Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Tips from our Members

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
ivanovnegro

Re: Tips from our Members

#81 Post by ivanovnegro »

^ :lol:

eric1959

#82 Post by eric1959 »

camera2000 wrote:Its been a big learning curve for this 52 year old but Living without Windows and Loving linux for 3 years now.doubt any of the admins care.....Please correct me if I'm wrong. Just have a look at the profiles of these so called new members and registered users online, so many are obvious spammers.
The only thing that can be done by us users is to report spam posts....
Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330

ooseven

#83 Post by ooseven »

kman wrote:I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to linux but when i try to convince people to try a linux distro , i tell them that if they like mac then they would be more comfortable with gnome and if you are a windows familiar person you would be more comfortable with kde3 (xp like) and kde4 ( vista or windows 7 like). I prefer kde but also like gnome ok, especially if it comes down to having to use a MS or Apple product. i love Linux ( Debian base mostly) and hope to never go back to the dark side.
thought this would interest you ...

gnome. xfce and lxde soon , to follow

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/openso ... ag=nl.e011
Thank You.....
ooseven

/tmp

#84 Post by /tmp »

If something isn't working and you've tried every known solution, take a break for a little while to cool off. That way, you will be able to approach it later with a fresh, even-headed perspective.
Bookworm | Intel I7-3667U | Apple Macbook Air 5,2 (Mid 2012) (Laptop) | 8 GB RAM | 3rd Gen Intel Core Graphics

BK2

#85 Post by BK2 »

Has this thread turned into a thread about spam or are suggestions still on the table?
If so, I think some kind of logical flow-chart linking the filesystem would be handy. For example, the links between fstab, mtab, /dev, /mnt, /media, /udev. I think I'm just now getting my head around it. I have had to read about this again and again; visuals are easier to remember. I would be willing to start it myself if I am not talking nonsense and this could be meaningful if done.

caduceus

#86 Post by caduceus »

i originally saved this for another post. yet when i came back to that post it had 115 reply`s and was locked.

Release Notes for Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 (squeeze), 32-bit PC
http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/ ... ase-notes/
5.4. Security status of web browsers

Debian 6.0 includes several browser engines which are affected by a steady stream of security vulnerabilities. The high rate of vulnerabilities and partial lack of upstream support in the form of long term branches make it very difficult to support these browsers with backported security fixes. Additionally, library interdepencies make it impossible to update to newer upstream releases. As such, browsers built upon the qtwebkit and khtml engines are included in Squeeze, but not covered by full security support. We will make an effort to track down and backport security fixes, but in general these browsers should not be used against untrusted websites.

For general web browser use we recommend browsers building on the Mozilla xulrunner engine (Iceweasel and Iceape), browsers based on the Webkit engine (e.g. Epiphany) or Chromium. Xulrunner has had a history of good backportability for older releases over the previous release cycles.

Chromium —while built upon the Webkit codebase— is a leaf package, i.e. if backporting becomes no longer feasible, there's still the possibility of upgrading to a later upstream release (which is not possible for the webkit library itself).

Webkit is supported by upstream with a long term maintenance branch.

gnu2debian

#87 Post by gnu2debian »

Typing in really long paragraphs without breaking up your sentences does not make your post easy to read. Try to break up your thoughts into paragraphs
That may be the case, but most teachers in compostion will tell you that a well composed section of prose might indeed require more than one or two sentences in a long paragraph to effectually convey a compelling and complete thought. I have no problem simplifying my statements for those who request clarification, but I refuse to "dumb-down" my posts for those who are too lazy (and/or ignorant) to read between "imaginary" paragraphical spaces!

Randicus

#88 Post by Randicus »

Posting a technical question is not an exercise in composing literature. The purpose is to provide information, not to convey a thought or feeling. To that end, short and descriptive statements that contain information needed to solve a problem are best. Often, providing information in point-form is desirable. (As opposed to eloquent flowing prose.)

/tmp

#89 Post by /tmp »

If you're like me -- and I know I sure am -- you have been wanting to get audio over HDMI for some time.
Doing so in the past was only possible while using the proprietary driver from NVIDIA; now it is possible to do so with the Free Software Nouveau driver.

This is now possible but will require you to compile and build your own Linux kernel using the latest stable release found at kernel.org.
Bookworm | Intel I7-3667U | Apple Macbook Air 5,2 (Mid 2012) (Laptop) | 8 GB RAM | 3rd Gen Intel Core Graphics

wtfmobutu

#90 Post by wtfmobutu »

It seems harder at first but an Expert Install is actually easier. To any question you don't know the answer, just hit enter. Don't allow root log-in and you get sudo set-up nice and easy.

If you're coming from Debian-based-but-not-Debian like Mint or Ubuntu, you might want to dual-boot while you get to know your way around. Debian can be difficult - mainly because it asks questions to which you don't know the answer - but unlike Arch it's not a moving target. So, get to know it at your own pace. You've got all the time in the world.
WTF? Mobutu! is and always will be free of anything worth reading

Atomic-Fanboy

#91 Post by Atomic-Fanboy »

Practice installing it first.

Install Debian as a guest OS in a virtual machine.
Play with it and mess around a bit.
Once you know exactly how to go and install it to a real hard drive parition, do so.
If you're not sure or confident, then you need to mess around more.

