Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

freshplayerplugin: use Pepperflash in other browsers

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
stevepusser

freshplayerplugin: use Pepperflash in other browsers

#1 Post by stevepusser »

This is a PPAPI to NPAPI wrapper in rapid development, but it seems to be fairly stable now. I've only tested it in Firefox and Qupzilla. It's hardcoded to look for the /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so file installed by Chrome, but you can also use the pepperflashplugin-nonfree package in wheezy-backports to just install the file in /usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/libpepflashplayer.so, then create a symlink to that in the Chrome location.

These are MEPIS 12 packages, but should work in Wheezy: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1UMhs ... sp=sharing
MX Linux packager and developer

hakerdefo

Re: freshplayerplugin: use Pepperflash in other browsers

#2 Post by hakerdefo »

A million thanks! This is great! I will test it and will bug you if something goes wrong ;)
Cheers!!!

mor

#3 Post by mor »

This seems nice, but as a complete ignorant about this matter, is there any advantage in pepperflash over flashplugin-nonfree?

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

mor wrote:...is there any advantage in pepperflash over flashplugin-nonfree?
Well, pepperflash is still under active development, whereas Adobe stopped all Linux development for their plugin quite some time ago.

(In other news, the "repo" for pepperflash is currently down. :()

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Over on the MEPIS side, we've had some posts about online Flash game sites demanding a newer Flash than the standard 11.2 you can normally run in non-chrome browsers. The alternatives were Chrome, or running the Windows Flash in Windows Firefox via Wine.
(In other news, the "repo" for pepperflash is currently down. :()
Yes, looks like you'll have to get it out of Chrome yourself...or... kmathern has a wget command (as root) that will do it, too:

Code: Select all

wget -qO- dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/dists/stable/main/binary-$(dpkg --print-architecture)/Packages | grep ^Filename.*google-chrome-stable.*deb | awk '{print "dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/"$2}' | xargs wget -qO- | dpkg-deb --fsys-tarfile /dev/stdin | tar -C / -xf- ./opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so
It seems you can leave the standard 11.2 Flash installed. When I go to the Adobe Flash player test page, it says I'm using 13 :D
Last edited by stevepusser on 2014-05-31 17:12, edited 2 times in total.

dasein

#6 Post by dasein »

stevepusser wrote:Over on the MEPIS side, we've had some posts about online Flash game sites demanding a newer Flash than the standard 11.2 you can normally run in non-chrome browsers. The alternatives were Chrome, or running the Windows Flash in Windows Firefox via Wine.
I think this is awesome. I'm eagerly looking forward to trying it once the repo comes back online.

Thanks, stevepusser!!

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

dasein wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Over on the MEPIS side, we've had some posts about online Flash game sites demanding a newer Flash than the standard 11.2 you can normally run in non-chrome browsers. The alternatives were Chrome, or running the Windows Flash in Windows Firefox via Wine.
I think this is awesome. I'm eagerly looking forward to trying it once the repo comes back online.

Thanks, stevepusser!!
Check out the wget command I added to my previous post. Credit for the packaging goes to the webupd8 PPA, I just rebuilt their package with a bit of grammar fixing in the description.

Edit: It also seem to not work on some streaming video sites, such as video.pbs.org or the live Yellowstone webcam at http://www.nps.gov/features/yell/webcam ... aming.html

Others have reported that it does seem to speed up video pausing and restarting on Youtube.

dasein

#8 Post by dasein »

A follow-up...

The pepperflash widget seems not to be recognized by older versions of FF/IW. I installed the widget, rebooted, and although FF V24 "sees" it, FF V5 does not.

Still, it's amazingly handy, and seems to work as advertised.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

Thanks for the feedback--I hope you meant "restarted" Firefox instead of rebooting the whole system, since that is almost never necessary in Linux.

The plugin has gone from tentative to usable in just a week, so hopefully will continue to improve.

dasein

#10 Post by dasein »

stevepusser wrote:I hope you meant "restarted" Firefox instead of rebooting the whole system
My first step was a Firefox restart; but when the plugin didn't appear, I went ahead and rebooted under the theory that it wouldn't hurt anything, and might just help. It didn't. The older version just doesn't see the plugin.

mor

#11 Post by mor »

dasein wrote:Well, pepperflash is still under active development, whereas Adobe stopped all Linux development for their plugin quite some time ago.
Of course!

My mind was kinda going in the direction of differences in the license and so I didn't think of that.

