Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SD card not detected unless inserted at boot time

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Jerome

Re: SD card not detected unless inserted at boot time

#41 Post by Jerome »

Jerome wrote:I realized today that this problem has mysteriously disappeared from my machine.

I'm running an up-to-date Jessie with 3.13 kernel from experimental. udisks is installed. I don't know if it was, back then.
I realized today that this problem has mysteriously reappeared on my machine.

I'm running an up-to-date Jessie with 3.14 kernel. udisks is installed.

flabdablet

#42 Post by flabdablet »

Try turning kernel polling on. Some optical disk drives and some card readers simply don't generate the medium-insertion/removal events that less brutal approaches rely on.

llivv

#43 Post by llivv »

Jerome wrote:
bw123 wrote:just out of curiosity i booted a knoppix 6.7 live cd to cli and it does work correctly sensing media until i run

Code: Select all

apt-get purge hal
maybe that will help you better understand the issue, the kernel was 2.6.39 not sure of hal version you could probably look it up.
This would indicate that hal is required. Heard about it but I don't have any specific knowledge. I can check I got that installed / running.

If blkid works, I suppose I could have it croned to run every second and I'd have a seemingly instantaneous detection. But that sucks...
sgosnell wrote:If blkid shows the drive, then the system knows about it.
Yes, that's the good point. It means there has to be a software solution. The ugly one being the blkid polling script. We could identify what specifically in blkid triggers the detection.
tomazzi wrote:Desktop card readers are almost 100% USB devices - so it would be helpfull, if You'll provide "lsusb -v" output with the card inserted.
OK, I'll try to do that soon both with and without the card detected.

Thank you guys for the support. I'm not sure many of us are concerned, but I'd be happy to get this solved in the distro (vs. ugly local workaround).
What desktop are you running?
gnome ( still uses hal, iirc) and kde are usually pretty good about automounting cards --
unless there is a card reader version, card version conflict/issue.
there are a lot of different card versions and sizes, and a lot of different card readers versions ie: usb1, usb2, usb3, that will read one card and give problems reading another card of a different size/version.
So you have to match the card reader to the card many times.
It's not like you can just expect any card reader to read any card, it just doesn't work that way, even though many think that is how it is, or should be.
Which it should be, but it's not. At least from what I have seen.
As always, YMMV

It helps to know if dmesg shows sde1 ever time you have the issue so it can be narrowed down to an automounting issue.
Which would also most likely be a misconfiguration issue
and most easily fixed by testing different automounting / usb packages, unless you are running gnome or kde.

If you are convinced it is a software bug you need to be much more specific about what you are running and exactly what is going on when the card is[are] not working as expected.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.