Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Who what editor uses?

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
Blyiss

Who what editor uses?

#1 Post by Blyiss »

Hi, just interesting to know who what html editor prefers. I use gedit. Is emacs nicer then gedit or bluefish? In Windows XP I used pspad, but what html editor is the best for Linux?
One more question.
I tried Internet Explorer from
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2006/05/08 ... for-linux/
It works but doesn't open my local files. Has anybody tried IE for Linux?

DeanLinkous

#2 Post by DeanLinkous »

ie4l is very limited, basically providing browser ability and not much else, maybe you could pass a local page as a switch? I checked it out just for giggles for a few minutes - still sucked! :D

bluefish!!!!!
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

Blyiss

#3 Post by Blyiss »

I mean an "editor" just for editing HTML files. It's a pain to write in HTML from scratch. I use Amaya as a wysiwyg. It is clumsy but there's no other alternative in Linux, is it?. Except NVU, but it is clumsy, too.

Zen-Owl

#4 Post by Zen-Owl »

GEdit, Bluefish and NVU. There is also Quanta Plus which has a QT/KDE interface.
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side, and holds the universe together.

Blyiss

#5 Post by Blyiss »

It's OK. I know all these programs. I am asking about personal preferences. Who what editor likes and why. It is quite impossible to try each program available.

_FOCUS_

#6 Post by _FOCUS_ »

I am learning python. Aditionally working for web some times. İn fact it was upon flash but I comletely removed windows from my pc and yet dont try to install flash on linux.

I am using for python kwrite gedit or boa constructor. I think quanta plus is best for web. There is one html editor too. But it not make tags colored. İt seems like dwaver. But I can't remember its name so its useless.
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it's run over by a car, you don't want it.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#7 Post by Lavene »

I like Quanta Pluss for basic HTML, but my favorite editor for everything else is Kate. I like it's clean yet versatile user interface. So when doing web pages I usually end up laying out the general structure of the pages in Quanta Pluss then moves over to Kate for CSS, PHP and fine-tuning of the HTML.

Personally I don't like WYSIWYG editors because of the often messy code they produce. Doing the HTML by hand takes a few extra minutes but what you gain in control is well worth it.

Tina

begatelles

#8 Post by begatelles »

I use Quanta Plus for html and css. Kate is my favorite editor for everything else too. It has huge functionality, options, feels comfortable and keeps your documents nice and organized on the site too. I want to start using emacs though for programs in C, which I don't write much but that doesn't matter. nano was also adviced to me as a replacement for VI and I've tried it and I think it makes for the perfect terminal editor. As simple and easy as it can be.

Optional

#9 Post by Optional »

I use Kate for pretty much everything. (C, C++, Perl, PHP, XHTML/CSS/Javascript)

The syntax highlighting is acceptable and it doesn't feel sluggish like Quanta or QT Designer.

shoof

#10 Post by shoof »

I use Gedit for everything, it doesn't try to do anything fancy, it's just a text editor, sysntax highlighting works nice and is very configureable, big thing for me is it integrates with gnome-vfs very nicely so I can easily edit files on any machine using ssh.

hcgtv

#11 Post by hcgtv »

I was a big fan of Quanta+ for all my editing needs till I found Komodo.

Komodo is a more polished version of Quanta+, originally based on the same code base and requiring the QT libraries, it's now XUL based, so it happily runs on any Operating System that Firefox runs on.

Komodo IDE is awesome, it's what I use for editing my PHP projects, whether I'm on Windows or Linux. With version 4.0 comes a pricing change, but they've decided to give the edit portion out for free.

IDE: http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_ide/
Edit: http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_edit/
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#12 Post by Scotti »

Lavene wrote:Personally I don't like WYSIWYG editors because of the often messy code they produce. Doing the HTML by hand takes a few extra minutes but what you gain in control is well worth it.
Couldn't agree with you more, Tina.

It seems to me that you just cheat yourself out of an education while using a WYSIWYG editor. Of course, if you dont' really care about learning, the WYSIWYG editor is the way to go.

