Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Hello .. I need help plz

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Ahmed.alibrahim

Hello .. I need help plz

#1 Post by Ahmed.alibrahim »

Hello,
Actually I'm a new debian user I have just set up the system few days ago so I'm trying to learn how to deal with it and today I noticed that I have hard drives on my desktop which haven't been existing before so I tried to remove them but I couldn't do so could someone tell me how to do that .. It may appear as a stupid question but i'm really 0 beginner so excuse me .. thanks alot I will appreciate it really .. :)

confuseling

Re: Hello .. I need help plz

#2 Post by confuseling »

1) It's impossible to answer such a question without more detail. What Debian version are you using? What desktop environment? Do you know what you installed / changed that made these 'hard drives' appear? When you say you tried to remove them, by doing what? What happened? If you click (or double click) on them to open them, what opens? Is there a menu if you right click on them?

2) "Hello .. I need help plz" is not a good name for a thread. Pretty much everyone posting a thread needs help, so you should describe the problem in the title - then the right people (who know the answer, or are looking for it in future) can find it.
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

Ahmed.alibrahim

#3 Post by Ahmed.alibrahim »

thanks for ur response ..
Actually I'm using Kali linux latest version it's based on Debian Gnome desktop environment .. i was installing apps through Applications > system tools > add/remove software and was browsing the internet when I went to desktop suddenly I noticed that hard drive appears on it .. i will attach screenshot of it otherwise with right click options available are : open - resize icons- send to - tags - format - unmount -properties
concerning notice 2 I'm so sorry as I've joined the forum today next time I promise that it's gonna be specified ..

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

Ahmed.alibrahim wrote:Actually I'm using Kali linux
Then your question belongs here: http://forums.kali.org/

Ahmed.alibrahim

#5 Post by Ahmed.alibrahim »

I tried to attach screenshots but I encountered Internal server error ..

Ahmed.alibrahim

#6 Post by Ahmed.alibrahim »

dasein wrote:
Ahmed.alibrahim wrote:Actually I'm using Kali linux
Then your question belongs here: http://forums.kali.org/
ah ok thanks anyway I thought that it has to be posted here as Kali is based on Debian

ew-linux

#7 Post by ew-linux »

Send a link to a screenshot. Just upload it somewhere, and I'll have a look...

confuseling

#8 Post by confuseling »

Moving to Offtopic...

Linadian

#9 Post by Linadian »

Try going it to Desktop properties or settings (possibly through a right click on the Desktop), uncheck 'Show Devices on the Desktop'...if there is such an option, you may have to dig around for it, most DEs have that option. This question was too much rocket science for the purple wonders.
Linux Registered User 533946

confuseling

#10 Post by confuseling »

Linadian wrote:Try going it to Desktop properties or settings (possibly through a right click on the Desktop), uncheck 'Show Devices on the Desktop'...if there is such an option, you may have to dig around for it, most DEs have that option. This question was too much rocket science for the purple wonders.
If you like, start a Debian derivatives forum somewhere else.

This isn't it.

ew-linux

#11 Post by ew-linux »

@ Confuseling..

Debian is Debian, and that issue could just as well happen in stock Debian, as in Kali. No need to bash people for trying other distros. It benefits Linux as a whole, and that includes Debian. Only the most lazy linux users stick to one distro.

confuseling

#12 Post by confuseling »

ew-linux wrote:@ Confuseling..

Debian is Debian, and that issue could just as well happen in stock Debian, as in Kali.
At what point do you draw the line? Is Mint Debian? What about Ubuntu?

This is a Debian forum, not a Debian and its derivatives forum. Having people post about any number of incompatible systems with different stock configurations would be complete chaos. If people ask questions about derivatives they will be moved to offtopic, and the poster will have the right forum pointed out to them.
No need to bash people for trying other distros. It benefits Linux as a whole, and that includes Debian. Only the most lazy linux users stick to one distro.
Quote me doing that if you can... I'll save you the trouble of searching: you can't.

Linadian

#13 Post by Linadian »

confuseling wrote:If you like, start a Debian derivatives forum somewhere else.

This isn't it.
Why? I run pure Debian stable Xfce, on a dual SSD Raid 0 no less. But when I see an obvious answer to an obvious question, I just answer, unlike the power tripping purple (wannabe) gods here that just run around admonishing people and editing posts. I do see your point but this forum has become so negative, I don't like coming here much anymore. When I have a problem, 90% of the time my answer is found OUTSIDE of this now sad forum, so your high-horse is unwarranted. :P :lol:
Linux Registered User 533946

Job

#14 Post by Job »

Only the most lazy linux users stick to one distro.
That's called an opinion.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

golinux

#15 Post by golinux »

Only the most lazy linux users stick to one distro.
If it works, don't fix it. That's not lazy. That's smart!
May the FORK be with you!

codingman

#16 Post by codingman »

I disagree with the statement that all non-distro-hopppers are lazy. Perhaps they have a very good reason to stick with one distro.

