Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

The PC doesn't start

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
ismaeltxu

The PC doesn't start

#1 Post by ismaeltxu »

I'm in a hurry. I wanted to start working with Gambas3 to learn easy (basic) programming in Linux and I was trying installing it but I can't get. I read in http://gambas.sourceforge.net/en/main.html this procedure:

If you want to install Gambas 3.5.2, you need to add the jessie repository.
Before doing this best update and upgrade your system first.
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
To add the jessie repository, open sources.list with nano editor.
$ sudo nano -w /etc/apt/sources.list
Add these lines to sources.list :
deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ jessie main
deb-src http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ jessie main
Save the result (<ctrl> + O -> <enter>) and close the sources.list (<ctrl> + X)
Next update the sources and install Gambas 3.5.2:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install gambas3
After installation you will find Gambas 3 installed in menu 'Programming'.

and I tried but now I can't start my computer. When I choose (recovery mode) I can go until terminal but I don't know what can I do to fix the problem.

Can anybody help me?

golinux

Re: The PC doesn't start

#2 Post by golinux »

Jessie is not for beginners. Learn to walk before you try to fly. That would translate to running a STABLE release not testing. Is there an older version of Gambas3 compatible with Wheezy? Is it available in the Wheezy backports repo? If you can't straighten out your system, save your data and reinstall.
May the FORK be with you!

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

golinux wrote:Jessie is not for beginners. Learn to walk before you try to fly. That would translate to running a STABLE release not testing.
Gambas3 is in the Wheezy (stable) repository. There is no need to do gymnastics to get it.

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

ismaeltxu wrote:Can anybody help me?
Yes. You can.

Step 1: Restore from backup or re-install.

Step 2: Promise yourself that you will never-ever, no never, (no... really... never) again execute commands when you don't know for sure exactly what those commands do. Entering the wrong 27 characters can completely hose your install. Bad advice (even well-intentioned bad advice) can be as destructive as any piece of malware.

Step 3: Learn the Wisdom of the Wiki
Debian Wiki wrote:Attempting to "mix" releases, especially by updating your sources.list file, is a sure way to break your system. Recovery in these cases usually involves restore from backup.
(Emphasis added)
Your system is now "stuck" halfway between Stable and Testing. Although it's mechanically possible for you to complete the switch to Testing, as golinux has pointed out, Testing is not "beginner friendly." Stick with Stable

ismaeltxu

#5 Post by ismaeltxu »

Thank you to all.

I'm agree with your words but the only way I know to learn is doing things.

I will try to fix the problem without disturbing anyone since the error is committed by attempting to install things I did not know what they were or where they were taking me. Until now I had always gone well but now I have a system effectively between Testing and Stable but does not.

I'll try to fix, for several reasons:
. - Because I have no backup
. - Because I want to learn
. - For start formatting is much work I did once before.

Thanks to everyone

dasein

#6 Post by dasein »

ismaeltxu wrote:...the only way I know to learn is doing things.
Learning how to learn from the mistakes of others is far more efficient. It's also less painful.
ismaeltxu wrote:Because I have no backup
If you don't fix that, right now, then you're simply setting yourself up for a catastrophe. A backup is like a spare tire. The question is not "will you need it?" Rather, the question is "when will you need it?"

Maybe time to rethink your broader strategy.

(Just sayin')

keithpeter

#7 Post by keithpeter »

ismaeltxu wrote: I'll try to fix, for several reasons:
. - Because I have no backup
. - Because I want to learn
. - For start formatting is much work I did once before.
Thanks to everyone
Backups at binary and at file system level give you the freedom to change/play and break things knowing that you won't lose data and won't have to waste time reinstalling and reconfiguring.

I use rsync for /home/users and clonezilla for the whole hard drive. I use a cheap 500Gb USB hard drive AND a couple of 3.5" 250Mb internal hard drives with a USB caddy. Saved me hours as I play around.

Edit: Dasein beat me to it, but there you have two people saying the same thing independently, must be true :twisted:

confuseling

#8 Post by confuseling »

How fast do you need it to run?

Simple solution: install Stable, install Virtualbox, run Testing as a VM.

Then you can break it (and learn stuff doing it) as much as you like...
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

dasein

#9 Post by dasein »

confuseling wrote:Simple solution: install Stable, install Virtualbox, run Testing as a VM.
+1, with a bullet and a cherry-on-top

These days, it's incomprehensible why anyone would risk a production system in the name of "learning." Set up a playpen in a VM and break it to your heart's content. On the rare occasions I mess with some new distro/respin, I always start with a VM. I also have a VM that duplicates my production install more-or-less exactly, enabling me to assess the impact of any "upgrade" that strikes me as suspicious or otherwise risky.

ismaeltxu

#10 Post by ismaeltxu »

OK, Thak you to every one. With this discussion I learnt very few of Linux (I will never change sources.list) and one bit of philosophie.

The PC is again runnig. I've installed the stable version in a new Hard Disk and copy most of data.

Thanks for your time.

Ismael