Personally, I use jEdit ( http://www.jedit.org ). At its most basic state, it's a text editor with syntax highlighting. However, with the addition of plugins, it can be a powerful programming IDE. It supports many languages and even more with syntax highlighting addons. The only dependency is a JRE. The good thing about that though is the cross-platform compatibleness. I get to use jEdit at work, too, in Windows.

Blyiss

#13 Post by Blyiss »

Thank you, guys for your replies. I agree with Tina that wysiwygs tend to mess the code. That's why I don't like NVU. However wysywygs can considerably speed up the process of making a page. The long typing of code strings while manual editing can be replaced with a couple of mouse clicks in wysiwygs. Amaya, which is a wysiwyg and a browser at the same time, is capable to output in a clean XHTML approved by W3C. Though it can mess the code too, but not much. I will try Komodo and I like Quanta+. Kate and Gedit are pretty the same, except that Kate's interface is more neat in comparison to Gedit's. Bluefish is inconvenient in the way that it can't edit more than one document and doesn't have tabs. It opens a new document in a new window that is, in my opinion, a bit inconvenient. It's surprising to discover that nobody uses Emacs. They say that Emacs is refined and free of bugs. That's why it should be extremely fast.
Scotti wrote:Personally, I use jEdit ( http://www.jedit.org ).
Don't you find that jEdit is a bit sluggish? And it would be interesting to know how you solved the problem of printing in jEdit. They say that java doesn't fully support printing. jEdit finds my printer but doesn't print anyway. I tried to change the printer command, but didn't find this option. Do you have any problems of printing in jEdit?
Last edited by Blyiss on 2007-02-17 03:58, edited 2 times in total.

Kyo

#14 Post by Kyo »

I use joe for nearly everything and I'm trying to do something with quanta plus...looks pretty ql to me. :)

Blyiss

#15 Post by Blyiss »

Hi, if somebody is interested, I found a neat instruction how to turn Emacs into a powerful web editor:
http://www.dzr-web.com/people/darren/pr ... cs-webdev/
I will use that. Thanks again to everyone.
I tried that Komodo editor. It doesn't impress. Likely because freeware. Those commercial guys don't care to make software really cool if there is no benefit for them, I guess.

kmoffat

#16 Post by kmoffat »

shoof wrote:I use Gedit....big thing for me is it integrates with gnome-vfs very nicely so I can easily edit files on any machine using ssh.
What is the process? Do you ssh to the machine, then just run "gedit filename"?

EDIT: just tried that; ssh hostname, no -V option, as plain user, then "gedit filename" and up pops gedit on this machine. Nice. Running debian etch and gnome on both machines.

Blyiss

#17 Post by Blyiss »

Hi, I found even a nicer way to use emacs for editing XHTML files:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/NxmlModeForXHTML
An here is the neat script that will download, make and install Emacs 22:

Code: Select all

#! /bin/sh
## Minimal best-practices cross-platform build from current CVS

## install optional support libraries (especially for fuller image support)

## icons installed separately?

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
cd emacs

./configure
make bootstrap

make
make install

## suggest help URLs or packages
## code to dump?

[/code]

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#18 Post by Scotti »

Blyiss wrote:
Scotti wrote:Personally, I use jEdit ( http://www.jedit.org ).
Don't you find that jEdit is a bit sluggish? And it would be interesting to know how you solved the problem of printing in jEdit. They say that java doesn't fully support printing. jEdit finds my printer but doesn't print anyway. I tried to change the printer command, but didn't find this option. Do you have any problems of printing in jEdit?
When I first started using jEdit, many years ago, it was a little slugish. If you have some "style" plugins loaded it will be even slower. It will be slow on older machines, too, as Java itself is slow at times.

As for printing, I don't own a printer, so I've never attempted to print from jEdit. If I do need something printed (which is rare) I print from my Dad's computer or do it at work.

Zen-Owl

#19 Post by Zen-Owl »

Blyiss wrote:It's OK. I know all these programs. I am asking about personal preferences. Who what editor likes and why. It is quite impossible to try each program available.
Oh, I see, in that case, then I chose KATE.

Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side, and holds the universe together.

njkt

#20 Post by njkt »

Vi or Vim for syntax highlighting :twisted: