Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing libstdc++5 and libgtk1.2 for IBM Java PPC

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
phlegmer

Installing libstdc++5 and libgtk1.2 for IBM Java PPC

#1 Post by phlegmer »

I'm working on a Kurobox HG (which is a PowerPC NAS that is a more open form of a Buffalo Linkstation HG). Specifically, I've been dabbling with getting Java 1.5 on it. The only place that has a PPC version of Java is offered from IBM. Unfortunately, they only offer .tgz and .rpm packages and no .deb packages. Originally when I installed Java 1.4.2 on my first Kurobox a while back, I followed this wiki page on how to make a .deb package from a .tgz using fakeroot make-jpkg. This seemed to work fine but now that I have another Kurobox, I thought perhaps I should try Java 1.5. There is a wiki for the Kurobox on how to install Java 1.5 but it's for Fedora.

ANYWAY..... enough background. Here is the real issue I've run into after lots of trial and error (aka pain and suffering). In order to successfully make the .deb package without all sorts of warnings about not being able to find dependencies for library files, I've read here that the IBM Java binaries depend on libstdc++5 and libgtk1.2 packages.
it's possible that these libraries are not installed because they've been replaced by libstdc++6 and libgtk2.0.
I'm not sure how I check to see what I do or don't have installed. When I try to make the .deb package, I do get tons of warnings so that tells me that I don't have the correct libstdc++ and libgtk installed. As a shot from the hip, I did download libstdc++5 and installed it. Unfortunately, that seemed to break a few things (like gcc I believe) so obviously I didn't go about installing it correctly.

So my questions are this.

1. How do I find out what libstdc++ and libgtk version I have installed?
2. How does one install these two components correctly without breaking something else in the process?

Thanks much in advance!

PS: I'm still learning Linux so the more details the better :)

synux

#2 Post by synux »

Odd.. I have both libstdc++5 and libstdc++6:

Code: Select all

ZaNuX_A5:~# apt-cache policy libstdc++5
libstdc++5:
  Installed: 1:3.3.6-15
  Candidate: 1:3.3.6-15
  Version table:
 *** 1:3.3.6-15 0
        990 http://ftp.fi.debian.org etch/main Packages
        500 http://ftp.fi.debian.org sid/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
ZaNuX_A5:~# apt-cache policy libstdc++6
libstdc++6:
  Installed: 4.2-20070105-1
  Candidate: 4.2-20070105-1
  Version table:
 *** 4.2-20070105-1 0
          1 http://ftp.fi.debian.org experimental/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     4.1.1-21 0
        990 http://ftp.fi.debian.org etch/main Packages
        500 http://ftp.fi.debian.org sid/main Packages
So doing this breaks something, right?
apt-get install libstdc++5 libgtk1.2

Just a note: The packages aren't replaced by libstdc++6 and libgtk2.0.. as libstdc++5 and libstdc++6 are different packages.. but if it was named only libstdc++ then it would have been replaced with the new version.. the same applies to the GTK package.
Last edited by synux on 2007-02-22 18:52, edited 2 times in total.
Don't dream your life; live your dream!

phlegmer

#3 Post by phlegmer »

So doing this breaks something, right?
apt-get install libstdc++5 libgtk1.2
Well, I didn't do an apt-get because I wasn't 100% sure what to use for the name (libstdc++, libstdc++5, etc) So I went here for libstdc++5 and did a dpkg -i to install it. Not sure if it installing it the apt-get way or the dpkg way matters.

Interesting enough, it looks like I already have libstdc++5 installed

KURO-BOX:/opt# apt-cache policy libstdc++5
libstdc++5:
  Installed: 1:3.3.5-13
  Candidate: 1:3.3.5-13
  Version Table:
 *** 1:3.3.5-13 0
        500 ftp://ftp.dti.ad.jp stable/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
and libstdc++6 is not

KURO-BOX:/opt# apt-cache policy libstdc++6
libstdc++6:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 3.4.3-13sarge1
  Version Table:
     3.4.3-13sarge1 0
        500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
So I guess that piece is a mute issue. Not sure why doing the manual install broke gcc. Said something like that it wasn't configured or something. Since I was very early in the game anyway, I just wiped the HD and started over.

Perhaps my problem is with libgtk1.2?

KURO-BOX:/opt# apt-cache policy libgtk1.2
libgtk1.2:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.2.10-17
  Version Table:
     1.2.10-17 0
When I look for 2.0 I get

KURO-BOX:/opt# apt-cache policy libgtk2.0
W: Unable to locate package libgtk2.0
So just do an apt-get install libgtk1.2 should possibly wrap up this problem?

Thanks for showing how to see the packages that are installed btw!!

synux

#4 Post by synux »

Don't fear, just execute this:
apt-get install libgtk1.2

apt-get is more handier than dpkg, because it installs all dependencies automatically, while using dpkg you might run into a problem and then you need to look what are the dependencies of the package etc..

