Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Configure X with Intel Graphic in testing

Need help with peripherals or devices?
sesselastronaut

Configure X with Intel Graphic in testing

#1 Post by sesselastronaut »

I just installed a fresh Debian testing on my laptop with a VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics (rev 09). Although X is running seems like it's rather slow. As there’s no xorg.conf I was wondering if anyone has a hint at hand on how the graphic card could be configured using the appropriate driver.

squeeze

Re: Configure X with Intel Graphic in testing

#2 Post by squeeze »

For Broadwell i think you have to use the experimental drivers. See The Wiki on how to accomplish this.

Gruesse :-)
“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”

sesselastronaut

#3 Post by sesselastronaut »

That helped - merci mille!

sesselastronaut

#4 Post by sesselastronaut »

Hm, guess I cheered too soon - seems like X with the experimental driver seems to freeze after suspend...

squeeze

#5 Post by squeeze »

SNA is the default acceleration method in xf86-video-intel. If you are experience issues with SNA, try using UXA instead, which can be done by creating an X configuration file containing the following:

Code: Select all

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
EndSection
Source: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In ... SNA_issues

Debian often has problems with brand new hardware, use a bleeding edge distro instead or wait until jessie gets released and switch to testing.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I have had good results using Glamor, it seems very stable with version 2.99.917-4 of the Intel driver.

Section "Device"
	Identifier "Intel Graphics"
	Driver "intel"
	Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
EndSection
It also seems to work very well with the sid driver (2.21.15-2)
deadbang

sesselastronaut

#7 Post by sesselastronaut »

Thanks for those indications! As there's no xorg.conf nor a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ folder I was wondering where to adjust the settings you proposed. The Xsession.d folder in /etc/X11/ holds different settings I suppose?

squeeze

#8 Post by squeeze »

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
If it doesn't exist just create one ;-)

sesselastronaut

#9 Post by sesselastronaut »

Ok got it :D For me only the experimental (xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.99.917-1~exp1_amd64) with "uxa" acceleration seems to work - using "glamor" generates artefacts and makes X unusable after resume. Configurations with sid( xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.21.15-2+b2_amd64) lacks acceleration be it glamor or uxa used as AccelMethod.

sesselastronaut

#10 Post by sesselastronaut »

Just found out that videos are not playing with these settings - have to watch with -vx x11 till another version of xserver-xorg-video-intel is coming up I suppose :/

squeeze

#11 Post by squeeze »

sesselastronaut wrote:Just found out that videos are not playing with these settings - have to watch with -vx x11 till another version of xserver-xorg-video-intel is coming up I suppose :/
... which should happen 'soon'.

sesselastronaut

#12 Post by sesselastronaut »

Although the above mentioned issues seem to be fine, I'm still having some issue with the acceleration of my graphic card.
I'm currently using xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.21.15-2+b2 and an /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf as follows:

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
EndSection
The problem becomes apparent for example if I start chromium and try to move the whole browser window by holding down the alt key + the mouse, resulting in almost slow motion. Similar effects with Iceweasel on various websites e.g. googlemaps. This is after a fresh reboot. Furthermore I noticed after a couple of resumes I can't play videos with the default settings any more, e.g. in mplayer only with the -xv X11 option. Guess this is due to the hardware acceleration but do not know how to debug this though...

Head_on_a_Stick

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

sesselastronaut wrote:I'm currently using xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.21.15-2+b2
Version 2.99 is now in jessie-backports and is much improved compared to the version you are using -- try that instead.
https://packages.debian.org/jessie-back ... ideo-intel
https://wiki.debian.org/Backports
deadbang

sesselastronaut

#14 Post by sesselastronaut »

thanks for this indication, I tried the 2.99 backports version which seems to perform bit better sometimes. But still after resumes I can't play videos with the default settings any more. This behaviour seems to be very arbitrary, can happen after just one resume or a couple of them. I wanna mentioned at this point I switch between screens using the following command:

xrandr --output HDMI2 --off --output HDMI1 --off --output DP1 --off --output eDP1 --mode 2560x1440 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output DP2 --mode 1680x1050 --pos 2560x0 --rotate normal
which might affect the above mentioned issue.
Another problem with X but most probably not connected to this graphic card's performance I just filed here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=122827