Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Has modern Linux lost its way?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
mor

Re: Has modern Linux lost its way?

#41 Post by mor »

JLloyd13 wrote:yes, clearly he is providing help in a secret code only true debian users can access, I shall therefor begin a life of prayer to seek this new level of enlightenment from Nadir/schnuller our great grand master.
Well, you are exaggerating a bit.
What I was saying is just that he is not what he seems, not that he is the wise man on the mountain.

The reason why I am saying all this is because even though I see most things differently from him, I have personally benefited from reading his crap and locking horns with him a few times. I value people that can challenge my ideas and push me to make them better, and by giving him a chance I was able to see a different point of view in many matters, which I am glad for.

But I understand not all feel the same way about this so I don't expect you to trust me or even listen to me.
I for one don't agree with his often relinquishing philosophy and overall pessimistic attitude, moreover I don't share his (and not just his) concern with the way things are going but exactly because of this I'm happy to have someone like him that keeps me in check.

I think it is not wise to just dismiss what he is doing as trollish, because it is not the product of the isolated sense of disaffection of a grumpy user: behind nadir there is a big chunk of users who are definitely loosing touch and feel (when they haven't already) with the community at large.

This is not just a matter of generational change with newer enthusiast people taking the place of older cranky ones.
The "linux" world you are living in now, despite all the commixtures that users like Nadir are concerned with, is still the fruit of the old school approach, attitude and philosophy and although I don't want to say change is either good or bad, I am going to say that change is gonna be different, and the very thing that it still is now (and that you too like) is changing in a way that may well be something that you too don't like anymore.

Keep in mind that aside from any generalization that can be done about things changing over time, the very nature of the "linux" world is rooted in certain values and ideologies that may well just not be priorities at all with the new wave. The self reliance and natural inquisitiveness of the order of early users may just be replaced by the carelessness of all those who washed on "linux" shore to run away from licenses' fees and viruses rather than from curiosity and eagerness to learn. The importance of software freedom accompanied by all the sacrifices that need to be made to comply, may as well be supplanted by the convenience of having things that "just work". It may all blur into a Google Play Market kind of free.

However exaggerated they may be both in nature and in the way they can be presented, such concerns are very important, and if you have the slightest doubt that indulging someone like nadir may be beneficial, then think about it. Or don't. ;)

There is a trade off of course, you can't argue with users who obstinate into being hostile, but Nadir, although may seem at first, is not that kind. That's what I wanted to say.

Bye
(honest, I'm not pulling your leg)

1of12

Re: Has modern Linux lost its way?

#42 Post by 1of12 »

buntunub wrote:Systemd fanboi's ... pushed for a piece of alpha/beta quality software to be pushed into future stable releases, and they got what they wanted because those who were in a good position to do something about it did nothing.
You need to provide citations for this. Are you suggesting that users that wanted systemd somehow had a say in what the project adopted?
buntunub wrote:As one who did try to fight against it, I now think the Debian community is getting precisely what they deserve.
Citation needed. I'm interested to know exactly what you did to "fight" against it, would especially like to see what code you have written. But setting up an anti systemd website would also count - links please.
buntunub wrote:Its even laughable that there is now a movement to tuck tail and run away from Debian to some other alternative "home". TBH, I feel for those communities because what are they really getting aside from people who ran away from Debian due to Systemd?...
I'm lost. Are you using an OS, member of a cult or what? No idea what you're talking about. There is a vast choice of Linux distributions, but you're saying that users shouldn't switch to something else if they don't like what's going on?

So what is your solution? You don't like the decision, but you're not going to change distribution? Are you then going to remain using Debian and continue to complain about it on forums such as this one? That makes no sense.