Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Getting libc6 package version 2.15 or newer

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
FuzzyToothpaste

Getting libc6 package version 2.15 or newer

#1 Post by FuzzyToothpaste »

I know that if you have libnss3 that is equal to or greater than 3.16.3 that you can watch Netflix natively on a GNU/Linux computer. I've done it with Ubuntu. You just need to spoof the user agent because Netflix won't support the GNU/Linux user agents until they think enough GNU/Linux machines have it. Anyway, I need this package so I can watch Netflix. The version I need is not in the Debian Wheezy repos or the backports. The only versions of Debian that have it are Jessie and Sid, the testing and experimental versions. I really need this version. I don't want to dual-boot into Windows to watch Netflix! Please, is there any way I can get this version of this package on Debian 7.6?
Last edited by FuzzyToothpaste on 2014-10-14 01:34, edited 1 time in total.

FuzzyToothpaste

Re: Getting libnss3 package version 3.16.3 or newer

#2 Post by FuzzyToothpaste »

I think I was able to download some of the packages online and I should be able to install them with dpkg, but I'm not sure if it will be able to fix dependencies. For anyone else having trouble, go to https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8MFus ... ZNY2M/edit for 32-bit or https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8MFus ... Nxd0U/edit for 64-bit. Install the packages with dpkg -i and use Google Chrome to watch after spoofing the user agent to Windows.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

They've been backported to a Wheezy-base for MEPIS 12 and will work on Wheezy__

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1UMhs ... sp=sharing

most backports aren't rocket science, and can be done in a few simple steps yourself without breaking your syst*********************dks;cds;cdsdsm
MX Linux packager and developer

FuzzyToothpaste

#4 Post by FuzzyToothpaste »

Thank you sir. I installed that backport and it works great. Shockingly, the packages I thought would work (I posted the link) don't work on Wheezy. The only OS I've ever used them on was Ubuntu 14.04, but in September the update got put in the repos. Anyway, I still can't watch Netflix because of some error I'm getting related to somethign called the Widevine Component or something. However, that is a problem with Google Chrome and is unrelated (I think) with libnss3.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

I see that, but it does not seem to be shipped with this version of Chrome, at least I can't find it listed with other outside components. I think I remember seeing it in a earlier version of Chrome, so will need to do some research.

Edit: I can find the related files:

/opt/google/chrome/libwidevinecdm.so
/opt/google/chrome/libwidevinecdmadapter.so

so need more research...

According to the Widevine download page, it's MS Windows only--so more research!
Yet we have Linux libraries named the same thing--so maybe it's built in?

FuzzyToothpaste

#6 Post by FuzzyToothpaste »

I never had this problem on Ubuntu. then again, I used Chrome 37 and I now have Chrome 38. Just yesterday I watched Netflix and it went smoothly under Ubuntu. I updated libnss3 (which wasn't needed because the Netflix devs asked the Ubuntu devs to update libnss3), spoof the user agent (which we won't need to do for much longer), and it worked. I just don't understand! I didn't even get Chrome out of the repos, I went straight to Google's web site and downloaded the 64-bit .deb! Are there any other threads on the forum about this problem? Maybe I can find a solution with a little Googling.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Tracked it down to this on 64-bit:

Code: Select all

ldd /opt/google/chrome-beta/libwidevinecdm.so

/opt/google/chrome-beta/libwidevinecdm.so: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /opt/google/chrome-beta/libwidevinecdm.so)
GLIBC is libc6, and Wheezy only has 2.13. Ubuntu's is 2.14 or greater, as is Jessie's. This was the same issue that Chrome had for 64-bit Pepperflash, so maybe this is left over from that build. but it's still depressing that Google (or whoever's compiling those closed source libraries) is not building the Wheezy packages on a Wheezy base.

I'll test the 32-bit libraries....No error message from that library, so hopefully that'll still be good when they get that running.

