Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Signature - Size not working?

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
emarkay

Signature - Size not working?

#1 Post by emarkay »

There's 1004 posts with the word "Signature". Without going through them all, does anyone know why the size feature of the Signatures is not working?
I would like the below to be small or even tiny... :)
Thanks!
Ubuntu 14.04.x & Windows XP-SP3, Dell Precision 390, Pentium D 3.40G, 4G RAM, NVIDIA GT360, 2M VRAM
Ubuntu 12.04.x Dell Dimension E520, Pentium D 2.80G, 3G RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT, 1M VRAM
Debian Jessie on EeePc 1005HAB

mardybear

Re: Signature - Size not working?

#2 Post by mardybear »

Ubuntu 12.04.x LTS & Windows XP-SP3 (for MS FlightSim only)
Dell Precision 390, Pentium D 3.40G, 4G RAM, NVIDIA GT360, 2M VRAM (Main)
Dell Dimension E520, Pentium D 2.80G, 3G RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT, 1M VRAM
Now: Jessie on an EeePc 1005HAB
Are you referring to this? Log into the forum, select user control panel, profile, edit signature, from the dropdown box change 'normal' to 'tiny' or 'small'. If you don't see the dropdown then you might be script-blocking.

Edit:
State your full name, occupation and purpose.
Is there a spam hunter in the house.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

emarkay

#3 Post by emarkay »

Ubuntu 12.04.x LTS & Windows XP-SP3

and

Ubuntu 12.04.x LTS & Windows XP-SP3

Display of the text is the same; the "size=50" "/size" (as added to the first entry only) is ignored.

Thanks.
MRK

saulgoode

#4 Post by saulgoode »

Do BBCodes other than Font size behave as expected? Check whether BBCode is enabled for your signature.

Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan

emarkay

#5 Post by emarkay »

Enabled and nothing checked, see attachment - OK, well for whatever reason on my first upload I get "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." :(
Also, this is the: Dell Precision 390, Pentium D 3.40G, 4G RAM, NVIDIA GT360, 2M VRAM
Ubuntu 14.04.x & Windows XP-SP3, Dell Precision 390, Pentium D 3.40G, 4G RAM, NVIDIA GT360, 2M VRAM
Ubuntu 12.04.x Dell Dimension E520, Pentium D 2.80G, 3G RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT, 1M VRAM

mardybear

#6 Post by mardybear »

Check what saulgoode said but also...you need to ensure your text is wrapped in the font size tag. Same with saulgoode's example, you need to select all the text of your signature and then select the font size.

Code: Select all

[size=85]Daily use: 800MHz celeron, 512MB RAM, 32MB onboard graphics, modern linux, openbox, noscript browser add-on. The majority of the world doesn't have computer access...reuse or pay forward an old computer today.[/size]
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.

emarkay

#7 Post by emarkay »

Still can't upload the attachment - but it is; here's the beginning and ending lines:
[size=50][i][color=#FF00FF]... | ...[/color][/i][/size]
BBCode disabled here for the above post...

mardybear

#8 Post by mardybear »

Sorry don't know what else to try...looks like a job for the forum administrator....maybe some type of account bug.

emarkay

#9 Post by emarkay »

I noted at work in Win7 using IE (AAARRRGGGH!!!!), it displays correctly; near-microscopic. Is this maybe a Firefox/Iceweassel issue, or (GASP!) a Linux problem? :) ?

dasein

#10 Post by dasein »

emarkay wrote:Is this maybe a Firefox/Iceweassel issue, or (GASP!) a Linux problem? :) ?
It's PEBKAC. Your signature is illegibly small in Firefox on Wheezy (Chromium, too).

(Though I confess I'm not sure why anyone would spend a lot of time thinking about how to make written words impossible to read... but that's probably just me.)

Randicus

#11 Post by Randicus »

I must agree with dasein on this issue. What is the purpose of a signature that is too small to read? Does that not defeat the purpose? I thought a signature is meant to be read. I might be wrong, but I also assume the purpose of a signature is to convey something of the poster's personality to other members. Hence the term signature. (A signature is different than writing or printing one's name. It is a unique rendering of a person's name to identify that the signature was made by that person and not someone else. Although colourful and illegible is unique and does convey something of the poster's personality.)

Calin Roman

#12 Post by Calin Roman »

To me, good forms of life are sacred, trees are my temples and forests are my cathedrals.

