Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I cannot change my new password

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
jfmxl

I cannot change my new password

#1 Post by jfmxl »

Hi,

I came here to ask about upgrading my system from 7.0 to 7.7 ... discovered I could not login because I forgot my password ... sent in to get a new password ... got it ... tried to change it to something I have some chance of remembering ... and you know-it-all-system says I can't do that because it doesn't like my email address. I'm blacklisted. I tried to follow up on that ... the message sad 'Sorry ... we cannot un-blacklist you... nothing can be done.' in so many words.

Is this for real? Why do you hate your users?

Ardouos

Re: I cannot change my new password

#2 Post by Ardouos »

What is the question then?
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

jfmxl

#3 Post by jfmxl »

How do I change my password?

Ardouos

#4 Post by Ardouos »

"I forgot my password" under log in screen, or remember your password. Can't help otherwise.

Did you activate the account?
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

jfmxl

#5 Post by jfmxl »

' "I forgot my password" under log in screen ... '

Yeah. I did that, Activated the account .., I'm her, right?

Logged in with new password, then tried to change.

Please read what I wrote originally.

I just cannot believe that this system can somehoiw divine that my email address is 'no good' and for that reason will not allow me to change my password from the arbitrary, cryptic password it sent me to one I like better ... and might be able to remember.

Is that the case or not? I suppose, is my question.

Ardouos

#6 Post by Ardouos »

You shouldn't need your email to change your password, you can change it in the control panel; unless you forgot it.

I would not know why it will not accept your email address though, maybe it filters certain domains?

Sorry if I misunderstood you, I just want to help.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

jfmxl

#7 Post by jfmxl »

Sorry, I guess you're just a user like myself. The gods don't bother to answer questions.

I cannot change my password because this damn, know-it-all system has put me on its 'no fly' list. Well, I think they're the terrorists, not me.

Thanks anyway.,

sgosnell

#8 Post by sgosnell »

I don't quite understand. You can post, obviously, so you're not on any "no-fly list". Changing your password should be done on the User Control Panel, Profile tab, Edit Account Settings. You can also change your password there if you want, but it's not required. You can get a free email address from lots of places. I have a couple of throw-away Google addresses that I use just for registering on websites. For passwords, I use LastPass. There are also other password managers available if you prefer. I have far too many passwords to remember, so I don't try. I only have to remember one master password.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.