Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

operating systems without systemd

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
mmix

Re: operating systems without systemd

#21 Post by mmix »

musl libc based linux distros maybe don't come with systemd/uselessd.
http://wiki.musl-libc.org/wiki/Projects_using_musl

fruitofloom

#22 Post by fruitofloom »

pcalvert wrote:
fruitofloom wrote: What i can say about putty is that it ran on pretty any hardware i tried (where other distros failed. antiX always was quite reliable too). I never used it for something serious though.
You spelled it wrong. It's not "Putty" but "Puppy" (puppy = kleiner Hund).

Phil
Ups. Must be getting old ... :-) Thanks.

Linadian: Well, i am sad too. Really sad. I didn't do that in a hurry. But systemd seems to be against anything i could say bout GNU/Linux or, if you want, *NIX, from the top of my head: KISS, do one, do it well, etc. Also seems to be against anything i could say about Debian: rather conservative, quality over hipness, trust, we don't hide problems, users interests first, etc.

I created a section "other". I hope i didn't miss anything, for sure not by purpose (so a quick note, and i will add it).
Is Solaris a candidate for the section other? To me it seems it gets "mentioned" often, but i got no idea if it is "used" by more than just a few.
I for one don't mind it has it's own section or is listed under "other", but don't wanna "hurt feelings" :-).
Give me convenience or give me death.

roseway

#23 Post by roseway »

I've been using Linux for 15 years, and Debian for 7 years, but I think I'll probably be voting with my feet. I've got a PC-BSD system up and running (it's a quick way to get FreeBSD with a fully configured desktop) and it does everything I want in a smooth and competent manner. I'm using it now, and I think I'll continue to use it.
Eric

alderaan

#24 Post by alderaan »

pcalvert wrote: However, it is not a "normal" distro -- in Puppy you are always root. Personally, I'd use it as a live CD only.

Phil
FWIW it is only a matter of a few seconds to fix that: create new user, logout from root, login as new user. I think that there are a few puppy variants/derivatives/flavours (aka puplets) that have done that already so it is OK out of the box. Also there is always the posibility to install it in an HD either frugally or completely normally.

mmix

#25 Post by mmix »

last time i used slitaz linux, there is no systemd/uselessd.
http://www.slitaz.org/en/

Linadian

#26 Post by Linadian »

Check out this post for a link to main systemd developer Lennart Poettering's rant quotes about us and Linus Torvalds (duplicate posts are not allowed).
Linux Registered User 533946

Linadian

#27 Post by Linadian »

This is really neat, Porteus' build your own ISO page. Supposedly it's based on Slackware and has NO virusd. Select your preferences then click build at the bottom, it supplies a link to your custom ISO. :mrgreen:

Edit: I installed a 'custom' Porteus ISO with Unetbootin on to a USB stick, it worked but typically I had to shut off USB 3.0 (VIA chip controlled) and turn IOMMU on. There is a thread about this (and solution), even for Debian.

pcalvert

#28 Post by pcalvert »

Linadian wrote:This is really neat, Porteus' build your own ISO page. Supposedly it's based on Slackware and has NO virusd.
I was just about to mention Porteus. Porteus is based on Slax, which is based on Slackware.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

Linadian

#29 Post by Linadian »

pcalvert wrote:
Linadian wrote:This is really neat, Porteus' build your own ISO page. Supposedly it's based on Slackware and has NO virusd.
I was just about to mention Porteus. Porteus is based on Slax, which is based on Slackware.

Phil
Am fooling around with Porteus on a USB stick (MBR partition/ext4 formatted), used the Porteus install method to USB stick, it's better, saves all your changes. It's a blast except I'm still trying to figure out/grasp the whole app 'module' concept and 'installation' procedure. Adding it to my list of alternatives (PC-BSD and Porteus so far) for when Debian jumps off the Poettering/Redshat cliff with the rest of the gullible lemmings. :twisted:

Edit: Salix Xfce is looking good too, added to my non-virusd alternatives list.

Edit 2: Just messing around with Salix Xfce Live 14.1rc1 on a USB stick, installed from the ISO to the stick with unetbootin in Debian no problem, make sure you have syslinux and extlinux installed first, unetbootin cried for them earlier. Check out my octa-core in htop, what a scream. Just a heads up, if you start gslapt from the menu from user 'one' (Salix live default user), the pw is "one", NOT blank and NOT "live", took me a while to find that out, ack.

Edit: Removed some offensive language.
Last edited by Linadian on 2014-11-09 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

edbarx

#30 Post by edbarx »

An interesting question related to this thread would be:
Which OSs use apt and which ones have built-in package dependency resolution?

I know of Slackware, but it doesn't have built-in package resolution. It also unduly installs about 8 Giga Bytes as default to make up for its lack of dependency resolution.

I found bypassing ISOs by using programs like debootstrap very attractive to my requirements. I also need an OS that supports chroot maintenance from within another OS. chroot should also be provided by the candidate distribution.

The last requirement is to have binary packages available as compiling everything on a P4 or a T4400 machine looks quite daunting.

Till now, I haven't decided using something else in place of Debian, as Debian offers a huge repository of software, and I want to have development tools available like gcc, g++, lazarus , medit, and obviously the accompanying development libraries - hopefully I didn't forget anything important.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

harrycaul

#31 Post by harrycaul »

Linadian wrote: Salix Xfce is looking good too, added to my non-virusd alternatives list.
+1 for Salix Xfce here. I also like their Sourcery GUI for slapt-src.

fleabus

#32 Post by fleabus »

harrycaul wrote:+1 for Salix Xfce here. I also like their Sourcery GUI for slapt-src.
Been using Salix myself since August or so. I had installed Slackware a few times and began exploring their documentation, then discovered Salix -- since I cut my teeth on Debian, its dependency resolution made sense. Also using the Xfce version. spi is nice, checks for both binary packages and available slackbuilds.
Lenovo Legion 5-15IMH05 32GB Ram, 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD

bettylou

#33 Post by bettylou »

You can add Kali Linux to the list.

fruitofloom

#34 Post by fruitofloom »

I added Salix and Slitaz.
Thanks.

fruitofloom

#35 Post by fruitofloom »

edbarx wrote:An interesting question related to this thread would be:
Which OSs use apt and which ones have built-in package dependency resolution?

I know of Slackware, but it doesn't have built-in package resolution. It also unduly installs about 8 Giga Bytes as default to make up for its lack of dependency resolution.

I found bypassing ISOs by using programs like debootstrap very attractive to my requirements. I also need an OS that supports chroot maintenance from within another OS. chroot should also be provided by the candidate distribution.

The last requirement is to have binary packages available as compiling everything on a P4 or a T4400 machine looks quite daunting.

Till now, I haven't decided using something else in place of Debian, as Debian offers a huge repository of software, and I want to have development tools available like gcc, g++, lazarus , medit, and obviously the accompanying development libraries - hopefully I didn't forget anything important.
Are your seriously asking if there are distros out there without a C or C++ compiler?
Well: or even an OS ...

Something similar can be said about chroot. That really is not a Debian specific thing.

That said:
What you seem to ask for ( binary packages too): FreeBSD seems most close, from what i know. But it doesn't sound as if you would really ask.

Linadian

#36 Post by Linadian »

bettylou wrote:You can add Kali Linux to the list.
This is Kali's 1.0.9a package list from Distrowatch, you're right, there is NO virusd right now, but that's now, it they continue to follow Sheepian's repos, they too may get sucked in to the virusd toilet...eventually. Personally, I'm after long-term, a distro that doesn't bend over for arrogant corporate slopware punks. :roll:

fruitofloom

#37 Post by fruitofloom »

Besides that: A distro with software that specialized doesn't seem to sound like a good solution if all one wants is to get rid of systemd.
(me thinks Kali isn't a good solution anyway. Someone not able to install metasploit on his own shouldn't even consider to pentest a network. To each is own, or course).

PS: i missed Porteus. Added it too. If that happens again: feel free to bug me.

fruitofloom

#38 Post by fruitofloom »

Slightly elder and incomplete list of software which doesn't need systemd (created by Dean, aka mr-aka)
Might be worth a thread on it's own ... am open for suggestions.

preferences file:
Package: *systemd*
Pin: origin ""
Pin-Priority: -1

basics
xorg
alsa-base
alsa-utils

user environments & components
jwm
icewm
fluxbox
openbox
ratpoison
sawfish

fbpanel
lxpanel

deskmenu

razorqt-desktop
razorqt-panel
razorqt-runner
razorqt-session
razorqt-config

file managers
pcmanfm
xfe
doublecmd-gtk
doublecmd-qt
rox-filer

login manager
xdm
wdm
qingy

ide/editors
geany
scite
mousepad
leafpad

terminals
lxterminal
mrxvt
xterm
rxvt
roxterm

web browsers
iceweasel
chromium
arora
xxxterm
dillo
surf
netsurf
qupzilla

email clients
sylpheed
claws-mail

web software
filezilla
weechat
lostirc
irssi
aria2

office
abiword
gnumeric
osmo

misc
gourmet

audio/video
moc
vlc-nox

utilities
file-roller
xarchiver
grun
pmount

fleabus

#39 Post by fleabus »

Porteus was made from Slax. Or because of Slax, or something... :)

Does Slax count? < :oops: > Oops, missed that, it's already there...
Last edited by fleabus on 2014-11-03 15:17, edited 2 times in total.
Lenovo Legion 5-15IMH05 32GB Ram, 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD

bettylou

#40 Post by bettylou »

Yes Kali may some day use systemd and yes fruitofloom my not think it worthy, but it is an OS without systemd... as specified by the OP.