FuzzyToothpaste

#8 Post by FuzzyToothpaste »

Debian Wheezy needs a new version of libc6 very badly! Like you said, Pepper Flash requires it (somehow I have Pepper Flash on my computer right now without having it, but Pepper Flash doesn't work and keeps crashing. And to think I was about to make another thread on this forum about Flash crashing.) Also, without a newer verison, I can't install Steam either. I have yet to figure out how to get Steam to install. I've checked the backports, but they don't have a newer version, but Debian Jessie and Sid have 2.19! I should have installed Jessie. Maybe then I wouldn't have as many dependency problems as I do now. Whatever. I'll change the title to accompany that we are now looking for a newer version of libc6, rather than what I originally made this thread for, which is libnss3.

FuzzyToothpaste

#9 Post by FuzzyToothpaste »

That code you posted, ldd /opt/google/chrome-beta/libwidevinecdm.so, is only relevant if you have the Chrome beta. I've got Chrome 38 stable, and if you replace chrome-beta with chrome, that file DOES exist. I ran the command and it says

GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /opt/google/chrome/libwidevinecdm.so)
meaning that we need to get 2.15 and not 2.14. That makes things even harder. I think I'll go to packages.ubuntu.com and download the package, see if I can get it to work.

FuzzyToothpaste

Re: Getting libc6 package version 2.15 or newer

#10 Post by FuzzyToothpaste »

I installed an Ubuntu libc6 package and it messed up my computer. I went to packages.debian.org and downloaded the libc6 2.13 that came with Debian. I'm not sure how to explain this but how do I remove a newer version of a package and install the older one at the same time? Does apt have some kind of reinstall option? You know how when you get a newer version of a package and go to install it, it removes the older package without removing the packages that depend on it because a newer version is about to get installed? I'm trying to do just that but switch new with old. How would I do that?
Last edited by FuzzyToothpaste on 2014-10-14 02:10, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Post by sunrat »

Installing a later version of core system files like libc6 is a sure way to wreck your system. There are many threads here from people who have tried and failed, usually trying to install Steam. Search those threads, it may be possible to fix but most just recover their system backup or reinstall.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

Someone has managed to get Steam working well on Wheezy, and quite safely, by "sandboxing" the libc6 2.15 and other Ubuntu libraries. A little bit of of searching on these forums would have turned it up, since we answer the question every other day.

https://github.com/GhostSquad57/Steam-I ... for-Wheezy

The correct way to get Netflix on Chrome is for Google to shape up and provide proper packages, but they may not put a priority on Wheezy since there are no officially backported libnss3 packages. I did manage to rebuild the Ubuntu libc6 2.15 against Wheezy libraries, but that ended up breaking some other important libraries such as policykit--but I did that dangerous test install in a virtual machine with the previous state preserved in a snapshot, so reverting to that state took a few seconds.

We do have Netflix-desktop ported over to the Wheezy-based MEPIS 12 and MX 14 community repositories. Though the articles deride the older method as complicated, it's actually very easy to get going on MX, and I imagine adding the correct repositories to Wheezy would end up making it also easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFGm6U0j_oQ

We have since rewritten the metapackage installer as "MX Packageinstaller", since we could not find the source code for the metapackageinstaller from aptosid.

FuzzyToothpaste

#13 Post by FuzzyToothpaste »

I am stuck with libc6 2.19 (Ubuntu package) on my system. Although my system has broken packages, I'm able to watch Netflix. Sort of. There's no sound. It's a hardware problem. Anyway, I've decided that I'm just going to stop using Debian and look for another GNU/Linux distro to use. I'll probably just use Ubuntu again, but I'll try to look for some other distros. Goodbye Debian forum. I now realize that I am not an advanced enough user to run Debian, with me just struggling to get my applications installed. I've been spending all day sitting in front of this computer trying to make it work! It's not like it works very well with my hardware anyway. brightness won't work, sound won't work, I'm just quitting. So goodbye.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Bye.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

stevepusser

#15 Post by stevepusser »

I did follow the SteamOS example and managed to backport libc6 2.17-95 onto wheezy, then did a test install onto a virtual machine (32-bit) Found one conflict so far, the newer libp11-kit0 package in wheezy-backports, but a rebuild made that one compatible.

Then, after a test reboot of the VM, started up Chrome stable and was able to watch Netflix.

If we put this in a MEPIS CR repository, it will be in its own experimental repo, and users will upgrade at their own risk. I won't be building packages against the newer libc6-dev, which would force people to use it.

Basically it would be for the Chrome Netflix, Steam users, Google Earth 7, and whatever else comes up in the future.

stevepusser

#16 Post by stevepusser »

And I found a possible method for those that have borked their system with upstream libc6 libraries, as in this thread, at least I was able to successfully revert to the stock Wheezy libraries in my VM using this procedure:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's also possible to downgrade back to the Wheezy versions using dpkg and aptitude, first remove libc6-dev if installed without removing everything it depends on:

su -c 'dpkg -r --force-depends libc6-dev'
and then make sure the newer libc6 is not available in a repo to the system, so the only available version of libc6-dev is the Wheezy version, and use aptitude:

su -c 'aptitude install libc6-dev'
In my case, the first seventeen or eighteen solutions wanted to remove ~570 important packages, so I kept hitting "n" until I got the solution that only downgraded the libc6 packages:

576)     libc-dev-bin [2.17-97mcr120+1 (now) -> 2.13-38+deb7u4 (stable)]
577)     libc6 [2.17-97mcr120+1 (now) -> 2.13-38+deb7u4 (stable)]       

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Downgrade the following packages:                                                 
1)     libc-bin [2.17-97mcr120+1 (now) -> 2.13-38+deb7u4 (stable)]                     
2)     libc-dev-bin [2.17-97mcr120+1 (now) -> 2.13-38+deb7u4 (stable)]                 
3)     libc6 [2.17-97mcr120+1 (now) -> 2.13-38+deb7u4 (stable)]                        
4)     libc6-i686 [2.17-97mcr120+1 (now) -> 2.13-38+deb7u4 (stable)]                   
5)     libp11-kit-dev [1:0.20.3-2mcr120+1 (now) -> 0.20.3-2~bpo70+1 (wheezy-backports)]
6)     libp11-kit0 [1:0.20.3-2mcr120+1 (now) -> 0.20.3-2~bpo70+1 (wheezy-backports)]   
7)     locales [2.17-97mcr120+1 (now) -> 2.13-38+deb7u4 (stable)]                      
8)     nscd [2.17-97mcr120+1 (now) -> 2.13-38+deb7u4 (stable)]                         

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] y
The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
  libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc6 libc6-i686 libp11-kit-dev libp11-kit0 locales nscd 
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libc6-dev 

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Post by sunrat »

Nice work Steve on porting libc6 and the solution for borkage! I'm sure they will be very popular.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#18 Post by stevepusser »

It should also get Viber working, and I tested Google Earth 7, the one you currently download directly from Google and has the nice smooth fonts but also needs libc6 >= 2.14, in a Virtual Box (64-bit) VM, and it worked fine, after complaining the screen size was cramping its style.

We have an experimental repo for those willing to risk it all (or are backed up, or can install something quick in a VM):

deb http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/experimental/ experimental test
The repo is currently unsigned, so you'll get security warnings about that. The repo currently has only the newer libc6 packages for i386 and amd64 platforms, plus the same for libp11-kit packages to overcome backports'
incompatible version.

You may have to specify the release name with "-t mepis" or the exact version as in

apt-get install libc6=2.17-97mcr120+1  
to get the command-line tools to upgrade. Any comments or problems are welcome in this thread, except complaints that you lost data, since you were warned.

You could also try the Steam OS repositories if you have not upgraded libp11-kit0 from wheezy-backports, and just upgrade the libc6 libraries from there.