Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Iceape]Libjpeg62 not installable on Jessie/64bit

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
mrkapqa

[Iceape]Libjpeg62 not installable on Jessie/64bit

#1 Post by mrkapqa »

Hello,

i'd like to install Iceape because i've got very good experience with it.
on wheezy it was still possible with squeeze-backports repository.

on jessie there is a new unmet dependency - in fact

iceape requires libjpeg62 as on squeeze

but this breaks/conflices libjpeg62-turbo on jessie; alot of programs use it; how can this conflict be solved so that iceape is still installable on Jessie?

thanks

richard

stevepusser

Re: [Iceape]Libjpeg62 not installable on Jessie/64bit

#2 Post by stevepusser »

It's probably simpler to install the Mozilla Seamonkey builds instead if you have a 32 or 64-bit x86 system.
MX Linux packager and developer

mrkapqa

#3 Post by mrkapqa »

hello steve

thanks but i tried that one earlier i don't like it so much because it is hard to install.

why is it not possible to install iceape? can it be that one file only blocks the whole installation process?

why can't i just install iceape normally and use this (libjppeg62) only for iceape? to me it seems that this linux repository system is not optimal if it does not allow older programs to be installed.

thanks
ricci

Ardouos

#4 Post by Ardouos »

When certain packages get updated, dependencies can also be updated too (meta packages etc). Iceapes support ended in December 2013, so no one will bother checking whether the application works with its dependencies or not in future releases as it has become a dead project. That is just how it works.

You could try chrooting a squeeze environment for iceape if you want it that badly.

I would heed stevepusser's advise.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

The latest seamonkey is not hard at all to install. See the last post in this thread: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... ey#p567140

Repackaged versions of the Mozilla binaries are here: http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testr ... seamonkey/
MX Linux packager and developer