Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Useless softwarecenter

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Soyuz

Useless softwarecenter

#1 Post by Soyuz »

Just used Softwareupdates. Cant handle request. Nothing about why and how I fix the blunder. Program totally useless.

Just used Softwarecenter. Most programs wont install, not even those delivered by debian. Need dependent packages from unauthorised sources.
Again nothing about why, what, how - program totally useless.

Same problem with synaptec. Useless.

thanatos_incarnate

Re: Useless softwarecenter

#2 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

I cannot confirm your report on either Software Center or Synaptic.
Both work fine here.

But those programmes are not the official way of installing software
on Debian anyway. AFAIK, apt-get is the only recommended tool.

cf. https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... operations

emariz

#3 Post by emariz »

Yes, indeed.
Aptitude.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Problems of this nature usually are because of adding strange outside repos, such as PPAs, or a problem with your software sources list.
MX Linux packager and developer

eor2004

#5 Post by eor2004 »

Another Case Of "PEBCAK"!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

schnuller

#6 Post by schnuller »

Read post. Info not good. Don't know apps speak you of.Question you got?
Power you be may.

Magnusmaster

#7 Post by Magnusmaster »

What error message does Software Center show?

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

@OP: please post the output of:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
deadbang

Soyuz

#9 Post by Soyuz »

Just got some packageprogramme calle PackageKit. tried to install it. loads of things happens - until the very last line read-, intltool to old.
Well - hunt for intltool only to discover a couple of hours work in it to work.

Useless

Soyuz

#10 Post by Soyuz »

By the way - I am not trying to solve the problems mentioned by me.

I am merely commenting experiences with our beloved Linux.

If an end-user cannot install the app without the use of 2 linux-djinns and a nerd, it is considered useless.

You want your program out there? You want to flash your name on as many workstations as possible? Learn something about end-users and why they will discard your app if not installed in half an hour.

Also endusers will discard linux if all they can use is some apps theyve already have got working in their Windows.

BR

and old grumpy Z80-djinn and linux-nerd (0.99er).

thanatos_incarnate

#11 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

What is happening to you right now can in no way happen on Debian Stable.
You must have done something to mess up your package structure.
The same would have happened if you took win.ini from Windows Vista
and stuck it into Windows 98. The system would panic.

You're also a hypocrite -- you tinkered with something only advanced users
should tinkle with (on a Linux distro aimed at advanced users no less)
and now you don't want to do the advanced steps necessary to fix it,
but rather go about blaming the operating system.

We don't need your hints about improving Linux (whatever Linux means to you)
since they lack proper expertise and rationality. You are a troll, no more, no less.

Soyuz

#12 Post by Soyuz »

... and youre an ignorant. I am not trolling - just writing about my experiences with Debian Wheezy. So do not shoot before you ask, young man, otherwise I have to reply in the same acusing arrogant way.

The only things I have tampered with are things which I found in various debian-forums, "guaranteed" to work.

By the way - i just tried installing another programe. I have forgotten which after having to install various libraries and the last thing the machine wanted was to install gnome-utils.

After installing gnome-utils, I was hinted to log out and then login. Did that - no login screen, no X, no whatsoever. Rebooted. Nothing. No login screen, no x, no nothing.

Fortunaltely I have this laptop also running linux to reinstall the other machine, thus loosing numerous days of work.

Not that different from what made me skip linux fifteen years ago.

BTW: at university we were always taught: If the end-user can destroy a system - something has gone wrong during delvelopment.

JLloyd13

#13 Post by JLloyd13 »

thanatos_incarnate wrote:What is happening to you right now can in no way happen on Debian Stable.
You must have done something to mess up your package structure.
The same would have happened if you took win.ini from Windows Vista
and stuck it into Windows 98. The system would panic.

You're also a hypocrite -- you tinkered with something only advanced users
should tinkle with (on a Linux distro aimed at advanced users no less)
and now you don't want to do the advanced steps necessary to fix it,
but rather go about blaming the operating system.

We don't need your hints about improving Linux (whatever Linux means to you)
since they lack proper expertise and rationality. You are a troll, no more, no less.
Very true. Go run Ubuntu and never mess with your sources if you want a software center and everything fine. Mess with your sources without knowing what you're doing is only asking for trouble.

OP says Windows users don't like that? Sucks. This isn't windows. We have our own way of doing things. People break Windows all the time, yes END USERS OFTEN BREAK WINDOWS, people break Linux all of the time, usually their own fault. That's totally Ok, its a great way to learn, but its not the fault of Linux
Laptop: Debian GNU/Linux 9 'Stretch' 64bit
Read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian/
We are the Universal OS. Be patient, give help, teach the Debian way.

