Debian 8 (Jessie) on Mac G5 (PPC), Graphics Problems

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Debian 8 (Jessie) on Mac G5 (PPC), Graphics Problems

Postby 89Laredo » 2015-05-26 16:16

Note: I had a big post written but it didn't "read" well, and Id just like to start from the beginning with ideas on how to fix this. This may also be in the wrong section.

I did a quick forum search but didn't find much,I have asked on Reddit and only got one commenter (they were somewhat helpful, but we couldnt resolve my issue), searched google and followed some different forum posts/tuts but haven't fixed the issue. May just be a lack of skill, I need walked through this.

The computer is a "late" Mac G5, the one with the stupidly heavy aluminum case.
PowerPC dual core processor, 64bit
2gb Ram
Geforce 6600 Graphics
Currently has 7.8.0 Wheezy -official Powerpc
For now, this setup is working fine

I would really like to upgrade to Jessie with Cinnamon since I use Mint on my laptop and like it and Id also like to try running steam for giggles (which I highly doubt will work well). I have installed Jessie from DVD but it boots to this screen. I think I have it tracked down to a problem with Nouveau or Xorg, but haven't been able to fix it.

I'm mainly just looking for advice and seeing if anyone has actually made this setup work before I waste another 2 hours reinstalling Jessie from DVD and more countless hours in terminal unF***ing the graphics, I'm getting pretty irritated. For now Wheezy works, but as I said, Id really like to run Jessie.

Thanks,
Dylan
89Laredo

Re: Debian 8 (Jessie) on Mac G5 (PPC), Graphics Problems

Postby oswaldkelso » 2015-05-26 18:03

Best place to find an answer is the mailing list

https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2015/05/

or on irc

irc://irc.debian.org/debianppc

irc://freenode/debianppc

I don't know if it's as up to date as the mailing list but Ubuntu powerpc FAQ is usually quite good. they tend to at least document fixes from the Debian mailing list

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
oswaldkelso

Postby 89Laredo » 2015-05-30 03:53

I did some looking around on the mailing list but didnt really find much. Ill have to do some deeper digging.

Tried the nomodeset boot option. It gets me to a black screen with a purplish color cursor. Terminals still work.
89Laredo

Postby 89Laredo » 2015-06-10 01:01

Sending this from the offending mac computer...

Someone on the mailing list suggested adding "nouveau.noaccel=1" to the boot options. This got me to a GUI. Cinnamon was extremely slow in software rendering so I installed LXDE. Seems to be working pretty good, and is actually decently fast.
Id really like to have some hardware accel, but this will work for now.
89Laredo

Return to Beginners Questions