Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Jessie is now "frozen"

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
saulgoode

Jessie is now "frozen"

#1 Post by saulgoode »

The Debian release team today announced that Debian 8.0 (Jessie) is frozen. This basically means that only changes that fix critical bugs will be accepted (some exceptions may be allowed, but only with a waiver from the release team).
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan

fruitofloom

Re: Jessie is now "frozen"

#2 Post by fruitofloom »

Remember, remember, the 5. of november:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdT163r3dUQ
Give me convenience or give me death.

twoflowers

#3 Post by twoflowers »

So broken systemd is "stable"? Time to pack things and move to an other unix land, I guess.

robert3242

#4 Post by robert3242 »

twoflowers wrote:So broken systemd is "stable"? Time to pack things and move to an other unix land, I guess.
No, that isn't what the man posted. He posted that it's "frozen," not "stable." If there are still issues with systemd, no doubt they will be resolved before the release goes Stable. Fixing issues like that are precisely why they have the freeze in the first place. During the freeze they will add no new functionality, concentrating instead on patching mission-critical bugs.
Debian 7.7 (amd64)/Xfce 4.8

twoflowers

#5 Post by twoflowers »

Like Suse does with their systemd, patch it till it fixes what upstream wont fix? Does not sound like a good plan with limited resources at all.

edbarx

#6 Post by edbarx »

https://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2014/15/#Freezing wrote:With the freeze occurring as planned on November 5, Lucas Nussbaum blogged: "This is quite an achievement from the project as a whole, and the Release Team specifically. First, we froze on the date announced more than a year ago, and the freeze seems to have been well respected by all maintainers. Second, with 310 RC bugs at the time of the freeze, we are probably breaking a record for all recent Debian releases. Could we have the shorter Debian freeze ever? Given that FOSDEM is 12 weeks away, could we even release before FOSDEM, and have a big party there to celebrate?"
This sounds more like a teenager planning a party rather than a group of professionals. Why all the hurry?! :shock: :roll: :?
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

twoflowers

#7 Post by twoflowers »

Creating facts. Well, we'll see ... isnt't the poll over in some hours?

Crewp

#8 Post by Crewp »

I am really looking forward to Jesse going stable, I hope it's worth the wait. :mrgreen: