Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can anyone PLEASE tell me the release schedule?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
TrinitySeven

Can anyone PLEASE tell me the release schedule?

#1 Post by TrinitySeven »

Hello everyone, new user on the forums here...yet very experienced linux/Debian user. I just want to know a simple answer...I really like the new Debian, want to totally download some copies of it for various rigs (probably the MATE DE as I am just so happy it's part of the family now after all this time) yet I NEED TO KNOW...what is the release schedule for fixes on Debian Jessie (8.0)...I mean if I DL the 8.0.0 and then the 8.0.1 comes out a day or two later, well then it would kind of miff me...so please help me find out when this occurs, because I used my abilities with search engines and came up blank so far, although I will keep trying now. I just thought this would be the place to get this info better even than a search engine...so I signed up...thanks in advance for your assistance to obtain this important information, I know there has to be a plan some wheres...of coarse :D :idea:

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Can anyone PLEASE tell me the release schedule?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

TrinitySeven wrote:what is the release schedule for fixes on Debian Jessie
When they're ready ;)
deadbang

TrinitySeven

#3 Post by TrinitySeven »

That is a really poor answer for someone who is looking for the PLANNED release schedule...it offers completely no information that is helpful whatsoever as far as information sought, do you do this in these forums on a regular basis?

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

It is the only answer you will ever get.

This is not Windows.

And yes: I get a kick out of winding you up, it's great fun :D
deadbang

TrinitySeven

#5 Post by TrinitySeven »

new user on the forums here...yet very experienced linux/Debian user. I just want to know a simple answer...
part of that you have trouble reading & undertanding?

This is not windows...you don't say...more of your trolling I will assume with such obviously blatantly ignorant comments as to the OP and TOPIC...

dasein

#6 Post by dasein »

TrinitySeven wrote:...what is the release schedule for fixes on Debian Jessie (8.0)...
[snip]
I know there has to be a plan...
As it turns out, what you "know" simply isn't so. As any genuinely experienced Debian user already knows, Stable does not get updated for newness. Security fixes happen when/as the need arises and are promulgated immediately, without waiting around for a point release.

(Which is not to say that point releases don't happen; they do. And there is even a "typical" time between point releases, but, as h_o_a_s has already told you, there is no fixed "schedule.")

On another matter: if you imagine that you can barge in here and demand answers that you like, or that meet your preconceived notions of how the world "ought" to be, then you are gonna be really, really disappointed. Seriously.

(And if you were one-tenth as smart as you think you are, you'd know that already.)
Last edited by dasein on 2015-05-17 19:02, edited 2 times in total.

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

I don't think you searched very much,
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianStretch
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianJessie
and then the 8.0.1 comes out a day or two later
I don't see any plans for a 8.0.1 a day or 2 later,
http://startpage.com key words="what is the release schedule for fixes on Debian Jessie (8.0)"
Turns up a lot, I did not try google search yet, but I am sure it would also give a lot of results.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-a ... 00016.html
by Head_on_a_Stick » 2015-05-17 11:47
It is the only answer you will ever get.
I was writing this , when you posted, but basicly, that is correct "when it is ready",...
That is a really poor answer for someone who is looking for the PLANNED release schedule.
A "thank you, but that did not help me much" would be more polite, Are you allways this rude ?
because I used my abilities with search engines and came up blank so far,
Your "abilities" seem to be lacking.
do you do this in these forums on a regular basis?
Well not regularly, it depends on what kind of post the OP makes.
It really would help if people read this first : http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47078
when they are new to the forum.

fireExit

#8 Post by fireExit »

There's a few dates proposed for 8.1; with some possible bug fixes included.
TrinitySeven wrote:I mean if I DL the 8.0.0 and then the 8.0.1 comes out a day or two later, well then it would kind of miff me
but you know that keeping the system fully updated you benefit from the same bug-fixes whether you install now 8.0 or later 8.1?
Being a
TrinitySeven wrote:very experienced linux/Debian user
you should know that you don't need to redownload a new version every time a point release is released.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

0953 GMT, 17 June 2015.
MX Linux packager and developer

TrinitySeven

#10 Post by TrinitySeven »

well, facts are that I have used computers for 35 years now, studying extensively all that time in addition. Have used Debian for close to a decade now, and installed about 50 flavors of it or so. Interesting to note that very few of you seem to be able to discern even the simplest of information in such...ok I get your general responses though, you think you are all pro, debian does not have any sort of real planning to it, and waiting for a small fix which I sometimes like to do is completely ludicrous (I DLed the Mate 8.0.0 386 LIVE with non-free extras anyways of coarse). So wow, just wanted to know that you are about as helpful as a bunch of little children on the Steam gamers forums in this, I have had 13 yr olds troll me with the same lack of care or truth, well it's on your heads for all the mistakes you made in your accusing me of untrue things, my hands are clear of such...in addition it is nice to know, that maybe one person understood well, that I put 8.0.1 and NOT 8.1 which I am sure I could of readily figured out with a bit more ease than 8.0.1 in addition, the BRUTALITY of your names, should obviously point to the fact how strong the troll was in such (HEADS ON STICKS??? YEAH REAL FRIENDLY SOUL ARENTCHA HOW COULD I HAVE THOUGHT OTHERWISE WITH A CUDDLY NAME LIKE THAT)