This is some off-topic, but are you Japanese :) ?
It came to my mind when I read "Kurobox" and your APT mirror is clearly a Japanese one: ftp.dti.ad.jp

I also see that you are running Debian Sarge.. Sarge doesn't have libgtk2.0, but Debian Etch has it.. If you have time you might want to test it out, as it will be the next "Stable" release and Sarge will be "oldstable" (deprecated).. Debian Etch is very stable now so I highly recommend downloading and installing it.. You can get Debian Etch images from here: http://www.us.debian.org/devel/debian-i ... index.html
Last edited by synux on 2007-02-22 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

phlegmer

#5 Post by phlegmer »

Nope, not Japanese. The Kurobox is and perhaps that is where the Debian distro for the Kurobox was made as well (linky)

I did install do a apt-get install libgtk1.2 feeling very confident that would get rid of the warnings during the fakeroot make-jpkg process. Unfortunately, it didnt' help. :cry:

Apparently the Ubuntu wiki lied. Here is a taste of the warning I'm getting:
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find any packages for (libXp.so.6)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for shared librar
y libXp (soname 6, path , dependency field Depends)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find any packages for (libXtst.so.6)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for shared librar
y libXtst (soname 6, path , dependency field Depends)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find any packages for (libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0)
y libgtk-x11-2.0 (soname 0, path , dependency field Depends)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find any packages for (libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0)
y libgdk-x11-2.0 (soname 0, path , dependency field Depends)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find any packages for (libgmodule-2.0.so.0)
y libgmodule-2.0 (soname 0, path , dependency field Depends)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find any packages for (libXt.so.6)
y libXt (soname 6, path , dependency field Depends)

synux

#6 Post by synux »

Try your luck after executing this:
apt-get install libxp6 libxtst6 libxt6 libgtk2.0-0 libglib2.0-0

It seems that Sarge does have libgtk2.0.., sorry for the false comment above :)

phlegmer

#7 Post by phlegmer »

Hmmm, after looking a little closer at the errors / warnings, it would appear that most of them are for X windows. Since this is a NAS, X windows for sure won't be used. I do recall getting warnings when I followed the wiki for installing Java 1.4.2. It never mentioned anything about the errors so I just went on and the Java apps seemed to work without a hitch. But Java 1.5 is sorta new ground and I'm just piecing together information from various sites on how to do this.

Since it still does create a .deb package, I'll may just give it a shot and see what happens if I install it. Just thought it may be a more robust .dep package if it was made without all those warnings.

The worst case would be to start over again (which isn't a big deal anymore).

..unless ya'll highly recommend installing the mentioned packages first and then create the .dep package? I will also install a VNC server app later which I'm not sure if installing the mentioned packages will interfere with VNC or not.

synux

#8 Post by synux »

Try installing the packages.. but if they need X Windows, then don't install them..

phlegmer

#9 Post by phlegmer »

Well, I went ahead and tried installing each package one by one and then creating the .dep package to see if it made a difference. And each time it seems it did. I ended up with less error each time. When I installed libgtk2.0-0, I was greeted with some sort of prompt if I want fonts to managed by defoma or something. I just just picked the default of yes because no said it would be manual. Tried to install libglib2.0-0 but appearently that is already on it. So now I'm left the just a couple error left
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find path for libXmu.so.6
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find path for libodbc.so.1
Tried apt-get install libxmu and libodbc but that must be the wrong names.

Thoughts?

synux

#10 Post by synux »

apt-get install libxmu6 unixodbc

That should fix everything.. I hope you get it soon compiled succesfully :D
*And that I get some good reputation :twisted: :twisted: *

Cheers,
Synux

phlegmer

#11 Post by phlegmer »

That did it! A new java 1.5 .deb package without errors / warnings has been successfully created! Thanks a lot for the help. If all is successful with the Java apps that I want to run, I'll be sure to create a wiki on the Kurobox site to share the knowledge.

Follow-up questions:

1. Would there be any problems if I removed some of these packages I had installed? Just in case I find out they interfere with something I need later.

1a. If OK, I just do an "apt-get remove package-name correct?

Thanks again!!

plugwash

#12 Post by plugwash »

well presumablly your new java package will depend on those libraries so removing them will remove your java package as well (not that you should have any reason to remove them)

synux

#13 Post by synux »

1. Think of it like this way: You have a cup in your hand (Debian+All the packages), then you pour tea (Java) in your cup, and suddenly "remove" your cup, how do you drink (use) the tea?

So to make it clear: Your Java package depends on these packages: libstdc++5 libxp6 libxtst6 libxt6 libgtk2.0-0 libglib2.0-0 libxmu6 unixodbc.. Without them, your Java package will be "broken" and won't work, because the required dependencies are not met.

1a. Yes, to remove a package, you execute apt-get remove packagename.

plugwash

#14 Post by plugwash »

its coffee not tea ;)

synux

#15 Post by synux »

plugwash wrote:its coffee not tea ;)
Well, I drink both from a cup so what's the difference? :lol: