Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to install Numpy?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Puzzled

How to install Numpy?

#1 Post by Puzzled »

Hi all,

As part of a bigger install (openPnP, which requires openCV, which requires numpy as shown here... http://docs.opencv.org/2.4.10/doc/tutor ... stallation. The machine is not connected to the internet, so I'm doing this manually. I'm down past the halfway mark on that list and trying to install numpy, but the installation instructions don't make much sense to me. It mentions Fortran, Ubuntu versions, Windows, and free compilers/mingw-v64, but none seem to apply to my setup (just Debian Wheezy). I can't try one of the Ubuntu methods as this machine is offline, so I can't use apt-get as specified in those sections. Also, there is no makefile.

Any clue what I should do next?

Thanks.

stevepusser

Re: How to install Numpy?

#2 Post by stevepusser »

You are making this really, really tough without a Net connection. Do you have any access to a machine with Net access at all?

One way to handle this would be to duplicate your install in a virtual Machine on the machine with Net access. Install everything you need on the virtual install. Then you need to copy all the deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives/ to a removable medium, take them to the isolated machine, and install them there.
MX Linux packager and developer

Puzzled

#3 Post by Puzzled »

I have a Windows machine with an internet connection. I was thinking I could hotspot my phone and buy a wireless usb adapter, but then I know I'll go into a couple days of research to find which adapter works with linux, and then wait for it to be shipped etc. Grrr.

Are you suggesting I use something like vmware to create the virtual machine? Was hoping this could be simpler than that. :(

aplistir

#4 Post by aplistir »

Have you tried using keryx?
http://beatofthegeek.com/2011/07/keryx- ... e-for.html

With it you should be able to download a program with all the needed dependencies to a USB-stick from any mahine (windows, mac or linux) that IS connected to internet, and then use that to install them on your mahine...

I haven't tried keryx, but have heard that it works atleast if you use the portable version. (keryx isnt developed any longer though.)

Puzzled

#5 Post by Puzzled »

I haven't. I did find apt-offline, but it seems to be setup to get full system updates. Or at least I could not find any on getting just one package. Will check it out when i'm back at the machine later.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

I use Virtual Box myself, it's fairly simple to set up a virtual Debian in it. I think anything on the target machine would still need an

"apt-get update" while connected to the net to build the database, so know what dependencies are missing. That's why I think a duplicate of the target install would be easier to work with.

The Numpy package in Debian is called python-numpy.
MX Linux packager and developer

Puzzled

#7 Post by Puzzled »

Well, I finally found a wireless USB adapter that works with Linux locally, so I'm using apt-get. Hotspotting from my phone, I've been plugging away at it since last night I it seems numpy is no longer an issue. Now I'm working through opencv code issues. I'll close this thread and continue on my other thread about opencv.

Much thanks!