If this was Debian + derivatives forum, we'd get Ubuntu traffic, not exactly light on the servers... :mrgreen:

dasein

#17 Post by dasein »

codingman wrote:If this was Debian + derivatives forum, we'd get Ubuntu traffic, not exactly light on the servers... :mrgreen:
The notion that <insert derivative name here> is "the same" as Debian belies multiple realities:
  • 1) "One-off" distros switch bases all the time. What's "debian-based" today may be ubuntu-based tomorrow. Actively tracking and monitoring all the hundreds of possibilities would be an enormous timesink. (Any volunteers?? Didn't think so.)

2) If the "distro" (or respin) is truly a 100% stock Debian install, then it's totally pointless; install Debian and be done with it. If it isn't 100% stock Debian, then supporting it requires an unknown degree of distro-specifc knowledge that actual Debian users are less likely to have. It's like the old joke where the guy asks passersby for help finding a wallet that he lost around the corner from where he's looking, simply because "the light's better over here."

Example: KWheezy is a respin that claims to be nothing more than 100% Debian that's been really well-configured for KDE. And yet, stock Wheezy+KDE detects and uses my audio card without any trouble at all, but KWheezy does not. Clearly, there is a difference between KWheezy's OOB config and Debian KDE's. What exactly is that difference? Dunno and don't care. At the end of the day, it's madness to try to help a KWheezy user diagnose an audio problem that can't even be reproduced in Debian. (Again, just one example among others... no need to bikeshed.)

3) "Based on Debian" is ultimately an empty and therefore useless notion. If one applies the term loosely enough, then half the distros on the planet are "based on" Debian to one degree or another. But Bodhi users are still going to get better answers in a Bodhi forum, and no amount of hand-waving (or hand-wringing) is going to alter that fact in any way.

It's really no different from a PCLOS user asking for help in the Mageia forums. Both distros are loosely "based" on Mandriva, but that doesn't make them identical, nor even particularly similar.
Sheesh.

(Edit: Happened to be at DistroWatch anyway, and "half the distros on the planet" turns out to be almost exactly right. Of the 288 "active" distros tracked by DW, some 138 (48%) of them claim roots in Debian. Tracking the vagaries of all 138 of those distros is left as an exercise to someone vastly more motivated than I will ever be.)
Last edited by dasein on 2014-06-11 02:02, edited 2 times in total.

confuseling

#18 Post by confuseling »

Well put.

If you install Redhat, then recompile everything bit by bit using Debian source, at what point does it become a Greek ship..? :D

If you use Debian install media to install it, and your sources point *only* to Debian or a small set of *strictly* Debian compatible third party repositories, then it's Debian (probably. Unless you're just trying to mess with me, or you've really broken it...)

If either condition fails, it might well not be, and you cannot expect volunteers to support your system which they a) probably have no experience with, b) probably have no particular attachment to, and c) might not have even heard of.

This does not imply anything rude about other distros, it's just practicality.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#19 Post by steve_v »

What I don't get is why so many self proclaimed newbies seem to be using Kali as a desktop OS...
To quote the Kali website:
As the distribution developers, one would likely expect us to recommend that everyone use Kali Linux. The fact of the matter is however, that Kali is a Linux distribution specifically geared towards professional penetration testing and security auditing and as such, it is NOT a recommended distribution for those unfamiliar with Linux.
VS.
"Actually I'm a new debian user"
Really doesn't make much sense to me.
Special 1337 points for running a pentest distro?
Does it hide your pr0n stash better or something?
Wannabe hakerz?
Sheesh, horses for courses.
Install actual Debian, then ask here if you still have problems.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

dasein

#20 Post by dasein »

steve_v wrote:What I don't get is why so many self proclaimed newbies seem to be using Kali as a desktop OS...
[snip]
Does it hide your pr0n stash better or something?
Truth be told, I'm convinced that this is it exactly. IIRC, a couple of versions ago, Kali deployed some sort of swell password gizmo that deletes keyfiles for an encrypted volume, thus enabling the little wankers to set their pr0n stash to self-destruct.

(I wish I were kidding, but I'm not.)