GarryRicketson

#13 Post by GarryRicketson »

mardybear wrote:
State your full name, occupation and purpose.
Is there a spam hunter in the house.
The text in the OPs signature appears extremely tiny to me,
What is the purpose of a signature that is too small to read?
I wonder the same, some times spammers try to do some really weird things, like
posting a image so tiny it can not be viewed, then when people click it, thinking that will take them to a "full size" image , it takes them to the "spam site",..
But any way, the OP can look at this;
http://www.bbcode.org/reference.php
But note, especially what it says here:
Some are considered to be standard and should be supported in just about any bbcode implementation. Other are less likely to be supported, but nonetheless popular (hence the reason they've been included here).
I tried using bbcode to re-size images in a image link, once, and never could get it to work, so I do not think that is supported or "implemented"
The only solution I can think of:
using image magick,
( I do not know if or how other image editors work, so can not explain ,for example if gimp is used, and this kind of thing may not be possible with other image editors)
Simply, open the text in the editor, using export or convert, convert it to a image format,
IE:, .gif or .png after the text has been saved as a image file, re size the image, reduce it to as tiny as you want,..then upload it to your favorite image storage site, use the image link option, putting in your signature file.
In the First post, the OP makes, the signature is all ready so small it can not be read, by me even with my glasses, so I fail to understand why the OP wants to make it even smaller. " What is the purpose of a signature that is to small to read ? " Really, if you don't want people to see it, just remove it.

GarryRicketson

#14 Post by GarryRicketson »

emarkay wrote:I noted at work in Win7 using IE (AAARRRGGGH!!!!), it displays correctly; near-microscopic. Is this maybe a Firefox/Iceweassel issue, or (GASP!) a Linux problem? :) ?
I am not sure what the OP is trying to say here, the signature displayed is to small to read, all I use is debian (linux), so no, it is not a "linux" problem.

But if the OP thinks it is a problem with his linux installation, then the problem should be addressed in the general discussion.
As far as the forum software, (PHPbbs) it works just fine, see the examples below.
The font size works just fine, and there is no real need to even use a file attachment for a signature, that is too small to read
------------------------------

[size=50]The font size works just fine, and there is no real need to even use a file attachment for a signature, that is too small to read [/size] 
#If one really wants it smaller 
[size=25]The font size works just fine, and there is no real need to even use a file attachment for a signature, that is too small to read [/size] 
Then use 25 instead of 50 for the font size

The font size works just fine, and there is no real need to even use a file attachment for a signature, that is too small to read
Also in my previous post, there is a link to a site that explains more on using BBC code,
It would be easier, and better to not try to use the attachment option, the file you attach would have be definitely correctly written, in order for it to display correctly,..just writing your signature text , in the user profile, with the correct BBC code, there are limits to how long the text can be, but also it is easy to edit, and change the bbc code, if it does not display like you want. There is even a "preview" button, so you can check it before you actually save it.
Hope fully this solves the problem, if it does, please edit the subject in the original post, and mark it as solved. .

GarryRicketson

#15 Post by GarryRicketson »

emarkay wrote:Still can't upload the attachment - but it is; here's the beginning and ending lines:
... | ...
BBCode disabled here for the above post...
You do not need to disable the BBC code, I got confuse by this post, so I thought the OP was trying to put the signature in , using the "file attachment", and that is not a option for the signatures.
But anyway, if you disable the BBC code, then it causes more problems for you,..because then you can not use the BBCcode,
A small amount of code, does not need to be uploaded as a attached file, and can not be attached any way.
See this: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=123831
A example here:,
This

[size=50][i][color=#FF00FF]... | ...[/color][/i][/size]
should have been in code boxes, you use the bbc code to do that, disabling it, renders all those features useless.
There is a FAQ, here: http://forums.debian.net/faq.php
In the FAQ, it goes into things about the signature file, and also a little about BBC code, but not much, on that,..For details on that
http://www.bbcode.org/reference.php
One last note, when you edit the signature file, the changes might not show in your browser, until you do a "refresh", so this could cause some confusion, and make it appear the changes did not work, that is a browser thing. It is not really any defect, or bug, it is just the way it is, I have found on some browsers, it may take a few times , doing the refresh, in order to clear the cache. The browser is displaying it the way it had been, before you changed it.