Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[XFCE] File opening & volume broken

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
awishformore

[XFCE] File opening & volume broken

#1 Post by awishformore »

I recently had a stupid incident where I put the -t testing with my apt-get dist-upgrade because I was absent-minded. My installation was quite broken afterwards, but I managed to fix most things and I'm back to a working system that starts into XFCE again.

However, in XFCE, there are two annoying bugs that I can't find a solution to by searching Google or these boards.

1) Files won't open from any program except for the normal file browser or console. If I click a downloaded file from Chromium, it works for a bit, and then nothing happens. If I want to open a file in transmission, same thing.

2) The volume level is reset to zero on each reboot. I have pulseaudio installed without ALSA, and I tried reinstalling, without success. On each reboot, I have to move the volume back up in the notification tray.

If anyone has any pointers on where to find solutions, I'd appreciate. I don't know the internals of Linux GUI interfaces well enough to know which components could cause this.

edbarx

Re: [XFCE] File opening & volume broken

#2 Post by edbarx »

In circumstances as yours, the most time efficient way, is to reinstall. Other than that, I will be misguiding you.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

awishformore

#3 Post by awishformore »

edbarx wrote:In circumstances as yours, the most time efficient way, is to reinstall. Other than that, I will be misguiding you.
Excuse me, but I have a fully working system, except for those two little (yet annoying) things, why would you recommend installing everything from scratch?

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to behind-the-scenes things in XFCE, but I would venture a guess that at least the file opening issue would be linked to a very specific component?

That does not seem very time efficient to me.

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

awishformore wrote:That does not seem very time efficient to me.
Then perhaps it's worth re-examining your definition of time efficiency.

This is a one-time, one-off, PEBKAC issue that can be prevented by following a simple heuristic ("Don't mix repos"). I'd venture a guess that the time you've already spent fighting this problem is measured in hours, not minutes. The fact that your system is not fully functional says that the problem is not yet actually fixed, despite all your efforts. But now you want others to devote their time to fighting the problem some more.

And this approach strikes you as "time efficient" somehow. That's very interesting.

To the extent that you are determined to continue to fight the problem, try file associations xfce as a query at your favorite search engine. But remind yourself that the mere fact that your system doesn't spontaneously combust does not mean that everything is running the way it should. Don't be at all surprised if you begin to encounter subtle, seemingly inexplicable problems that seem to pop up at "random."

In the interests of genuine time efficiency, be sure to include the fact that you tried to manually revert a borked dist-upgrade to Testing on every single question you may post about these "random" problems. Because they most assuredly aren't random.

awishformore

#5 Post by awishformore »

After doing some more research, I fixed the file opening issue by simply reinstalling the xdg-utils package.

Thanks for your help. Not.