Read : Debian-Reference, Debian-Handbook, Debian Newbie's Guide, Debian-Wiki and anything else Linux or Debian related.

Have fun!
Intel B820 (Dualcore Celeron Mobile 1700MHz) - 8GB RAM
Debian 7.1 Openbox / Win7

manishthatte

#92 Post by manishthatte »

Here is a tip to install google chrome:

1) Download package filenamechrome.deb to ur comp

2) open terminal

3) login to ur sudo

4) type: sudo dpkg -i <location>filenamechrome.deb

5) type: sudo apt-get -f install

6) Voila...find google chrome in Applications > Internet
Taking baby steps in Debian

JTunn

#93 Post by JTunn »

manishthatte wrote:Here is a tip to install google chrome:

1) Download package filenamechrome.deb to ur comp

2) open terminal

3) login to ur sudo

4) type: sudo dpkg -i <location>filenamechrome.deb

5) type: sudo apt-get -f install

6) Voila...find google chrome in Applications > Internet
Works like a charm, cheers! :wink:

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#94 Post by Bloom »

Determining your WAN ip address from the terminal (or in a bash script)

1. Using external means

Code: Select all

curl ident.me ; echo
curl http://checkip.amazonaws.com ; echo
Either of these two work fast. If you haven't got curl and you don't want to or can't install is, you can also use 'wget -O - -q' instead of 'curl -s'.

This one uses dig and the resolver of OpenDNS:

dig +short myip.opendns.com @resolver1.opendns.com
The next one is also very fast and uses icanhazip.com but only with commands built-in to every Linux:

exec 3<> /dev/tcp/icanhazip.com/80 && # open connection
  echo 'GET /' >&3 &&                   # send http 0.9 request
  read -u 3 && echo $REPLY &&           # read response
  exec 3>&-                             # close fd
2. By internal means

Many internet home routers for cable or DSL show a status page with the WAN ip address which doesn't require a login. If so, you can get your WAN ip address from your router.

This is an example for DDWRT:

curl -s router | grep "ipinfo" | awk -v FS="(IP: |</span)" '{print $2}'
or if a login is needed:

curl -s -u username:password router | grep "ipinfo" | awk -v FS="(IP: |</span)" '{print $2}'
Replace 'router' with the hostname or LAN ip address of your router.
Replace username and password by the username and password needed to login to the webinterface of your router.

Many Europeans (including me) have an AVM Fritz1Box router. That one yields the WAN ip address as well, but it's a little more complicated:

curl -s "http://router.:49000/igdupnp/control/WANIPConn1" -H "Content-Type: text/xml; charset="utf-8"" -H "SoapAction:urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:WANIPConnection:1#GetExternalIPAddress" -d "<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?> <s:Envelope s:encodingStyle='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/' xmlns:s='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/'> <s:Body> <u:GetExternalIPAddress xmlns:u='urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:WANIPConnection:1' /> </s:Body> </s:Envelope>" |grep -Eo '\<[[:digit:]]{1,3}(\.[[:digit:]]{1,3}){3}\>'
Replace 'router.' with the actual hostname or LAN ip address of your Fritz!Box router.
(source: https://askubuntu.com/questions/95910/c ... -public-ip)

jmgibson1981

#95 Post by jmgibson1981 »

1 - Check the date on any guides you may follow. When one follows a guide that is 10+ years out of date and it doesn't work there isn't much we can do about it. Make sure you find the most current information you can before doing anything and posting about it failing. Things change.

2 - Stop following those guides about sizing partitions. Enough with the "my /boot is full" nonsense. If you need special sizing for such things you wouldn't need the guide to tell you to do it. 99.9% of the time all in one partition or just / with a separate /home or /data will suffice for the average user.

3 - If you want to compile from random source give it a unique prefix. In my case for Kodi I build from source and I put the entire thing in /opt/kodimatrix. I add /opt/kodimatrix/bin to my PATH and it works well. No reason to run

make install
without a dedicated prefix as it can overwrite other files unintentionally. Why risk breaking something if you don't have to.

4 - Don't be a zealot. Everyone has their own reasons or uses for linux and open source in general. Not everyone uses it based on a philosophical reason. Respect that. To each their own. Don't be an ass to people trying to help you just because they may choose to use or suggest a non free package or something else you may have a grievance against for some reason. (goes for anywhere, not just the Debian forums)

5 - Calculated risk is part of the game regardless of operating system or free / non free software. Everyone has a price regardless of what they associate themselves with. If you can't read the code yourself you can't be 100% certain of what it is. Nothing is truly safe. Be aware of that. There are no guarantees in either direction.

*EDIT*

Stability Issues!

Check your airflow. I know that sounds like something one shouldn't have to worry about but I'd been having all sorts of random things pop up on my desktop. I was going to build a custom case so I stripped the parts out of it and they are mounted just on a piece of plywood at the moment. Everything is hooked up and working. I'm using it right now, my noise level and temps are half what they used to be in the case. I haven't seen an error of any kind since doing this. I'd imagine I'd get better performance on Windows as well. Point being it isn't always going to be Linux's fault if you have random things going on. Temps matter.