Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unable to dl rsync package.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Unable to dl rsync package.

#41 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

schnuller wrote:I think i would reinstall the OS, btw. This looks like a mess.
+1.
I can't make any sense of this.
deadbang

aicardi

#42 Post by aicardi »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
schnuller wrote:I think i would reinstall the OS, btw. This looks like a mess.
+1.
I can't make any sense of this.
+1
Just another shot in the dark...
Unless you have a very specific reason for the way it is, I would consider rethinking the partitioning scheme where /var is concerned.
Jessie/Xfce

reinob

#43 Post by reinob »

FeedMeAStrayCat wrote: E: Write error - write (28: No space left on device)
Your disk is full. Check with "df -h" (post here if needed). Fix that and then start again. You might have a corrupted package database though (dpkg is not known for its reliability).

Edit: this is what happens when you leave a tab open for a long time. Sorry for redundant reply.
Last edited by reinob on 2015-01-07 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

schnuller

#44 Post by schnuller »

He posted the output of dh -h already here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 30#p565427
it revealed that /var/lib is filling /var (well, the further investigation via du -sh), and that is what we were discussing before your post.

FeedMeAStrayCat

#45 Post by FeedMeAStrayCat »

To All,

I want to thank everyone so much for their effort for helping me to solve this issue! Turns out as best I can tell /var/lib/plexmediaserver was taking up a butt load of space, 1.1 Gb to be exact.

For those unfamilar with Plex, it's a media server software. Basically what appeared to be happening is Plex was placing all info (metadata, logs etc.) into /var/lib/plexmediaserver. So after a bit of research I found that you can set where Plex places this information in the config file /etc/default/plexmediaserver. I changed the location to a directory in one of my logical volumes and restarted the service. I then rm -r the old directory /var/lib/plexmediaserver.

After this I ran apt-get install rsync and received some promising info,

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install rsync
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  rsync
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 369 kB of archives.
After this operation, 653 kB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  rsync
Install these packages without verification [y/N]?
Now the question is, what is this message about authentication about?
Last edited by FeedMeAStrayCat on 2015-01-06 00:55, edited 1 time in total.

FeedMeAStrayCat

#46 Post by FeedMeAStrayCat »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
FeedMeAStrayCat wrote:Downspeed of my connnection via speedtest.net 30.69 Mbps
So why is APT only reporting 4bytes a second if your browser is getting almost 4MiB a second?

Are you sure you ran `apt-get clean`?

What is the output of:

Code: Select all

ls /var/cache/apt/archives/
I notice in your sig you have a lot of links to the wiki. I have tried reading the Debian reference document and at times it's quite dry, but quite thorough. I am wondering if the wiki is a bit more adjusted to someone who is very new to linux? Thoughts?

schnuller

#47 Post by schnuller »

regarding the message from apt:
you probably miss the keyring.
Do apt-cache search keyring
perhaps apt-cache search keyring --names-only
and dpkg -l | grep keyring
You probably miss debian-keyring, or a similar name. Install it, ignore the warning, run apt-get update again and when installing rsync the error warning should be gone.

regarding documentation: i would read what i got problems with, no matter if wiki, reference, manpage. In general i prefer to ask in a forum or IRC channel, usually someone there knows a) what is the solution or b) where to find the according documentation online.
You might try the Ubuntu wiki (for someone rather new to linux). If i got a quick question, i usually use it (i go to the German one, which is good for my purpose, hence i don't know the English one well). For most, but not all subjects, of course.

Head_on_a_Stick

#48 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

FeedMeAStrayCat wrote:I notice in your sig you have a lot of links to the wiki. I have tried reading the Debian reference document and at times it's quite dry, but quite thorough. I am wondering if the wiki is a bit more adjusted to someone who is very new to linux? Thoughts?
I find the Debian Reference to be one of the finest pieces of documentation I have ever come accross -- the trick is to read the parts that are applicable to your problem rather than trying to plough through it all in one sitting.

It is definately worth the effort.

For your authentication problem: you need to add the current secure key to APT -- guide here:
https://wiki.debian.org/SecureApt#How_t ... _add_a_key

Key here:
https://ftp-master.debian.org/keys.html
deadbang