JLloyd13

#14 Post by JLloyd13 »

Soyuz wrote:.

BTW: at university we were always taught: If the end-user can destroy a system - something has gone wrong during delvelopment.
New idea: if the end user CANT break their system, they haven't been given enough control over it.

If your additude is idiot proof, this is not for you.
Laptop: Debian GNU/Linux 9 'Stretch' 64bit
Read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian/
We are the Universal OS. Be patient, give help, teach the Debian way.

aicardi

#15 Post by aicardi »

Soyuz wrote: BTW: at university we were always taught: If the end-user can destroy a system - something has gone wrong during delvelopment.
Wrong.
1) In UNIX and UNIX-like systems there are users. There can be one, or many on a single system. Users can not destroy a system. That's what permissions are all about.
Of course they muck up anything and everything in their user space (home directory), but nothing outside of that.
2) The administrator (root) can certainly destroy the system. If you actually took any UNIX courses at the University you would know that UNIX assumes you know exactly what you are doing.
Clearly you do not.
Jessie/Xfce

thanatos_incarnate

#16 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

Well, another solution would be to have a legal guardian present during computer use.
Might help.

mardybear

#17 Post by mardybear »

Soyuz wrote: BTW: at university we were always taught: If the end-user can destroy a system - something has gone wrong during delvelopment.
Who is the end user? If you set up the system, you are both a regular user and root. The potential damage caused by a root user is limitless.

Can't speak for Softwareupdates but i have used Synaptic Package Manager for almost 10 years across numerous distributions with minimal issues. As you've already been informed, command line often works best and your issues may be related to altering your sources.list.
Uncle Ben: Remember, with great power. comes great responsibility
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

GarryRicketson

#18 Post by GarryRicketson »

Hmm, it does seem odd, I just recently installed
NOW:
Release 7.8 (wheezy) 32-bit
Kernel Linux 3.2.0-4-686-pae
GNOME 3.4.2
and after that I used the "software manager" to install a game for my grand daughter, worked fine, generally I prefer to use the "synaptic package manager", and I installed several software packages, with no problems. I was just now curious about this "PackageKit", and checked synaptic, it shows it is all ready installed, so that must have been installed when I installed Debian, with some of the other packages that installed "automatically", ....
The other softwares/games I installed, "Bouncy Bunny" (done with software manager), then also the good old "TuxPaint", more for my grandaughter, but I kind of of enjoy it, "TuxMath" also, that is a excellent one, for you children developing their math skills, for me the bible is important, so I also installed all the "BibleTime" packages, these include some "sword apps or texts" too, ..Then I also installed a animation softawre, program, I use, used to be "Pencil", now it is "Pencil2d", ok on that it was not in the repository, so I downloaded it, "pencil2d_0.5.3-20130717.1_i386.deb" since it is written for debian, I was able to simply "right click" the mouse,after it was selected and open it with "GDebi package installer", it installed and works fine, or seems too, on that I have read that there were some bugs, or problems (it is still being developed), which is why it is not in the repository at this time, so I may have some problems later, but that is NOT the fault of Debian, nor the authors of the program, some times if we want "open source" and free software, it still takes some effort,work, on the end users part, or simply wait , until it is "stable",..
I find the software manager, the repositories,synaptic manage, all very use full with a wide selection of many useful programs, maybe not programs I need or would use, but to others they are useful, and to me the ones I installed are useful.
Edited: I forgot, also "DOS Box" installed fine, so I can play my favorite game, a very old, MS Pacman, written for Dos,..that is the only reason I wanted "dosbox" :mrgreen:

Soyuz

#19 Post by Soyuz »

Well - go on.

Stay put in the past some fifteen years ago.

But when a system wants bigger marketshares, its time to come out of the bush and the caves, gents - and also to stop shooting before you ask. Wild West was not that big a blockbuster after all - usually the bad guys lost in the end, only to spill a lot of innocent blood. Want to know the inner looks of a Troll? Well take a good look at yourselves in this thread.

All for now - Goodbye, Joe, me gotta go, me-oh-mayoh, gotta go and pole Ubuntu down the Bayou ... and take all the potential customers with me.
(Ubuntu was installed on the newly crashed machine last night. Through the night two laptops, a desktop, a Seagate Central (set up in linux by myself, which works flawlessly) and a Raspberry Pi called Enigma has been trying to stress this UBUNTU 14.10 converted laptop - but it just keep on running)
Last edited by Soyuz on 2015-02-14 14:26, edited 1 time in total.

thanatos_incarnate

#20 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

Soyuz wrote: me gotta go
Please do!