Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installation of CUDA 6.0 on Debian Wheezy

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Loro_Mendes

Installation of CUDA 6.0 on Debian Wheezy

#1 Post by Loro_Mendes »

Dear all, I need to install the CUDA on my computer and I would like to have your thoughts about the following procedure that I think it is right but I am not sure. After reading a lot of posts I figure it out that in order to install properly the CUDA I should do the following:

1) My version of Debian is Wheezy with:

Code: Select all

uname -a
Debian 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.57-3deb7u1 x86_64 GNU/Linux
gcc --version
gcc (Debian 4.7.2-5) 4.7.2
From the NVIDIA website I found that there are two versions for the DEB pkgt (http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-gettin ... n-of-linux)
Distribution x86_64 ARM Kernel GCC GLIBC
Ubuntu 13.04 YES YES 3.8.0 4.7.3 2.17
Ubuntu 12.04 YES* YES 3.2.0 4.6 2.15

Which I think that I need to install the Ubuntu 12.04 due to the Kernel version and gcc (at this moment is cuda-repo-ubuntu1204_6.0-37_amd64.deb)

2) Reading the manual about the installations I figure it out that the pre-requisite is to uninstall the NVIDIA driver

/usr/bin/nvidia-uninstall
And here is the first question:
I installed the NVIDIA driver using the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49.run and due to some incompatibilities I had to

aptitude purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
Which means, so far that I understand, that I have no other X server besides NVIDIA

According to the NVIDIA website there is an incompatibility
The package manager installations (RPM/DEB packages) and the stand-alone installer installations (.run file) of the NVIDIA driver are incompatible
Does anyone knows if is there an incompatibility or is there a minimum version of the driver needed ?

3) In case of necessary to uninstall the Driver so far as I understand, as I already purged the nouveau server I will be out of X server, which means that I need to uninstall it from the command line on a Crt+Alt+F1 tty, for instance, am I right?

4) After uninstall I need to

dpkg -i cuda-repo-<distro>_<version>_<architecture>.deb
on the same directory of the *.deb file downloaded and

apt-get update

apt-get install cuda
Another question, after perform the install cuda and reboot the machine am I getting the NVIDIA drivers installed as well? and the X server back to normal?

5) The post installation, assuming that everything gone right, and I have my X server back again, I should add the following to the PATH

export PATH=/usr/local/cuda-6.0/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/cuda-6.0/lib64:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
But what happens when a new version comes? Should I update the PATH every time?

6) Verify the installation...

Did anyone do something similar? I am asking because I am new to Linux and even more to the CUDA and NVIDIA installations, although that I am going to get a lot of pain but I would like to minimize it...

Suggestions are welcome

Regards

Loro_Mendes

Re: Installation of CUDA 6.0 on Debian Wheezy - SOLVED

#2 Post by Loro_Mendes »

Ok guys, here is an update of the installation process...

Once I had installed the NVIDIA driver before I downloaded the cuda_6.0.37_linux_64.run and

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.6 1 
update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.7 100
Because I had the gcc 4.7 installed on my laptop but not on the update-alternatives with

update-alternatives --config gcc
I choose the 4.6, but I wouldn't need it. The reason for the 4.6 version is because in case of installation of the NVIDIA driver, accordingly to the installation procedure it is necessary to have it close to the one specified on the (http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-gettin ... quirements)

I also installed the libraries suggested by the installation

apt-get install freeglut3-dev build-essential libx11-dev libxmu-dev libxi-dev libgl1-mesa-glx libglu1-mesa libglu1-mesa-dev
And on the tty1 terminal as root

#chmod +x cuda_6.0.37_linux_64.run
# ./cuda_6.0.37_linux_64.run
After reading the license I hit the options

accept
y (unsupported)
n (NVIDIA driver - Previously installed)
y (install toolkit)
enter (default location)
y (simbolic link)
y(samples)
enter (default location)
Tested with the make and after with the following executables
deviceQuery and bandwidthTest

So far so good

I think that answering the questions posted before:
/usr/bin/nvidia-uninstall

There is no need to uninstall the previously installed driver, once it is later then 331.00, which is the minimum requirement for the CUDA 6.0
Also I did'nt lost the X server

At the end it seams that the driver that came with the cuda_6.0.37_linux_64.run although is later (331.64) then the one that I have (331.49) I hadn't any issues so far...

I will post it as SOLVED for now at least

kosongduadua

Re: Installation of CUDA 6.0 on Debian Wheezy

#3 Post by kosongduadua »

Hi!

Thanks! I'll follow your procedure.
I'll post here once I finished installing.