Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

openCV binary for wheezy?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Puzzled

openCV binary for wheezy?

#1 Post by Puzzled »

As I'm trudging through the pain of installing openCV manually, one dependency at a time, I'm wondering perhaps if anyone has a binary for openCV that works with the EGLIBC 2.13 that comes with Wheezy?

Thanks.

stevepusser

Re: openCV binary for wheezy?

#2 Post by stevepusser »

I'm guessing you want something else than the version in the stock Wheezy repositories?
MX Linux packager and developer

Puzzled

#3 Post by Puzzled »

What is the stock Wheezy repository? AFAIK, when I run openPnP, it includes openCV, but that hates my EGLIBC 2.13. It requires GLIBC2.15 or higher. My research says I'll break more things by trying to upgrade that. So the suggestion from the openPnP folks was to install my own openCV, as openPnP will check if I have openCV first, else use it's own. That's where I'm at now.

FWIW, I thought I might just do a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04 as openPnP works well on that (and it's openCV will work as GLIBC version is higher), but then I also need EMC2/LinuxCNC which has real-time extensions, and apparently installing that is a nightmare.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Puzzled wrote:What is the stock Wheezy repository? AFAIK, when I run openPnP, it includes openCV, but that hates my EGLIBC 2.13. It requires GLIBC2.15 or higher. My research says I'll break more things by trying to upgrade that. So the suggestion from the openPnP folks was to install my own openCV, as openPnP will check if I have openCV first, else use it's own. That's where I'm at now.

FWIW, I thought I might just do a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04 as openPnP works well on that (and it's openCV will work as GLIBC version is higher), but then I also need EMC2/LinuxCNC which has real-time extensions, and apparently installing that is a nightmare.
You may be trying to use Ubuntu packages on Debian, which in general is a very bad idea. Besides a newer libc6, they will also probably need many other versions of libraries not available in Wheezy. If you need to use those packages, then using them in Ubuntu is the best solution.

Ubuntu and Debian both use online repositories for package management, you can search them using packages.debian.org and packages.ubuntu.com.

Puzzled

#5 Post by Puzzled »

I don't think I've been using any Ubuntu packages on Debian. But at this point I do have internet access and got updates etc (with apt-get) done. I seem to have the bugs at the same point as previously though, so working through them. asm code errors in opencv code, incorrect cmake files to locate JNI, etc. :o Trudging through it all, but now I passed the prev 28% build mark, and up to 88%. Hopefully it's just a matter of time now. :|

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

It's almost always much better to use the packages provided by Debian, rather than build your own version manually compiled and installed version:

http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=127

https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

Debian cuts up the OpenCV libraries into quite a few packages, try the Synaptic GUI if you'd like to see how many libopencv- packages there are. The Wheezy version has aged quite a bit; again, what version are you looking for?