Well, bad for bad I'll try it.

dasein

#12 Post by dasein »

mor wrote:Well, bad for bad I'll try it.
I think you'll be pleased. I know I am (except for the whole "doesn't work with FF V5" part).

(And I can confirm that the new gizmo way outperforms the old adobe player when it comes to moving around in a YouTube video. Also confirming that it's the plugin that fails @ pbs.org and the OF webcam.)

mor

#13 Post by mor »

Just for the record, "bad" simply referred to them being both non-free software. ;)

dasein

#14 Post by dasein »

mor wrote:Just for the record, "bad" simply referred to them being both non-free software. ;)
Not much we can do about that. :(

Update after several days of use...

This is an interesting gizmo, and I'll be really interested to see how it matures. That said, it's still a very young effort, and I've run across a lot of little problems, particularly as regards compatibility with certain Flash downloader extensions. (Merely stating a fact, not complaining. I'm sincerely impressed that it works as well as it does.)

The thing that I personally feel most frustrated by is the fact that the plugin doesn't work consistently in Pale Moon (a Firefox fork without Australis or DRM, which puts it light-years ahead of anything coming from the intrarectal-cranio-insertion folks at Mozilla, IMO). Sometimes the two seem to work well together; other times... um... not so much.

Again, I recognize that this is still a young effort. But it's a bit of crapshoot at this point. I'm fervently hoping that that will change.

stevepusser

#15 Post by stevepusser »

But it's good to know somebody's working on a solution. The plugin went from very rough to partly usable in only about a week, and the status is still "early alpha". You can read more about the project on their github page: https://github.com/i-rinat/freshplayerplugin

dasein

#16 Post by dasein »

mor wrote:Just for the record, "bad" simply referred to them being both non-free software. ;)
Then here's some good news: MIT License (package name notwithstanding) :cool:

I don't actually care anywhere nearly enough to track details, but I seem to recall some folks opining that standalone distribution of pepperflash player itself might be do-able via contrib. OTOH, since chromium can make it to main, it may turn out that the pepperflash player could make its way there, too.

Bulkley

#17 Post by Bulkley »

dasein wrote:I don't actually care anywhere nearly enough to track details, but I seem to recall some folks opining that standalone distribution of pepperflash player itself might be do-able via contrib. OTOH, since chromium can make it to main, it may turn out that the pepperflash player could make its way there, too.
Are you referring to pepperflashplugin-nonfree in the Sid repository?

dasein

#18 Post by dasein »

Bulkley wrote:Are you referring to pepperflashplugin-nonfree in the Sid repository?
I'm not referring to anything specifically. I have a dim and distant recollection of reading a discussion regarding the hypothetical distribution of the pepperflash player separate from Chrome. As best I can recall (which isn't saying much), someone in that discussion suggested that the player would have to be in contrib, because at the time, it wasn't part of Chromium, and so the only way to get the player was to extract it from Chrome. That may or not still be true. (And for that matter, it may never have been true. I may be misremembering, or the original assertion may have been incorrect. Like I said, it's just not something I care about enough to actively pay attention to.)

However, the PPAPI-to-NPAPI wrapper gadget itself is MIT licensed, which is a step in the right direction.

mor

#19 Post by mor »

dasein wrote:However, the PPAPI-to-NPAPI wrapper gadget itself is MIT licensed, which is a step in the right direction.
The point is that being a wrapper it doesn't save us from ending up with a non-free piece of software, and that is what my comment above was all about.
When I install flashplugin-nonfree I feel bad because I'm using the Adobe non-free thingy. My understanding is that this new freshplayer would have the same issue.
But at least it should be better and more up-to-date, that's gonna be good (hopefully I'll get around making it work and giving it a proper test).

dasein

#20 Post by dasein »

mor wrote:
dasein wrote:However, the PPAPI-to-NPAPI wrapper gadget itself is MIT licensed, which is a step in the right direction.
The point is that being a wrapper it doesn't save us from ending up with a non-free piece of software...
I'm not 100% sure that that's true, although it may be. (To be emphatically and abundantly clear: I'm not making a declarative statement to be QFT. I'm expressing uncertainty.)
mor wrote:My understanding is that this new freshplayer would have the same issue.
If I'm remembering correctly, and if the player is now or ever becomes part of the Chromium code base, that might not be the case. That was the point I was trying to raise.

But given my level of ignorance and of disinterest, along with the speculative nature of my musings, I probably should have kept quiet.

Sorry.