Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Steam, missing libGL.so.1

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Serenity

Steam, missing libGL.so.1

#1 Post by Serenity »

This is a rather persistent problem but I've been waiting for new libgl1-mesa packages from unstable to come through to testing to see if it went away. I've installed them, rebooted, and the problem persists so now I'm finally asking.

I've installed Steam on a AMD64 system through multi-arch with no difficulties, but it refuses to start. Any time I try it complains about a missing libGL1.so.1 32-bit library then says it failed to load steamui.so, here's the terminal output of steam:

Code: Select all

rm: cannot remove `/home/rhapsody/.steam/steam': Is a directory
rm: cannot remove `/home/rhapsody/.steam/bin': Is a directory
Running Steam on debian  64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Error: You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run:
libGL.so.1
[2013-07-11 16:49:18] Startup - updater built Jun  6 2013 13:48:29
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1370553818_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1370553818_client)
[2013-07-11 16:49:18] Verifying installation...
[2013-07-11 16:49:18] Verification complete
[2013-07-11 16:49:21] Shutdown
I've looked online and found numerous other people with this problem, the usual solution being to create a new symlink so Steam can see the libGL1.so.1 file it wants, the problem for me is that can't work because I don't seem to have a 32-bit libGL1.so.1 file on my system. The output of ldconfig -p | grep libGL1.so.1 goes as follows:

libGL.so.1 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1
That's it. I have libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 (I couldn't have installed steam otherwise) but it doesn't seem to have given me the necessary files to run Steam. I even installed the Debian experimental versions of the nvidia drivers (I use a GeForce 8800GT) figuring Steam may require newer drivers (they updated today too) but with no luck. So I'm finally asking here in the hopes that someone can figure out where I'm supposed to go from here.

Additionally, this may have nothing to do with the problem but the following appeared during my recent upgrade of the libgl1-mesa packages:

Processing triggers for glx-alternative-mesa ...
update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/lib/mesa-diverted because link group libGL.so-master is broken
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so because associated file /usr/lib/mesa-diverted/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so (of link group libGL.so-master) doesn't exist
Whatever that it, it doesn't look good and I figured it may give some insight into what's going on here.

silb

Re: Steam, missing libGL.so.1

#2 Post by silb »

The Nvidia accelerated 32 bit OpenGL implementation is provided by libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386. Have you installed it?

You might also be having some troubles with the diversion of the OpenGL libraries. Through the diversion, you can choose between Mesa and Nvidia as alternative implementations.

The instructions in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-driver/README.alternatives explains how to ensure that the Nvidia alternative is selected.

Serenity

#3 Post by Serenity »

Derp. Yes, that package turned out to be exactly what my system needed, Steam now runs without any problems. I'll also be taking a look at that readme, but for now all seems well again. Thanks.

vayu_love

#4 Post by vayu_love »

silb wrote:The Nvidia accelerated 32 bit OpenGL implementation is provided by libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386. Have you installed it?
Installing this package worked for me, thanks.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

Well this got me a bit further than previously, but the packages to remove looks dangerous so I cancelled. :(
64 bit sid. I don't want to remove the Nvidia driver!

apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Recommended packages:
  libxvmcnvidia1:i386
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libgl1-nvidia-glx nvidia-driver nvidia-glx xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

silb

#6 Post by silb »

You should be able to install both libgl1-nvidia-glx:amd64 and libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386.

Have you added multiarch? See https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO

If I remember correctly, you have to run the command

dpkg --add-architecture i386
Then you should be able to install both versions of the libgl1 package.

Chris82362

#7 Post by Chris82362 »

The multi-arch package will probably fix this for you, but if you're still having trouble you can try Steam-Wheezy, basically a steam installer one person built to bypass things like jockey-common etc. Googling steam-wheezy brought me to his download page. I can confirm it works in Jessie.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

silb wrote:You should be able to install both libgl1-nvidia-glx:amd64 and libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386.

Have you added multiarch?
Yes, multiarch enabled. I think it's due to version mismatch as I'm running driver from experimental, and apt wants to install stock libgl1. I'll sort it out soon!

At least the OP got his steam working. :)
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

yzT

#9 Post by yzT »

I had used Steam on Linux when DotA 2 was released for a couple of weeks. Then I removed it. Now I want to install it back, but I'm having this same issue but I use a ATI card.

edit: nevermind, fixed.. I was missing libgl1-fglrx-glx:i386, don't know why it didn't install that as a dependency.

cpkiller

#10 Post by cpkiller »

yzT wrote:I had used Steam on Linux when DotA 2 was released for a couple of weeks. Then I removed it. Now I want to install it back, but I'm having this same issue but I use a ATI card.

edit: nevermind, fixed.. I was missing libgl1-fglrx-glx:i386, don't know why it didn't install that as a dependency.
Thank you very much, because of your post I had to look no further! :D I can confirm that this works for AMD/ATI cards!

theonetruedark

#11 Post by theonetruedark »

Thanks. This also got my Steam running again.

I'm most grateful for the assistance.

ingo

#12 Post by ingo »

Hm, so steam users have to use nvidia? Nouveau users have no chance? Shame that but the coming winter will be long...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by sunrat »

ingo wrote:Hm, so steam users have to use nvidia? Nouveau users have no chance? Shame that but the coming winter will be long...
Try it with libgl1-mesa-glx.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

ingo

#14 Post by ingo »

Cheers sunrat, but gut that already installed and still keep getting the same error message.

I finally switched over to nvidia once again and steam runs without probs - brrrh...

Ada29!

#15 Post by Ada29! »

We're sorry, the NVIDIA Smart Scan does not support your system at this time. What does it mean?
Ada

ingo

#16 Post by ingo »

Sounds like the wrong NVIDIA package. Google is your friend as is

lspci -k

stevepusser

#17 Post by stevepusser »

Ada29! wrote:We're sorry, the NVIDIA Smart Scan does not support your system at this time. What does it mean?
It means that you and other Debian users are not not running Windows. You seem to be confused about this, judging by your other post, or you are a spammer.
MX Linux packager and developer

ingo

#18 Post by ingo »

stevepusser wrote:
Ada29! wrote:We're sorry, the NVIDIA Smart Scan does not support your system at this time. What does it mean?
It means that you and other Debian users are not not running Windows. You seem to be confused about this, judging by your other post, or you are a spammer.
He is either clueless or a vamp, but your post is less than helpful.

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

ingo wrote:
stevepusser wrote:
He is either clueless or a vamp, but your post is less than helpful.
Well, yes, but maybe a bit more than the other post:
Two things to try:

1) change your cursor (type "cursor" into the Start Menu or find the Mouse Properties in the Control Panel)

2) Install or reinstall the recommended drivers for your mouse

Other:
- download, update and run Malwarebytes (free version) and Spybod search & destroy
So I wondered if the poster really knew these were Debian forums.
MX Linux packager and developer

ingo

#20 Post by ingo »

I'm sorry, Stevepusser. I hadn't noticed his other post and you're probably right :lol: