Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Microsoft Looses MP3 Lawsuit

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
jml

Microsoft Looses MP3 Lawsuit

#1 Post by jml »

Just read this today at Cnet.

http://news.com.com/FAQ+Behind+Microsof ... =nefd.lede

Microsoft just lost a law suit to Alcatel-Lucent for patent infringement of MP3 technology! The judgement was $1.5 Billion, (that's billion with a B.) I wonder if all those other companies selling MP3 players will now look at Ogg format.

Jor
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

Pobega

#2 Post by Pobega »

$1.5 Billion? I wonder just how hard that is going to hit the company, especially considering the flop of Vista.
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh

DeanLinkous

#3 Post by DeanLinkous »

license-agreements, partnerships and so forth..... I doubt much of that money will truly change hands. They just "won" a partner which is probably what they were after in the first place.

proprietary-games....

They should have a SIM or a TYCOON game simply called Proprietary and it is all about patents, lawsuits, contracts, agreements, and do forth....wouldn't even need people in it since they are just the poor suckers anyway.
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

synux

Re: Microsoft Looses MP3 Lawsuit

#4 Post by synux »

jml wrote:Just read this today at Cnet.

http://news.com.com/FAQ+Behind+Microsof ... =nefd.lede

Microsoft just lost a law suit to Alcatel-Lucent for patent infringement of MP3 technology! The judgement was $1.5 Billion, (that's billion with a B.) I wonder if all those other companies selling MP3 players will now look at Ogg format.

Jor
Yippeee!
Go Bill Go Bill Go Microsoft! Whhoooooaaa!
:shock: :lol: :wink:
Don't dream your life; live your dream!

AgenT

#5 Post by AgenT »

The joys of non-freedom software. Sad really, but at least they went after the biggest proponent of non-freedom software. For anyone who has not yet read it, the Open Letter to Hobbyists is a classic (written in 1976 by Bill Gates). Very appropriate to this discussion and it even shows the real name of Mr. Gates (it is not just "Bill Gates").

michael7

#6 Post by michael7 »

"MP3 Patent Verdict Harmless To Music Fans -- For Now"

"ome experts suggested that the fear of litigation and increased royalties could force companies to adopt other formats for audio files, including open-source technology."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01847.html
Live simply so that others may simply live.
Debian Social Contract

begatelles

#7 Post by begatelles »

AgenT wrote:For anyone who has not yet read it, the Open Letter to Hobbyists is a classic (written in 1976 by Bill Gates).
damn. that letter's pretty scary. he sure did make some money out of his idiotic crap sucking philosophies.

I need to get me an open source project to work on!!!

synux

#8 Post by synux »

begatelles wrote:I need to get me an open source project to work on!!!
How about helping with the development of the Linux kernel or Debian? You could also start learning some programming languages and make your own open-source software :roll: :wink:
Don't dream your life; live your dream!

begatelles

#9 Post by begatelles »

synux wrote:How about helping with the development of the Linux kernel or Debian? You could also start learning some programming languages and make your own open-source software :roll: :wink:
haha. I definitely enjoy reading about the kernel and I like Debian quite a lot. In the long run I definitely will get involved with something. We'll see. There are so many beautiful things to learn and it would definitely be a pleasure. :)