Debian Testing e18 that's all configured.

The tutorial which was only meant to share e18, was not meant as stable only how to. Did you read it before it was removed? As far as I know, unless things have changed, e17 is available through Jessie, not e18. I'll check in a minute though. Who knows maybe last week it's been upgraded.

xetaprime

#48 Post by xetaprime »

Hey look at that! 18 minutes and my remastersys Deb Test e18 is back in! Who knew? :twisted:

confuseling

#49 Post by confuseling »

You've been told repeatedly that you're doing it the wrong way, by some of the most knowledgeable members of the forum.

What is difficult for you to grasp here?

This is the equivalent of walking into a mechanics' forum and saying "You don't need to waste money buying all those car parts, just use gaffer tape". Nobody cares if it works for you so far, it's bad practise and extremely fragile.

Start a blog.
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

dasein

#50 Post by dasein »

xetaprime wrote:Hey look at that! 18 minutes and my remastersys Deb Test e18 is back in! Who knew? :twisted:

xetaprime

#51 Post by xetaprime »

confuseling wrote:You've been told repeatedly that you're doing it the wrong way, by some of the most knowledgeable members of the forum.

What is difficult for you to grasp here?

This is the equivalent of walking into a mechanics' forum and saying "You don't need to waste money buying all those car parts, just use gaffer tape". Nobody cares if it works for you so far, it's bad practise and extremely fragile.

Start a blog.
Please! I tried to post another thread about using the live cd to check things out. How in Atheists name is that dangerous to anything! Yet, it was removed. Why? We shall not speak the name Ubuntu. Here's what I grasp, when it works it works. What I have mostly been responding to 'lately' are inaccuracies. I never said use Libc6 from the Ubuntu branch so I said so.

It may be bad practice and fragile for you and others, hell even myself but that doesn't change the fact my system is working. I know, it's all about control and scare tactics. If I want to mess with my system I can, that's part of what makes Linux great. If I share something that's working for me and post be cautious people should have the choice to explore. But no, I get it. Not here. Fine.

Linux isn't like windows. You can yes, I've said it before remaster your system which allows for more daring-do. Or, just play with the live dvd and see what you can do before installing. Anyone who plays to play may risk their system but in less than 20 minutes your system can be back just as it was- or keep to the live dvd. Regardless I don't buy into all your fear mongering.

Failure brings knowledge if you bother to learn.

P.S. Did you know you can boot a usb? It is 2014. Seriously? Okay run a usb and again, no risk to your system. Where is the harm?

confuseling

#52 Post by confuseling »

xetaprime wrote: Please! I tried to post another thread about using the live cd to check things out. How in Atheists name is that dangerous to anything!
You've mixed together Stable and libc6 from Testing, which aren't binary compatible. You've then added Ubuntu, which isn't binary compatible.

It's worked so far for you, for the things you've tried in the software you've tried installing. You haven't tried everything, and Testing changes, so that may change.

Other software you haven't tried... who knows? It isn't binary compatible, so its behaviour isn't defined. It'll probably just crash, but it could theoretically do just about anything.

It's a bad idea.
xetaprime wrote: Yet, it was removed. Why? We shall not speak the name Ubuntu.
There are plenty of how-tos and other bits of advice dotted around the forum suggesting the use of Ubuntu repositories. In certain circumstances (e.g. something written in an interpreted language, or consisting of themes or other assets instead of programs) it's probably safe.

It isn't safe installing a DE...
xetaprime wrote: Here's what I grasp, when it works it works. What I have mostly been responding to 'lately' are inaccuracies. I never said use Libc6 from the Ubuntu branch so I said so.

It may be bad practice and fragile for you and others, hell even myself but that doesn't change the fact my system is working. I know, it's all about control and scare tactics. If I want to mess with my system I can, that's part of what makes Linux great. If I share something that's working for me and post be cautious people should have the choice to explore. But no, I get it. Not here. Fine.

Linux isn't like windows. You can yes, I've said it before remaster your system which allows for more daring-do. Or, just play with the live dvd and see what you can do before installing. Anyone who plays to play may risk their system but in less than 20 minutes your system can be back just as it was- or keep to the live dvd. Regardless I don't buy into all your fear mongering.

Failure brings knowledge if you bother to learn.

P.S. Did you know you can boot a usb? It is 2014. Seriously? Okay run a usb and again, no risk to your system. Where is the harm?
The harm is that the behaviour of the system is undefined. Libc6 is very much at the core of the system, and Testing is ever changing. Ubuntu binaries are notorious for breaking Debian. There are certain things you can install from Ubuntu (or mix from Testing to Stable), but it has to be done carefully.

Start a blog, be your own editor, you'll be much happier...

http://wordpress.com/
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

llivv

#54 Post by llivv »

it probably got deleted for the same reason this thread will be deleted.
The only difference I see is that this thread is in the forums complaints section.

Be the first to have your thread removed from here too.
At least it will be the first one that I'm aware of.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

dasein

#55 Post by dasein »

If I had a Green Hammer, I'd certainly lock this thread.

Whatever actual utility it may have once had, it's long since devolved into mere whining (from the OP because his brilliance is soooooo unappreciated :roll:, and from the rest of us because we're not smart enough to stop feeding this troll).

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#56 Post by 4D696B65 »

The question of why did my other thread get deleted has been answered. Bad advice that can harm a system has no place here.
This thread has run its course and will now be locked.