Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Iceweasel does not display some website icons but  instead

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Willynux

Iceweasel does not display some website icons but  instead

#1 Post by Willynux »

I'm using wheezy and iceweasel 10.0.12
Some icons in websites viewed with iceweasel get replaced by a square with some inscription like this one: .
Other browsers like chromium or epiphany are ok. I've seen this happen on omgubuntu.co.uk (menu at the top) and photobucket.com. On photobucket the site becomes unusable because I cannot tell what a button does.
This does not seem to be a text encoding problem since these are icons and not characters. On the source code it appears as an empty tag: <i class="icon-angle-down"></i> and the CSS shows:
.icon-angle-down:before {
content: "\f107";
}

Is there a problem in iceweasel or did I do something wrong?
Can someone shed me some light please
(I'm using wheezy and iceweasel 10.0.12)

craigevil

Re: Iceweasel does not display some website icons but  inst

#2 Post by craigevil »

The pages are poorly done, the same box shows up here in Firefox, Qupzilla, and Chrome.

or it is a strange font.

Although I would update Iceweasel to the current ESR,
17.0.3esr-1.

Add:
deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ experimental iceweasel-esr

apt-get update
apt-get -t experimental install iceweasel
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Willynux

#3 Post by Willynux »

Hey,
Thanks for the reply, I've just updated to Iw17 as suggested but the problem remains. Even if the site is poorly done, shouldn't this be marked as a bug?

llivv

Re: Iceweasel and  icon

#4 Post by llivv »

can you post the url of the web page?
edit: Oh duh, there are the links :oops:
Last edited by llivv on 2013-03-04 04:11, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

dasein

#5 Post by dasein »

craigevil wrote:...or it is a strange font.
This.
Willynux wrote:This does not seem to be a text encoding problem since these are icons and not characters.
No, these are indeed text elements, not graphics.
Willynux wrote:Is there a problem in iceweasel or did I do something wrong?
Neither.
Willynux wrote:Even if the site is poorly done, shouldn't this be marked as a bug?
Not a browser bug, certainly. The numbnuts over at omgubuntu are trying to combine a css hack with a specific font to achieve a particular visual effect (specifically, something that looks like a pull-down). They should be boiled in oil. But it's not the browser fault, nor is it anything you did.

Willynux

#6 Post by Willynux »

Alrite, thank you for the reply, it was definitively helpful.

I've downloaded the font you mentioned (http://fortawesome.github.com/Font-Awesome/) and placed in the folder /usr/share/fonts/ then restartet IceWeasel. Now I can see these iconic css hacks and use my favourite browser to navigate through omgubuntu and photobucket.

I don't understand how chromium and epiphany were able to display the icons even before I manually installed the font but anyway...

Thank you guys

theAdmiral71

#7 Post by theAdmiral71 »

This is still a glitch in Iceweasel 37.0.2 on Debian 8 (Jessie). However, craigevil's fix works. Thank you.

A little additional, more detailed guidance would have you download the fonts file mentioned above in ZIP format, extract the ZIP file creating a new folder (e.g.--named folder "a") of several directories of fonts, and just move folder "a" that was created by the extraction to the /usr/share/fonts directory. It will look a little out of place with the versioning as part of the folder name, but that's the way it goes in /usr/share/fonts.

golinux

#8 Post by golinux »

Here's another reason why icons might not render properly thanks to FontAwesome. There is a fix for it too.
May the FORK be with you!